No announcement yet.

General Election, December 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just don't understand "Owning the Libs" culture.

It is what primarily animates close to a third of the US electorate at the moment.

Comment

It's bog standard bullying tactics, and if you ignore it they have nowhere else to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        The Ignore Poster option is available, folks.
        I tried that but it didn't work. Does it take a little while?

Comment

I assume it takes a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I tried that but it didn't work. Does it take a little while?
            Given he only posts once every few months, hardly worth the effort?

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
              Why you'd want to celebrate the election of a racist, lying Government that will undoubtedly have a bad impact on members of your family for years to come, LukeR, is beyond me - but you do you...
              This is how "whiteness" works, apparently. People are so afraid that somebody that doesn't look like them might get something "for free" that they'll take down their own family and/or community to prevent that.

That's not an original thought. I just read it in a book review in Sojourners. Now I can't find it. But it sounds true.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Given he only posts once every few months, hardly worth the effort?
                It's the principle.

Comment

Which are you most proud of Luke?

Abolishing the right to strike or voter suppression?

Comment

And now it's a politically appointed judiciary that's being mooted

Comment

Or abolishing protection for child refugees?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        How does it work now? I really don't know.

Politically appointed judges seem like a bad idea, but not as bad as regularly elected judges. What is the alternative? My first thought is that the Bar should pick the judges and then the judges could elect the judges for the higher court, with some mechanism for the voters to recall them if they really go off the rails. But that could go very wrong too.

Comment

"Get Brexit Done"

Much like Trump, the big distraction out front will cover for the heinous shit that's going on in the back rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                            Given the traditional independence of the legal system in the UK, I wonder if some kind of judges' strike/work-to-rule or other actions would be possible or indeed supported by judges at all levels?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              The Ignore Poster option is available, folks.
                              I'm really sorry to say this Snake but could you not ban him?

Comment

Based on? Gloating? Having abject opinions? Doesn't seem enough to me. I don't like the dude much either, but banning sounds like one step too far.

Comment

Agree

Comment

Can I make a plea, please, for people not to quote at length from his posts? It kind of makes the "ignore poster" function a bit pointless. Ta.

Comment

He’d love to be banned.

Comment

Every so often I think about putting up posts explaining my thought processes on stuff like this, and then I remember that that will never end well. Always happy to explain via PM (or over a pint one day).

Comment

Haha. Think your instincts on that are sound, and as ever thanks for your largely thankless task.

Comment

Yes, thanks for that.

I did think his post was more than just disagreement and ventured into personal abuse. We don't have to accept that. But given that we have the IP function, I'd error on the side of leniance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

This is how "whiteness" works, apparently. People are so afraid that somebody that doesn't look like them might get something "for free" that they'll take down their own family and/or community to prevent that.

That's not an original thought. I just read it in a book review in Sojourners. Now I can't find it. But it sounds true.
                                              This:

https://sojo.net/magazine/november-2...essed-ideology

Comment

YES! I couldn't find that for some reason - not that I tried very hard. Thanks.

As Nadia Bolz-Weber, another progressive Christian, is fond of saying "We all want to know who we're better than." So many people can't stand the idea of somebody else getting something "they don't deserve." And, sadly, so many of these people call themselves "Christian" even though one of the central messages of the New Testament is that grace is the exact opposite of "getting what we deserve."

Comment

Media was reporting in days just before election that pound was rising due to prospect of Tory victory (even though polls were narrowing at the time). Since the election, the pound has gone into freefall. Not a pup out of the media about it.

Comment

Brexit has highlighted that even the shiteness of RTE is streets ahead of the fuckin BBC equivalent. They are a fuckin disgrace.
                                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 21-12-2019, 01:34.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X