• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog adoption

Thanks evilC

Comment

Dog adoption

You probably knew all that anyway. Sorry if I'm going on a bit - I just love dogs.

If you've got a smartphone, you might like the app 'MyDog UK'. It's got advice, listings, etc. Need a vet (or a dog-friendly pub) at short notice? That app detects where you are and tells you the nearest ones! (Well, the nearest ones known to them, but you get the idea.)

Comment

Dog adoption

evilC wrote:
        You probably knew all that anyway. Sorry if I'm going on a bit - I just love dogs.
        Not at all - there's always room for more info.

Same here.

Comment

Dog adoption

Another month has gone, and she is now well and truly ensconced. Now able to run around, she has shed a lot of weight and is now a pretty elegant thing for a 57.

Behaviourally excellent, occasional barks at next door's dog through the fence. We now have a harness with clips above the shoulders and on the chest, used with a double-length lead with a clip on each end - rather like controlling a Barnstormer Stunt Kite. Theory being she will be more controllable as and when we encounter other dogs while out on walks - so far I have picked my moments, just before dark, just after heavy rain etc., to get some "trauma-free" walking experience in before exposing her to dog encounters just yet.

Overall it's all gone very well.

Comment

Dog adoption

That's a good smiley face. She's obviously very happy. Well done!

Comment

Dog adoption

Had a go at a beagle on tonight's walk, thankfully from the other side of the road.

So we're not home and hosed quite yet.

Comment

Dog adoption

You might find she's just a 'people dog' as mentioned upthread. My Molly is, so we just have to keep a tight hold of her when she's saying 'hello' to other dogs in case she takes a dislike to them.

P.S. Perhaps I missed it earlier. What's her name?

P.P.S. Those who are posting links to UK based assistance sites do realise that Stonelephant lives on the north shore of Sydney, don't they?

Comment

Dog adoption

Her name's Emily Willie.

Sorry, her name is Emily.

Not Emily Willie. Although it does have a certain mellifluousness.

And yes, tight hold. Both hands. Rather like tug-of-war, with her on her hind legs pulling in the opposite direction.

A bit like this:

Comment

Dog adoption

Fantastic stuff stonelephant, such a happy looking dog. Re: helpful links and stuff, we swear by Gwen Bailey for tips that 'just seem to make perfect sense once you've read them' if you know what I mean.

Certainly helped us to tame this vicious beast:

Comment

Dog adoption

Thanks a lot kevchenko - the link has also been passed on to Mrs. Stone - many hands make light work.

Your savage beast looks like a sweetheart - what's her name/story?

Comment

Dog adoption

Ah, sorry, was being sarcastic about Mabel, she wouldn't hurt a fly and is an absolute softie. We had her since she was a puppy but certainly found the GB book (Perfect Puppy) really useful there. The recent challenge was the arrival of our son last year, and her changing role from 'the baby' to, well, 'the dog'.

Comment

Dog adoption

Kev, the dog we had for most of my life was a Bedlington cross. She was a bit paranoid, but I liked her anyway! Yours looks considerably better-adjusted!

Comment

Dog adoption

It's now almost a year since Emily landed on us so I thought I would put up a couple of recent photos. She seems a very contented dog, devoted to us and a great companion. She is pretty territorial when lawnmowers etc. start up but absolutely adores people. The same still cannot be said for just about any other vertebrate, and walks are still undertaken with caution and careful timing, even if she is marginally improved.

This is her with a Mini-Emily we gave the little girl next door for her birthday a couple of weeks back:

and this is earlier today, mistress of all she surveys:

PS - as evilC spotted before we even got her, and the photos above show, she does indeed have extremely "flexible" hips and this is the way she usually sits/lies. Perhaps she will have hip problems down the track, but so far seems extremely happy and has been to the vet who wasn't concerned.

Comment

Dog adoption

Wow, look at her! What a pretty girl, and she looks like she owns the place.

Comment

Dog adoption

She does FF; she's currently reminding the neighbours of the fact.

Comment

Dog adoption

Did you ever find out what kind of mix she is? If I had to guess, I would say she's part Belgian Malinois, mixed with lab and maybe a little Doberman or Rottie. But when I first looked at her photo, the Malinois is what came to mind.

My sister adopted a rescue who had been either chained up or kept in a cage her entire first 18 months of life. She had already had one litter of puppies, and practically has no teeth (presumably from chewing on said chain or metal grating). She is highly reactive to dogs while she's out on her walks. My sister brought in a trainer to see if anything could be done to help her, but she ended up saying that some dogs never get over whatever trauma they suffered and will have issues their whole lives. So, going to the dog park is out.

Fortunately, we introduced her to my dog properly, and they get along very well when we go to visit. We also just introduced her to my nephew's puppy, so I'm happy that, even if she isn't able to meet new dogs, at least she has two canine playmates. Maybe in time that will help her become more relaxed when she's around strange dogs on the leash.

Comment

Dog adoption

If this is the dog thread, here's a video I made at the dog park last February:

(my dog is the Tina Turner lookalike)

Comment

Dog adoption

**DOG BORE ALERT**

FF we never got any better information than that she was German Shepherd with some Kelpie. Perhaps the Kelpie is why you might be seeing Malinois as they're not completely unlike one another to look at. (More on Malinois later). We reckon there's some Border Collie based on her ears, coat and tail, and Rottie based on colouring, shape, and demeanour when trying to look aggressive - she has impressive hackles. But no dog rescue centre would ever admit to Rottie as they would never find homes for them.

As for the Malinois thing we consider ourselves experts as our first dog, the much lamented Bob, was a Belgian Laekenois, but at least 25% Malinois. This is normal practice with Belgian Shepherds; he even had some Terveuren in him. Here he is in his youth when he had the body of a Laekenois and the head of a Malinois:

And I can't help but admire your dog's hairdo.

Comment

Dog adoption

Some very happy looking dogs, there - excellent!

This is what matters at Christmas, though. ...Well, one of the things, anyway! Adopting a dog would be good too, of course.

Talking of which, there's a special Christmas update edition of 'For The Love Of Dogs' on Christmas day at 6pm. Compulsory viewing for dog lovers! :-)

Comment

Dog adoption

we had our 1st dog from a RSPCA pound in July 2005, she was a staff cross 4 year old, she developed cancer in the front leg, she was put down in Dec 2011. there's obviously some luck involved, but £69 she cost us, she was given up by her previous owner and was off her food / pining when she came to us, and the joy she gave us was immeasurable.

one thing that can be offputting is that some of the charities are very demanding in what they expect from the owners, i cant help but feel if they were a bit more accomodating it may help to reduce the numbers in pounds and deter people away from breeders. a friend said to me once, when he told the worker in the council pound (who are less intrusive) that the dog would be left in the kitchen during working hours "she'll be better off on your floor, than she is on ours"

anyway, we have a little jack russell now, 2 today, we've had him just over a year, a free to a good home, we didnt wait long after our baby girl and half died last year, our house works better when theres a dog in it :-)

Comment

Dog adoption

I miss having a dog.

Comment

Dog adoption

30 years ja service wrote:
                                              one thing that can be offputting is that some of the charities are very demanding in what they expect from the owners, i cant help but feel if they were a bit more accomodating it may help to reduce the numbers in pounds and deter people away from breeders.
                                              Spot on - any idiot can go into a pet shop and buy a farmed puppy with no idea what they're taking on, we got the third degree from the rescue people. Which is great for the dogs that make it, but not the rest.

radmonkey, Emily sends her festive wishes:

Comment

Dog adoption

1 year ago, my wife and I decided to do some voluntary dog-walking at a local(ish) animal sanctuary that have a no-kill policy. To date, one kitten and a 12 year-old dog that no one wanted are now snozzing away in comfort in our living room. It was a decision that neither of us regret and if it wasn't for work commitments (I do 24x7 on-call 1 in 3 weeks) we would foresake tomorrows dinner and go and walk the dogs instead.

We love our 2 adopted animals (Mia the cat and Ted the dog) and would urge anyone who wants to help an animal but not to necessarily own one, to go and help their local rescue/sanctuary in any way they can.

Have a nice holiday time everyone.

Comment

Dog adoption

Emily was collected from her second annual holiday at kennels with a glowing report card. She made friends and her favourite pastime was listed as "rumbling" - Australian for play fighting - and "being silly with the others". Clearly dogs off leash without owners, are very different to those on leash with owners, but we're not complaining.

Comment

Dog adoption

Dogs are outstanding

Comment

Working...
                                                    X