We've only got a few months to sort this out, boffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've only got a few months to sort this out, boffins

Financial year 2020-21. This will be referred to as "20-21". Which will be easily confused with calendar year "2021".

"This work needs to be completed for the start of "20-21". "Right-ho, see you in December." "March!." "What?".

What are we going to do?

It's unsortable. I've been dealing with it for ages.

Comment

Tougher than Y2K.

Comment

You lot don''t use the FY prefix, eh?

Comment

I'll switch the forum to the Mayan calendar if it helps.

Comment

Obviously necessary to resurrect the French revolutionary calendar - 20 Brumaire CCXXVIII:

http://www.windhorst.org/calendar/
            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 10-11-2019, 17:02.

Comment

I know it doesn't help with the initial question, but it does remind me of a former manager talking about her "ooeey" targets before being gently advised that they were "00/01"

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                You lot don''t use the FY prefix, eh?
                We do at my (mostly British style guide) workplace. But it's a bit confusing in that most companies here now have a calendar year reporting schedule, even though it's not aligned with taxes. Also, we use eg FY18 for our annual reports, which are published in December, to distinguish them from monthly and quarterly reports.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  It's unsortable. I've been dealing with it for ages.
                  Me too. Made worse by those (and there are a lot of them) who insist on verbally describing financial years in full, so 20/21 becomes Twenty Twenty Twenty Twenty One.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the men's and women's international cricket tournaments taking place in Australia next year.

Yes, it's Twenty Twenty's Twenty20s.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Me too. Made worse by those (and there are a lot of them) who insist on verbally describing financial years in full, so 20/21 becomes Twenty Twenty Twenty Twenty One.
                      I do that and it runs nicely off the tongue, although when dictating I will say "twenty twenty slash twenty one."

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        I'm looking forward to the men's and women's international cricket tournaments taking place in Australia next year.

Yes, it's Twenty Twenty's Twenty20s.
                        On the plus side it won't be long til we'll be free of people dressing up any sort of routine forward plan as their '2020 Vision'

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

How else do you distinguish 20/21 from 2021, orally?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

How else do you distinguish 20/21 from 2021, orally?
                            I usually find being surly and not talking to anyone at work is quite effective, but when forced to, with a slash usually, or prefacing it with "financial year" or "calendar year".

Comment

Isn't there anyone around who can help by saying what happened in 1919?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                I know it doesn't help with the initial question, but it does remind me of a former manager talking about her "ooeey" targets before being gently advised that they were "00/01"
                                I've got a student called Ooi. On the 'virtual learning environment' list it looks like 001, so the other students make Bond jokes about him

Comment

Working...
                                X