Dog adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog adoption

These two have known each other 3 months now and are best friends. Like all best friends they like to wind each other up on a daily basis, but only for a brief moment.
    [instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfXoUXB1k6[/instagram]

Comment

Dog adoption

And then the cat knocks him out?

Comment

Dog adoption

The dog often rushes the cat when she is bored. In return, the cat will basically jump up in front of the dog when she is half asleep and see if she can get her to rush. This ultimately always ends up with the cat going to the fifth step on the stairs, which has been established as too far for the dog to be arsed going.

80% of the time they lay together and sleep.

Comment

Dog adoption

I've been trying to talk the missus into getting another dog for a few years now (a lab like Hot Pepsi's) but I'm getting nowhere. We already have one dog and we're in an apartment. The dog we have is a toy fox terrier, so smaller than some cats. But as my daughter gets closer to starting university I'm on the fence about this push for another dog since I'd like to see if I can take advantage of some resources at work and perhaps live abroad for 6 months+. That's easier to do with a small dog and not very easy to do with a large dog. So I might wait a year and see what happens. If nothing takes shape with living abroad, another dog for sure.

Comment

Dog adoption

I love those fuckers. Unfortunately my lifestyle makes adopting one out of the question.

Comment

Dog adoption

danielmak wrote: I've been trying to talk the missus into getting another dog for a few years now (a lab like Hot Pepsi's) but I'm getting nowhere. We already have one dog and we're in an apartment. The dog we have is a toy fox terrier, so smaller than some cats. But as my daughter gets closer to starting university I'm on the fence about this push for another dog since I'd like to see if I can take advantage of some resources at work and perhaps live abroad for 6 months+. That's easier to do with a small dog and not very easy to do with a large dog. So I might wait a year and see what happens. If nothing takes shape with living abroad, another dog for sure.
              I'd love for Tonka to have a buddy, but two dogs would really strain my budget and make it harder for me to find dog-sitting when I have to travel.

Comment

Dog adoption

We've talked about getting a second dog in a couple of years or so. Phoebe will be nine by then, a younger companion can extend an older dogs vitality which would be nice — not that she shows much sign of slowing down at the moment. However it'd mean we'd be 80-ish when the younger dog was an older adult. I'm not sure that'd be fair on the dog, or us.

Comment

Dog adoption

DGLH that's a fantastic picture.

Reed, My parents are basically prisoners in their house because of their dog. One of them has to be there every night, and if they both have to leave for any length of time, I have to go out for the night. (The dog won't sleep in a kennel because of a trauma before we got her.)

A friend of mine inherited a shambling pile near curdworth, which is near tamworth outside birmingham, from his Granny who was a vet. (It's not a huge distance from Bosworth Field where Richard III met a sticky end.) Since there was a vets office in the place, the only thing he could think of to do with the place was to turn the outhouses and stables into a large Doggy Hotel.

There's a ring of them around birmingham, and if he could treble the size of his operation it would be full. There's an almost infinite number of people in birmingham who need to have their dog minded and I assume it's the same in every other English City. You could wind up paying a pretty Penny if you were had a couple of dogs and had to travel for work. He's had a couple of Aston Villa players leave in their dogs, and as a villa fan he's had to seriously restrain the urge to bury them in the back field. He's basically just restrained by the knowledge that it's really hard to get away with killing a millionaire.

Comment

Dog adoption

Dog adoption is on the cards in casa MS after the death of Mrs MS old faitful (sadly put down 2 days before Christmas), we have just gone to fetch his ashes. They came in a lovely wooden urn that we put on his favourite piece of carpet for a little while before he will be scattered in a favourite spot.

Obviously, our next pet will be outdoors minded and able to fit in a one man tent porch for when i go for a night out in the hills...

Comment

Dog adoption

Come on, you know you want to.

Comment

Dog adoption

Comment

Dog adoption

Various Artist wrote:
                          (*Good Sitter On Humans.)
                          I have one of those. Scraggy Cat now spends most of every evening curled up on my lap to the point where I end up with dead legs. Mrs of the Shed says that he will sit and wait by the sofa where I sit until I get home. He will not sit on her lap though.
                          Scrag is rather intolerant of other cats and does not like them in his garden. He is also somewhat wampy. Both traits, as well as his torn ears (hence the name), are probably a result of having to fend for himself for some time before we took him in.

Comment

Dog adoption

You like a bit of Strictly, eh?

Comment

Dog adoption

I can't stand the fucking show. I can't imagine why it is on, I can only guess that it was a show preview that happened to be on.

Comment

Dog adoption

Sorry about your old dog Moonlight Shadow.

Comment

Dog adoption

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: You like a bit of Strictly, eh?
                                  The Cat likes a bit of Strictly, and has moved the remote out of the way, before planking himself on Sean, and gently reminding him, by the oh-so-subtle pressure of needle-sharp claws, that Steps Will Be Taken if there is any sudden movement towards said remote without permission.

Comment

Dog adoption

Likewise - sorry to hear about your loss, Moonlight Shadow.

I would always advise to leave it quite a while between dogs, but when you are both finally ready, then you probably know where I would recommend looking for your next dog:

http://www.dogsblog.com/

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/

http://tinyurl.com/jl4x2fq

Comment

Dog adoption

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Various Artist
                                      I have one of those. Scraggy Cat now spends most of every evening curled up on my lap to the point where I end up with dead legs.
                                      I get the same problem with Cider – who's not the lightest of cats – when he sits on me for more than about 10 or 20 minutes, Sean. Is that a footstool your legs are on in the above pic? I've found through trial and error that grabbing one or two good-sized cushions and stacking them on the footstool (I suppose it could work on a coffee table as well, though stuff might go flying everywhere) plus reducing the gap to the sofa, so that they're piled under the backs of your knees, really helps. It raises the knees so that your legs end up bent more naturally, and obviously they're also better cushioned in general, all which alleviates a shitload of the discomfort when trapped sous le chat.

You're in Tamworth, aren't you, incidentally? Are you familiar with the place Berba was talking about by any chance?

Comment

Dog adoption

Sorry to read about your loss Moonlight Shadow. Its coming up for 2 years since I lost old Ted and I still get a lump in my throat whenever Facebook throws up one of these memory from x years ago pictures as they are invariably of me and the lad.

One of our two cats has had a couple of scrapes recently. She's a big softie and so has come off the worse. What she now does is wait until the dogs go out into the garden - she absolutely adores our staffie and he thinks the world of her - and wanders around quite happily with her minders. As soon as the dogs come indoors, she hurtles through the catflap and into safety. With the recent cold weather the log fire has been on a couple of times and she will quite happily curl up alongside both dogs and snooze away.

Comment

Dog adoption

That sounds really cool, I bet my cat would LOVE to have minders, but she hasn't got any doggie friends. She was being bullied about an hour ago in the front garden, and was behind a bin, but when I appeared and the other cat ran off, she went all nonchalant.

Comment

Dog adoption

The last two of our herd of cats are brothers from the local RSPCA rescue centre. We've had them since they were eight months old, they'll be nine years old in February.

Zebedee

Algernon

All of them together having a meaty treat a few minutes ago

Comment

Dog adoption

Various Artist wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Sean of the Shed
                                              Originally posted by Various Artist
                                              I have one of those. Scraggy Cat now spends most of every evening curled up on my lap to the point where I end up with dead legs.
                                              I get the same problem with Cider – who's not the lightest of cats – when he sits on me for more than about 10 or 20 minutes, Sean. Is that a footstool your legs are on in the above pic? I've found through trial and error that grabbing one or two good-sized cushions and stacking them on the footstool (I suppose it could work on a coffee table as well, though stuff might go flying everywhere) plus reducing the gap to the sofa, so that they're piled under the backs of your knees, really helps. It raises the knees so that your legs end up bent more naturally, and obviously they're also better cushioned in general, all which alleviates a shitload of the discomfort when trapped sous le chat.

You're in Tamworth, aren't you, incidentally? Are you familiar with the place Berba was talking about by any chance?
                                              I've tried all sorts of methods to make the time spent as a cat bed as comfortable as possible, but most end up with me eventually shuffling around until the cat gets pissed off with me and vacates my lap for the floor.
                                              I know the area Berba speaks of, but not the specific location.
                                              Anyway, I've been avoiding this thread for a while, as it's been a tough few day for old Scraggypuss. He was starting to get a tad distressed a few days back and his breathing was laboured, and he had started hiding under the bed, so a trip to the vet and a worrying wait at home whilst they did some tests revealed that he had fluid on his lungs and his heart was starting to fail. He has been given tablets for his heart, diuretics to help shift the fluid, small doses of aspirin to thin his blood and help his heart, and some multi-vits to give him a boost, especially his potassium levels.
                                              The first couple of days were a real worry as he was really struggling, but over the past few days he has shown some improvement, and returned to washing himself, going outside and sitting on my lap again. He won't consider anything but chicken to eat at the moment, and the diuretics are making him drink and piss like a dray horse. He's still a bit delicate and still spends some time upstairs, but we feel he is on the mend now and we are just taking things a day at a time. He might have to stay on the heart tablets for the rest of his days, but that doesn't mean he can't live a normal cat existence.

Comment

Dog adoption

Poor thing. Hope he responds well to the cocktail Sean.

Comment

Dog adoption

All the best to Scraggypuss, Sean.

I can understand how you must have been feeling - we had the shock of realising Muskrat had gone blind back in November. Luckily it was caused by hypertension rather than anything more serious and with his daily tablets he's made a full recovery. Next checkup due at the beginning of March, when hopefully we'll also get confirmation that his vet recommended change of diet is really making him put on weight again (he was down to just 3.3kg at the last checkup).

Comment

Dog adoption

Thank you. He seems to be more like his old self.
                                                    Glad to hear Muskrat is doing ok. Hopefully he'll be back up to his old fighting weight by the time of his next check up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X