Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Sean! What a lovely cat.

Comment

In other good mews, Emily is fourteen today. She’s a tired old girl but we’re still content she gets enough out of life. A week ago she had a good check-up from the vet while getting her quarterly arthritis injection. He said clearly her hips are weak, the left in particular. But with the regime she’s on she’s doing really well. Walks have actually been upped this year; I had minimised them to reduce the stress on her but they told me that would just lead to atrophy in the arthritic areas. She now has a daily walk, not too far and not too strenuous, but it’s actually helped. She hardly ever needs help up from a shiny floor, which she was doing last year when I was being too cautious walks-wise (as it turns out).

She has a diet tailored to her age and needs:

Breakfast - two raw eggs or half a tin of sardines in oil. Special arthritis supplement added
      Kibble to nibble - special joint formula for older dogs
      Dinner - a tin or bagged wet food

She has two memory foam beds and on her “night bed” in the laundry is a plug-in heat pad which she loves. This along with a draught excluder means she stays warm at night in winter.

She remains, of course, an absolute light in our lives and probably a good part of our glue.
      Last edited by Sits; 26-08-2019, 01:03.

Comment

Happy Birthday to Emily. Her Birthday and Dalila's adoption day are the same day, which is nice.

Comment

Thanks, isn’t it just?

Comment

Settling in

Comment

Like she's been there years.

Comment

After an amazing 4 1/2 years, we said goodbye to Spud today. Since Nell moved in at the end of Aril he'd been like a new boy; he'd run and bounce around and play and suddenly it was like we'd inherited a 2 year old dog in a 12 year old body. Yesterday, while working from home, there was a big bump from our bedroom and Spud, who'd been sleeping on our bed, was on the floor, scrabbling frantically and drooling. I'd seen a dog fit before so just left him and it had passed within 30 seconds. He was a bit confused, dazed and bumped into things, but soon seemed refreshed after a wander in the garden and a drink. Later in the day he ate his dinner no problem, went for a walk and all seemed fine.

Hi seized again at 10pm last night, and again at around 1am, 3am, 5am and 8am. After each seizure, he was exactly as above, a bit dazed, a bit confused, but every time he went back to sleep only to be woken by his next seizure. We took him to the vets first thing and they did some blood tests to see if there was any internal body issues that could be causing this. Whilst at the vets he had a further seizure and the bloods revealed nothing that you wouldn't expect in a dog of his age. We could have gone down the expensive route of MRI scans, but all of the signs pointed to a neurological issue and most probably, a brain tumour. At 11:36 this morning, we said goodbye to Spud. We are both utterly heartbroken, especially Mrs f, as he was very much a mummys boy inside the house. Out walking he was my boy, his world then existed running within 10 yards of me and the contents of my left pocket, but once inside the front door, he had cuddles for only one person.

He had some horrible times in his life; six owners in seven years and two spells inside the Sanctuary attest to that, but since he adopted us on 30th April 2015 he has been an absolute joy. We've had fun, games, stitches (56 in my face when he accidentally caught me while being attacked by other dogs), a heart attack (he reacted to anaesthetic while undergoing an operation after we'd had him just six weeks), and he learnt how to live with other dogs and cats and was just a massive and wonderful character. He looked like a proper bruiser of a Staffie but in truth was a gentle lamb who just wanted to be loved and to respond in turn. He was a wonderful dog and we'll miss him like mad. Goodnight Spud x

Comment

!!!!!!!!

Comment

So sorry to hear that nmrfox.

Comment

Terrible news, foxy.

Comment

That's awful news, nmrfox. It sounds like he genuinely had the time of his life in the 4+ years with you though and that should mean a lot.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss, foxy.

Comment

Run free over the rainbow bridge, Spud. Very sorry for your loss. Good on you for giving him his best years at the end of his journey. Dogs who have been through what he had deserve that.

Comment

Gutted for you foxy. Lovely tribute though.

Comment

Exactly what TrL said. Lovely tribute.

Comment

Really sorry to hear this foxy and sad to see you return to OTF with this news. Look after yourselves.

Comment

So sorry Foxy, take care of yourselves.

Comment

Sorry to hear your news nmrfox RIP Spud

Comment

Very very sad.

Comment

Sounds like Spud had a wonderful last few years with you and your family Foxy, it's a wonderful thing that you found each other. So sorry for your loss.

Comment

So the day after Spud passed away, my wife, Nell and I went for a walk and my wife commented how strange it felt for her not to have her own dog to walk (Nell is very much a daddys girl). So after ringing a few rescues with our requirements - older male dog, good with other dogs and cats, not too small - a week last Saturday we took Nell along to a small rescue on the outskirts of Rotherham to meet Max.

Max is 11 years old and is a lurcher/staffie/something else/some other dog complete mutt cross. His owners moved house and decided to tie him in the back garden on an old sofa. He was pitifully thin, weighing just 10kg when his ideal weight should be nearly double that. When he was rescued thanks to a kindly neighbour, any loud noise would make him wet himself.

The first meeting went well between them. Following a successful home check last Monday he moved in with us. He's getting on really well with Nell, but for an 11yo he's full of beans and even long walks which have tired out the younger border collie haven't even got him panting. He can be a bit boisterous around Nell, but she lets him know when he gets a bit too playful and she seems to be really enjoying his company. The cat is working things out for herself still (as she does) and whilst he's been interested in her, he's not shown any signs that he will attack the cat. So far so very, very good - welcome to your forever home Max.

Comment

Wonderful news Foxy.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Great news. All the best to Max and his new fox family

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about for your loss and glad to hear of the new addition to the family.

As sad as it is when a dog dies, especially young, it's heartwarming to know that they knew love at least a little while. And dogs are better at living in the moment than we are, so even a short life with love is a lot for them. I follow a lot of dog-rescuers on instagram and try to give a few bucks to all of them (but there are soo many) and it's heartbreaking, especially when some poor abused dog doesn't make it. But at least they were loved and not in pain at the end.

This is the problem when you decide that you really care about animals. It's really fucking Armageddon out there and it's overwhelming. It's the same with people too, of course, but at least there seems to be a general recognition among most humans that other humans matter. But not yet with animals. I guess all we can do is small things with great love, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X