No announcement yet.

General Election, December 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last day of term is reportedly the 13th at most universities, though I understand that many students leave before then.

Comment

In Ireland an election midweek or during term time depresses ver kids vote, as most are registered by their mammy in the family home. Bar the marriage ref, almost all elections here happen midweek during term time, ensuring a low youth vote to the benefit of the centre right shites that shall rule forever.

Comment

I've a mate almost 40 who is still
        registered in the Tipp gaff he left aged 18. Unsurprisingly, the eejit has never voted. Keeps meaning to but.

Comment

Though now he's just moved back to hellscape North Tipp he's no fucking excuse.

Comment

Looks like a month and a half of listening to Classic FM in the car to get away from the election. Comforting MOR classical music and ads for dental implants only, thank you.

Comment

The 12th it is

Comment

Glorious.

Comment

Bollocks, the 9th has gone - buggers up my domestic plans - but hey ho, off we go...

Comment

What happened to the compromise of the 11th?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      What happened to the compromise of the 11th?
                      Never got as far as an amendment, anyway.

Comment

I'll be away with my partner on the between the 12th-16th. Postal voting though, so we'll be sorted long before.

Dreading the whole process. Can't bear it.

Comment

On a sensible level this is good, but on a selfish level it sucks, because there were lots of things I wanted to do before the end of the year that didn't involve writing about politics.

Comment

My feeling is that this will be disastrous. But I also think that nobody really had any choice.

Comment

If the SNP win around 45-50 seats (taking at least 9 from the Tories) and the Tories lose a further 20-30 around London, I just can't see the Tories making up the difference in Oop North Brexit Labour seats.

Right now I'm placing my trust in my man John Curtice and predicting a hung Parliament where Labour have the best chance of cobbling together a minority Govt. If it means Indyref2 is the price so much the better.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                My feeling is that this will be disastrous. But I also think that nobody really had any choice.
                                Think this is a widespread feeling. I think we are going to hit new depths in this country in terms of the quality of debate in the campaign, and it's going to be divisive. It's also going to be a complex election and no one should be betting on the outcome at this stage. I'm sort of glad it's underway, but already want it over.

Comment

So is the fixed term Parliament act gone now? Corbyn could call the next election for Spring 2025.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    If the SNP win around 45-50 seats (taking at least 9 from the Tories) and the Tories lose a further 20-30 around London, I just can't see the Tories making up the difference in Oop North Brexit Labour seats.

Right now I'm placing my trust in my man John Curtice and predicting a hung Parliament where Labour have the best chance of cobbling together a minority Govt. If it means Indyref2 is the price so much the better.
                                    I'm also clinging on to this line of maths - and add in the Brexit Party effect (assuming there is one) which could see the Tories losing seats like Carlisle if (and that's a big if) Labour don't shed too many Remain voters. Incidentally our Tory MP was successful in the ballot for Private Members Bills last week, but now won't get the chance to propose whatever nonsense he was planning.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                                      So is the fixed term Parliament act gone now? Corbyn could call the next election for Spring 2025.

Well, there seems to a widespread feeling that it's a bad act that should be amended or repealed. It's purpose was to keep the Conservative-LibDem coalition government together rather than for any, nobler ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                                        Think it is still in place and today's manoeuvrings were to get round it, not to repeal it.

Comment

I knew if I waited long enough, LS, I'd agree with one of your posts...it's only taken 12,030 goes mind...

Comment

Ha! I take it back.

Comment

Also praying you're right.

But as good as it'll get. Labour vote extremely vulnerable currently though.

Comment

Sky News have already been on to the Met Office. For 12 December, above average temperatures are more likely than below average temperatures, reportedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  Sky News have already been on to the Met Office. For 12 December, above average temperatures are more likely than below average temperatures, reportedly.
                                                  Climate change strikes again

Comment

Put me in the pessimistic camp. Johnson is going to get his majority. Farage, who has criticised the deal as not being real Brexit, will find a way to turn a blind eye to that and get into bed with the Tories and that will be that. Labour's position, nowhere near as confusing as opponents like to make out, isn't as straightforward as get Brexit done or revoke article 50. Those two simple messages will win the day in England and Wales and don't be surprised if the Tories hold on to quite a few of those seats in Scotland.

I thought Johnson's treatment of the loyalists in Northern Ireland would lose him quite a lot of votes in the West of Scotland. However, and i know this is anecdotal, my friends who you would say have a loyalist leaning love Johnson because he attacks Corbyn for his supposed backing of the IRA. No matter how many times i point out that the DUP see Johnson as threatening the Union they just reply with, "yeah but what about Corbyn or that Sturgeon?"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X