No announcement yet.

Dog adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Kelpie is also a mythical horse-like creature from Scottish folklore.

Comment

And these are the Kelpie statues that can be found somewhere near Falkirk

The_Kelpies_1-1_Stitch.jpg

Comment

Well well, I didn’t know that.

Comment

Nice one Sits, really pleased that Annie has found a home that will adore her to bits and will forgive any little mistakes that may happen.

Comment

❤️❤️❤️

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              Meet Annie. A one year old (estimated) Kelpie who came into the dogs' home as a stray a couple of weeks ago and if all goes well will now be staying here. A tiny thing*, 15kg and we're wondering if she's not quite stopped growing yet. Desexed and microchipped in the last couple of days so probably sore and exhausted.

*compared to Emily and predecessor Bob.
              Only just seen this Sits! Fantastic news, all the best to Annie and her new family and I hope all is going well so far, small accidents aside.

Comment

Thanks all. To say we are going to have to work hard on separation anxiety is an understatement. It’s been a long evening.

Comment

That’s three weeks already and she’s a great dog. The only challenge really is managing separation and that’s improving day by day. Pulling on the lead doesn’t really count as a challenge and we will definitely lick that (new harness bought today will help). For a 15kg dog she is incredibly strong and will get us fit for sure. We can take her to the local cafe and shops which we couldn’t with our previous dogs, as she will savage neither human nor other dog. She continues to decompress from prior traumas and is settling in very well. Eats, drinks, sleeps well. Mrs. S decided to rename her Annabelle which I wasn’t sure about; Annie still permitted for short. But it’s fine.

Today we met up with my son and his fiancée, and her 12yo cocker spaniel Paddy. They seemed comfortable enough together; she tried an exploratory nip but he told her in no uncertain terms to cut it out.

Comment

Comment

Really pleased it's going so well for you all Sits

Comment

Thanks Foxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          That's a really lovely photo. Glad to hear it's going good with Annie.

Comment

Missed this Sits. Love Kelpies. Annie looks a legend. Get the best ball chucker and hardest-wearing ball you can. Molly has had some issues since the boys moved out, but is getting back to normal. We've found a Kong toy or similar with treats inside and sealed with a bit of peanut butter distracts her well if we have to head out.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                              Missed this Sits. Love Kelpies. Annie looks a legend. Get the best ball chucker and hardest-wearing ball you can. Molly has had some issues since the boys moved out, but is getting back to normal. We've found a Kong toy or similar with treats inside and sealed with a bit of peanut butter distracts her well if we have to head out.
                              Thanks, yes they are real pack dogs aren’t they? She ignored a ball when it was offered but a small Kong with some Chunkers stuffed in it has been a decent distraction. She’s getting there with the separation, and really wants to be a good dog. She is sometimes scared by certain moves we make which will only go with time I suppose.

Comment

Does Annie have a crate? We'd not had one with our previous dogs, but Molly loved it. Bed base, some favourite blankies and toys and it became her go to space. We never shut her in but she'd happily sleep there overnight and retreat there if stressed. She only recently decided for herself a bed in our room was a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                  Does Annie have a crate? We'd not had one with our previous dogs, but Molly loved it. Bed base, some favourite blankies and toys and it became her go to space. We never shut her in but she'd happily sleep there overnight and retreat there if stressed. She only recently decided for herself a bed in our room was a better option.
                                  Yes, we bought one, set it up nicely and have just left it there. The last week or so she's started to get in now and then, trying it out. Importantly it must never be a place of punishment or banishment.

In other news, Mrs S has just shared on the family WhatsApp that our new friend has emerged filthy, after burrowing under the shed. This was at the cost of a prize buddleia, and in spite of my blocking the gaps with spare bricks and slabs of sandstone. One of these was simply dragged out of the way by the 15kg pocket dynamo.

Comment

Have typed a long post out but OTF won't let me post it and is giving me a 403 error... whatever TF that is. Have had this problem before so may have to try again from my laptop.
                                    Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 17-08-2022, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                      Have typed a long post out but OTF won't let me post it and is giving me a 403 error... whatever TF that is. Have had this problem before so may have to try again from my laptop.
                                      Yes I’ve had that on occasion. Also weird is that five minutes ago I got the red flag telling me you’d posted on this thread but on clicking it told me I was not permitted to see.

Comment

Maybe cos I was editing or deleted the first attempt? It still won't let me post what I wanted to, but basically it was a long tale about a recalcitrant spaniel in his teenage rebellion phase who doesn't want to go for walks. It's becoming a battle of wills and I was seeking tips on how to encourage Rafa to keep walking so that I don't make it an unpleasant experience for both of us by dragging him.

Comment

Blimey that’s tricky, our dogs have all been super excited about walks. Perhaps someone else may have experienced this.

Comment

Oh, he's super excited alright. But only til he gets as far as next door's path, or the end of the road (or this morning, 150 yards from the car in a lovely meadow/woodland that he (usually) absolutely adores sniffing his way around). Then he just plants himself and wants to go back. I'm going to try treats but he's not massively motivated by food in general.

Comment

There’s no possibility he’s got an njury?

Comment

Absolutely not. If we can get him to the end of the road he usually settles down and has a great time. He's just being an attention seeking arse but I'm wary of striking the right balance between not letting him win the battle of wills whilst also not making walks something that he doesn't look forward to - which for all his sit down protests, thankfully isn't the case.

Comment

Sorry, of course you’d know if there was an injury.

Comment

We went through this with our one. Boundary-testing, most likely, and a phase that should pass. If I recall correctly our dogs are around the same age, TrL?

We varied the route as much as possible (I see you're already doing this), and what worked for us was something that harked back to dog school - when he plonked his arse down, I'd align myself so he was sitting by my left ankle, and set off leading with my left leg, like a close 'heel' walk. He tended to follow that, then I'd pick up the pace for 100 metres or so yabbering at him all along until he'd forgotten his refusal.

Not foolproof, but worth a try? Worked on a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X