No announcement yet.

Dog adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries Sits, and thanks Auntie Beryl - I will give that a try. Although Rafa has never mastered the art of walking to heel (I've been told you need to be a bloody good trainer to get a spaniel to heel), I think getting him up without him thinking about it and then keeping his momentum going is the key to it. He's 17 months so yeah, I think he's roughly the same age as yours. He's such a brilliant lad at so many other things but just has the odd little quirk like this which can be a challenge.

Comment

Our newer dog would do that when we first got him, my probably not-to-be-replicated approach was to pick him up under my arm and walk him four blocks away from the house and then put him down. Initially he'd try the "I'm not moving" trick and then take 10 minutes or so to realize that if he wanted to go back to the house, he'd need to walk, so then we'd do that. Then he started walking as soon I put him down and then after a week or so of that, he started going on a walk regularly. This is obviously much easier when the dog is a 12 pound poodle-chihuahua mix.

Comment

Any particular time of day or weather where he gets stubborn? Perhaps try a higher intensity treat, something with a strong scent? Hold it in the hand on his side. Apologies if stating obvious things you've already tried.

Comment

Louise refuses to do any faculties on her harness. We can walk for an hour and then she gets loose in the yard and gets through everything in minutes. Much like if she gets time alone out of her crate she will doubtless take a massive shit somewhere.

Not particularly bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
            Any particular time of day or weather where he gets stubborn? Perhaps try a higher intensity treat, something with a strong scent? Hold it in the hand on his side. Apologies if stating obvious things you've already tried.
            Thanks UE. I tried the treat thing last night and it worked, although he got through a few of them! He's completely random about it although it's more often when only one of us takes him out. Today he went out with me this morning no problem, but at teatime Mrs TrL tried and he ate all the treats and went no more than 150 yards, including the bit she carried him (@scratchmonkey - He's 14kg so can be carried, but not far!). We had our evening meal and took him out together and he was bloody fine again! He is a proper diva.

Comment

Ah, now we’ve had that issue now and again with both Simba and Molly. He’s not being bad, he’s just waiting for everyone.

Comment

2F5EEC86-F23B-4F76-9A92-AA8218AA1078.jpg

Comment

Are you taking pictures in the nude again?

Comment

That is one world-weary looking cat.

Comment

That's a promo picture for a new sitcom.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        That is one world-weary looking cat.
                        The cat is most frequently the instigator. She is a beast. If / when we get to brush her she looks quite amazing. All the same she is scared of nobody new and will eventually do her worst if you mess with her. Best cat ever.

Comment

Comment

Hey Annie! How you doing?

Comment

She’s going pretty well thanks! Has fit right in and is getting better and better at being left. First go in an off leash area with other dogs last weekend went smoothly too.

Comment

Great news Sits - really pleased that Annie has made you and your family fit into her lifestyle.

Comment

Great to see Annie making herself at home.

Comment

We can never seem to get Deedee to look at the camera as she always looks away at the vital moment, so I'm going to share this one even if it has got my ugly mug in it. We got this by me leaning behind her and waggling my fingers above her just out of shot.

IMG-20220926-WA0000.jpg

Comment

Nice one Sean - she looks a stunner.

Comment

Comment

A happy 3rd Gotcha Day to Max. The old fellow is around 14 now, has slowed up a bit, but can still give chase (but never catch) a rabbit at 50 paces. Always one for the ladies, he and Nell are due for a meet and greet on Sunday with a Golden Retriever called Lily*. She's about 8 years old and if all goes well between the three of them, which fingers crossed it will, she'll be coming home with us - updates to follow later in the week hopefully.

* My choice of name of Brenda Nowt was firmly vetoed by the family, including Leicester supporters. My second choice of Elsie FC was also rebuffed sadly.

Comment

Max is looking good, I'm sure Lily will be charmed.
                                            I don't suppose you've had dogs in in the past called Phil and Bert have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              Max is looking good, I'm sure Lily will be charmed.
                                              I don't suppose you've had dogs in in the past called Phil and Bert have you?
                                              Nope, but Keith the cat was named after Leicesters greatest ever player (Weller in case you were wondering).

Comment

Comment

Lily enjoying a well earned snooze after a nice long walk with Max and Nell earlier today. She's about 7 years old and was found dumped with her sister. Sadly her sister had a large stomach tumour (probably why they were abandoned) and had to be put to sleep earlier this year. Lily totally withdrew herself and has been a sad and lonely girl.

We collected her yesterday (great birthday present for me!) and taking it all very, very slowly. She's already friends with Max as he's always one for the ladies, and her and Nell are just on nodding terms. Lily is certainly a larger lady, she towers over our pair who aren't exactly small, but already seems like a gentle giant.

Early days, but all going brilliantly so far.

Comment

Oh, well done you – yet again – Foxy, that's another wonderful mission you've set yourself on with a pup in need. All the very best of luck with her mate, I'm sure Lily will come to understand very soon what a fortunate lass she is to have ended up in your household. She's a beautiful girl, of course. Hope to see more pics soon when she's settled in. And I hope she and Nell learn to make friends quickly, Max of course needing no encouragement there!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X