No announcement yet.

General Election, December 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I don't really want any debates either. On a parochial level I'm just heartened that the left wing of SLab have woken up to the need to have a second ref in Scotland. Maybe a new dawn is coming. If there is a way out for Lab North of the North, it is through being agnostic at the least re Indy, or even full on Indy. Christ if i was in Scotland I'd rather vote for Indy Leftish Labour than the SNP.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-12-2019, 21:47.

Comment

Isn't the point of the SNP to take over that "indy leftish labour" corner and then make it cooler by dressing it up with a bit of Scotland nationalist tat?

Comment

Not really HP. Slab was the monstrously corrupt voice of central belt local govt since the 60s at least. In a country where the majority (around 60%) lived in council housing till the 80s (a higher proportion than in Warsaw Pact Hungary etc) that gave labour councils massive power over folks' lives through housing boards etc. And it was abused as much as you would expect from a party that feared no electoral consequence.

Slab deserves their reckoning, however flawed they are the SNP have led the devolved govt since 2007 far better and with more competence than Slab/Lib Dems managed between 1999 and 2007.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-12-2019, 22:03.

Comment

I'm trying to work out what position Labour could have taken on Brexit and succeeded. The ultimate damned if they do (and few will admit that Corbyn was right from a strategic standpoint to be reluctant to endorse a second referendum, even if it is - as I believe - the morally and intellectually correct position).

Uktimately, a lot of people who have been ignored for nigh on 40 years by both Tory and Labour, got to finally have their voice heard in 2016. And they weren't going to vote for people who told that that they were wrong.

To quote a great man* "Was on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

* Well. He was alright.

Comment

Also Scotland has had a hegemonic Standing Up For Scotland quasi nationalist party since the second reform act in the 1860s. First the liberals till they were broken by the Irish Question, then the Unionists (who took the Tory whip) till the 50s, Labour between 1964 and (esp during the Thatcher years) 2007, now the Nats.

the Tories (Unionists) ran against Atlee's post war Labour on an anti centralising Bad for Scotland ticket in 1955, and won a majority of the vote. Even the Nats only managed 49% in 2015, 45% last week.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-12-2019, 23:51.

Comment

I didn't know all that detail, but that seems to confirm what I was suspecting, that Scottish Labour left themselves vulnerable to losing seats to a progressive party that could distinguish itself, not only by just being a different party, but by standing for something a lot of people found attractive - Scottish independence - even if they weren't quite sure of all the details on how that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                I'm trying to work out what position Labour could have taken on Brexit and succeeded. The ultimate damned if they do (and few will admit that Corbyn was right from a strategic standpoint to be reluctant to endorse a second referendum, even if it is - as I believe - the morally and intellectually correct position).
                I'm not sure Corbyn took the correct position. It still makes no sense to me. But I do concede that the evidence is in that there was probably no good position to have taken. Maybe immediately following the referendum committing to an EEA/Norway style Brexit and pushing on the Tories every time they wanted something harder? But even with 20:20 hindsight, it's totally unclear that would have worked.

By the way, Britain's "But her emails" is "But anti-semitism". It's the bullshit excuse that justifies either just not liking Corbyn/Clinton; or, more likely, a fig-leaf for voting for a racist.

Comment

By the way, Britain's "But her emails" is "But anti-semitism". It's the bullshit excuse that justifies either just not liking Corbyn/Clinton; or, more likely, a fig-leaf for voting for a racist.
                  Yes, that's more precise.

Comment

Corbyn's key failure probably was being ineffectual in the 2016 Refendum campaign itself. He might have beaten Cameron's successor in a 2020 election with no Brexit to block his other messages.

Comment

But he'd seen what happened to Miliband during indyRef and the Lib Dems in 2015. He was right to stay away from Cameron as much as possible. (And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the media painted the referendum as largely an internal Tory soap oopera squabble and didn't bother debunking the lies or examining the issues.)

Comment

Similar problem to one of the 2019 issues - refighting the previous unsuccessful campaign rather than the current one.

Comment

The BBC continuing its noble record of fearlessly holding rhs Opposition to account.

[URL]https://twitter.com/stevenicksmith/status/1207337145809158145?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Good of them to remember that the views of ex-Prime Ministers on the current state of their party is actually newsworthy after all.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1207404714209492999?s=21[/URL]

Comment

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1207421853033205760

Comment

Getting shot in the back while running away and having bombs planted on you is pretty vexatious alright.

Comment

Fuck Tom Newton Scum and his image of a mass murder committed by British troops

Comment

Just read back the election day comments in particular and was at first feeling a fair amount of empathy and then a bit sorry for all those who would feel the loss quite badly, particularly the decent folk here, of which there are a good few.

That was right up until that magnificent exit poll moment when many of your number got the mother of all - absolute-fucking-kickings! Ha ha!. The thread became time-capsuled, comedy gold for a bit, after that.

Advice from someone who is (raises one eyebrow/allows momentary smidgen of champagne-soaked reflected glory) obvs in touch with the current all-conquering electorate maybe a little bit better than most on here; You're all going to have to get a little more magnanimous in defeat or have to become very comfortable with losing (like you're not anyway ha!, I guess it's your usp isn't it? I'll carry on though).

I direct that last comment particularly at the worst kind of jumbo-sized ficko zealot, who increasingly view their and all their opponent's arguments mainly in terms of good and evil. If they're interested at all, they will eventually need to try to think about truly convincing election-winning amounts of people outside of their stinky ass, loser bubble, to vote the way they would prefer. Most of this ilk have unfortunately had to convince themselves (and are deeply mistaken too) these potential voters of the future are racist, fascist, sexist, homophobic and stupid to a notably greater degree than themselves. Also, these particular voters know that is exactly how these particular activist arseholes feel about them and are becoming more immune to it by the second.

The type of SJwanker loser (of which there are shitloads on here) who believes these things about vast swathes of the population, has to believe this crap to justify the intellectual dead end and far too easily accepted race-to-the-bottom hatred which exists among their ideologically dead peers. Good luck (not really) with that, if you're bothered at all. Nasty basturds.

All in all, great fun and a wonderful time is being had by myself atm, reading and watching the fallout everywhere, and I usually drop by here to view the usual donuts lose their shit on very special days like that, even if I don't always comment. It's really fun, keep it up.

For those that see this and feel hurt, ha ha ha, it's fantastic watching you lose and genuine thanks for the lolz.

Comment

Shut the fuck up.

Comment

The I don’t know about all voters but yes a large group of them are racist and homophobic- and we know you are one of them.

the Conservative /Brexit/Britain First Party is a coalition of the aristocracy and the extreme right of a kind we’ve seen before under Oswald Mosley.

Thanks to a extremely right wing media and an economic crisis in many areas you’ve got away with it , despite still being a minority in the country.

The only strategy you have is laughing at losers because you’ve fucked this country- perhaps forever. you have a pleasure in cruelty which you share with Johnson Farage and Trump. That’s why you
                                          like a Government of bullies, because you’re an insecure creep with lots to be insecure about.

hope you lose your job and you and your loved ones suffer bitterly as the NHS is abolished. May all your nightmares about the other come to pass. your daughter in a hijab and your son a muscle Mary and they will hate you when they realise what you have done. You’ll be sitting around alone in your piss stained uniform -there’ll be no care home
                                          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 19-12-2019, 11:26.

Comment

A good example as to why not too much time should be wasted recapture that demographic, they are long gone. They can have their moment of triumph as far as i am am concerned, not much else will follow...

Comment

I don't know that Luke R being a stupid cunt has as much to do with the state of the nation as he'd like us to think, tbh.

Comment

The Ignore Poster option is available, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke R View Post
                                                  Just read back the election day comments in particular and was at first feeling a fair amount of empathy and then a bit sorry for all those who would feel the loss quite badly, particularly the decent folk here, of which there are a good few.

That was right up until that magnificent exit poll moment when many of your number got the mother of all - absolute-fucking-kickings! Ha ha!. The thread became time-capsuled, comedy gold for a bit, after that.

Advice from someone who is (raises one eyebrow/allows momentary smidgen of champagne-soaked reflected glory) obvs in touch with the current all-conquering electorate maybe a little bit better than most on here; You're all going to have to get a little more magnanimous in defeat or have to become very comfortable with losing (like you're not anyway ha!, I guess it's your usp isn't it? I'll carry on though).

I direct that last comment particularly at the worst kind of jumbo-sized ficko zealot, who increasingly view their and all their opponent's arguments mainly in terms of good and evil. If they're interested at all, they will eventually need to try to think about truly convincing election-winning amounts of people outside of their stinky ass, loser bubble, to vote the way they would prefer. Most of this ilk have unfortunately had to convince themselves (and are deeply mistaken too) these potential voters of the future are racist, fascist, sexist, homophobic and stupid to a notably greater degree than themselves. Also, these particular voters know that is exactly how these particular activist arseholes feel about them and are becoming more immune to it by the second.

The type of SJwanker loser (of which there are shitloads on here) who believes these things about vast swathes of the population, has to believe this crap to justify the intellectual dead end and far too easily accepted race-to-the-bottom hatred which exists among their ideologically dead peers. Good luck (not really) with that, if you're bothered at all. Nasty basturds.

All in all, great fun and a wonderful time is being had by myself atm, reading and watching the fallout everywhere, and I usually drop by here to view the usual donuts lose their shit on very special days like that, even if I don't always comment. It's really fun, keep it up.

For those that see this and feel hurt, ha ha ha, it's fantastic watching you lose and genuine thanks for the lolz.
                                                  I'm genuinely pleased for you. The biggest loser on the board can feel like a winner for a day. It's got to be a refreshing break from the mind numbing drudgery of being you. Enjoy.

Comment

Why you'd want to celebrate the election of a racist, lying Government that will undoubtedly have a bad impact on members of your family for years to come, LukeR, is beyond me - but you do you...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X