keyboards etc - useless waste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keyboards etc - useless waste?

I have a couple of spare keyboards that I used with an old desktop computer maybe 10 or 12 years ago. Would it be safe to assume that they will be of no interest to anybody and so should go straight to the tip rather than trying to find them a new owner/charity shop or similar?

Same question for a bag of miscellaneous leads and adaptors (TV, VCR, DVD, computer related) that I have accumulated over years and have been languishing in cupboards for several more years.

Any helpful guidance really appreciated. Maybe they will be able to advise me at the tip (Milton, Cambridgeshire).

Sorry if this is a really stupid post.

I brought four old laptops down to the Curry's to get them to take all old photos and stuff off them before recycling. One of these laptops accompanied Garcia to the Japan/Korea world cup. The guy behind the counter stared at it in amazement, like one of those Antiques roadshow people when presented with Excalibur or something. Don't you have electrical recycling pick up points at your electrical stores?

Comment

Freecycle can be excellent for these things. My office recently offloaded a ten year old rusty, filthy microwave. Some guy wanted it for parts. You’d be surprised.

Comment

Or find a Facebook local reuse project. I've recently offloaded these items which couldn't be sent to a charity shop:
        - set of three potties / kids urinal and some potty training books
        - opened packets of swim nappies
        - a steam bottle steriliser (working)
        - a kids wetsuit with a large rip in one leg

It's amazing what people will take and find a use for.

Comment

If the keyboard connects to a port like this:

then it is seriously outdated and you can probably throw it out. If it connects via USB, it may very well still be useful to someone.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and thanks Wouter in particular for posting those images and explaining the relevance of the ports - I'll check tomorrow and act accordingly!

Comment

Our local Office Depot / Staples accepts all used electronics items and makes sure they're disposed of properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                If the keyboard connects to a port like this:
                then it is seriously outdated and you can probably throw it out. If it connects via USB, it may very well still be useful to someone.
                Unless it's an IBM Model M, then it's worth good money.

Comment

You can get PS2 to USB adapters. But those might cost more than the keyboard is worth. Depending on the type of keyboard. As said above, if it is an IBM Model M, then you can probably get 100 quid for it.

Comment

Just to extend this, remove a few keys from the keyboard. If there's a membrane underneath, then send it for recycling. If there are springs under the keys, then I suggest you look it up on eBay.

Comment

I recently took a load of old PC junk to Milton tip and as I added it to the 'small electrical waste' skip it occurred to me that the gold density in that skip must be comparable to your average commercial gold mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X