Dog adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Happy gotcha day Max. Been a year since the old chap decided to adopt us and after an uncertain start, almost definitely caused by a horrible home life in his latter years as we have subsequently found out, he's proved to be a real character and loved to bits by everyone in the house; including the cat.

Comment

Congratulations Max. Hope you get a special treat to celebrate.

Comment

Judging by that photo, his special treat was a large spliff

Comment

Congratulations Max and Foxy.

Comment

I've just submitted an application to adopt a dog. My friend in Michigan is a dog groomer who volunteers at her local shelter. She messaged me with photos of a little boy they just got in today. He isn't even listed on their website yet, but she said she instantly thought of me when she saw him and heard his story. He was living with an elderly disabled woman and I don't know if she died or just had to give him up, but it sounds like we both need each other. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Best of luck FF, whatever happens.

Comment

Fingers crossed

Comment

Thanks, Sits and UA! It was exactly a week ago that Teddy left. It's not getting any less sad and I think the only way to heal my broken heart is to find another love.
                    Last edited by Femme Folle; 24-10-2020, 01:11.

Comment

Best of luck, FF.

Comment

❤️

Comment

Best of luck FF. Fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Sounds like you both need a bit of love FF, it'll do you good.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about the little dog in Michigan yet, but a friend sent me a link to an NYC rescue that has this little guy. So I applied to adopt him. The description of the kind of person and home the rescue thinks he would do well in is pretty much the description of me and my home and lifestyle. So I think (hope) I have a good chance of getting him. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose this one. I feel like this is my dog and of course, I'm going to be very disappointed if they don't pick me.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you. He's a cutey.

Comment

These are all good developments Femme Folle. I'm sure you'll find the ideal new friend soon.

Comment

Femme Folle I got a shiver when I saw you appear on this thread. I really hope you're successful.

Comment

Thanks, you guys. I was waffling about wanting another poodle, mostly because I was afraid of not being able to stop myself from comparing it to Teddy. But then I saw this little face and read his bio and he's going to need some work. He's nipped someone at his foster home, so they're looking for someone with experience with poodles and the ability and desire to work on his training. They want someone who works at home, preferably a single person with no children. I ticked so many of their boxes that it feels like it's meant to be. I'm trying to stay a little detached right now, because I don't want to get too attached before I've even met him, and especially before I know that they've chosen me.

I am freaking out a little bit because I have so much cleaning up to do in case the rescue wants to do a home visit. And also because it needs to be done before a dog comes here to live. Teddy was really good about leaving stuff alone, but my entire apartment is like Disney World for dogs who like to get into things. Especially cardboard boxes. I don't even know if they're doing home visits in the pandemic, but knowing NYC dog rescues as I do, they probably are.

Comment

Adoption places can be weird. They get locked on some things which may or may not be true. With Buster they wanted a house with few steps to access because he couldn't do stairs. First day in the house he was on the second floor. Turns out that Buster can't really be arsed with stairs but can rattle at them if needed. The new house has six and he batters up them multiple times a day - he only hesitates on the down in the dark.

Meantime my wife looking to add (another) cat found a place that was extremely picky because I have allergies. Even though we already have a cat of the same breed.

I guess it is just a sign that they do really care.

Comment

For sure--I can't really fault them for being diligent.

Comment

Would just having lost a dog be a plus or minus point?

Really hope it works out.

Comment

It depends on what happened to the dog. If it was hit by a car or poisoned or something preventable that wasn't treated in time, then that would probably be a negative, but almost everyone who has ever had a pet of any kind has experienced a loss due to old age or disease that took their pet's life in spite of them doing everything right. I don't see how anyone would look at that as a negative. I made sure that I mentioned in my application that he died suddenly from immune mediated thrombocytopenia. I mentioned that he was in ICU and that I spent a large sum trying to make him get better. Those are the kinds of things they want to hear.

Comment

It's almost crazy that the way I answered their questions on the application tracked so closely to what they wrote in the description of the kind of person he would do best with, because I didn't read it until after I had completed the application.

Comment

Wishing you all the best FF - hope that your application is successful as that will be one lucky dog to spend the rest of his life with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                    Femme Folle I got a shiver when I saw you appear on this thread. I really hope you're successful.
                                                    I confess I got the same on seeing nmrfox's was the most recent name, because I immediately feared something had happened to Max. Hadn't seen the last couple of months' posts, so relieved to find the only bits pertaining to Max were his 'gotcha day' from six weeks ago.

Unfortunately I also hadn't heard about Teddy – I'm so sorry FF, my belated condolences. I really hope you get this new little feller, he sounds right up your alley. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X