No announcement yet.

General Election, December 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presumably if either of them were to pass, the government would pull the bill anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      The wiki page has an interesting list of people not standing for re-election. The names that stick out for me: Twigg (Potillo's nemesis), Stewart (falling off the radar even more quickly than Paul Ryan did in the US), Letwin, Hoey, Greening, Fallon, Clarke, Burt, Boles, Clwyd. A surprising number of the 2010 intake are off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_U...neral_election
      I see my old mate Steve Pound is jacking it in. I'd better find out where he wants his Christmas CD sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
        Labour to back amendments lowering the voting age to 16, and extending the franchise to EU nationals, but considered unlikely that either will be selected by the Speaker.
        Why won't the Speaker select them?

Comment

Why won't the Speaker select them?
          Could be considered outside the remit of the Bill.

Comment

Seems to me deciding who should be allowed to vote is very much in the remit of a bill to call an election

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
              Presumably if either of them were to pass, the government would pull the bill anyway.
              While the BBC play clips of Johnson calling Labour scared of an election.

Comment

Will the dark evenings have a bearing on campaigning? What if the weather is absolutely shitty?
                A particularly icy day might dissuade the grey vote from venturing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  Labour to back amendments lowering the voting age to 16, and extending the franchise to EU nationals, but considered unlikely that either will be selected by the Speaker.
                  Should have proposed this some time before, can't imagine there is time to implement such an amendment in the short time before this election.

Comment

It's a very bad precedent to set as well, though clearly it's rather different when the opposition is proposing it than the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                      It's a very bad precedent to set as well, though clearly it's rather different when the opposition is proposing it than the government.
                      But in theory there shouldn't be a bill like this to have an election, so likewise in theory attaching amendments to it is not a precedent at all.

Comment

It's not really about attaching amendments to a bill, it's about changing the franchise rules this close to an election. It wouldn't be any better if it were separate legislation.

Comment

And, to be fair, not aware of any European country that opens up national elections to the entire EU.

Comment

I'm fine with that in principle (and the 16 thing, or at least I think it should be normalised with military service age). I think all permanent residents should get a vote in every country.

Comment

I presume that trying to allow EU nationals to vote in GEs is all about the presumption that they'd skew towards Remain parties, but has there been any research on where they fall on a straight Left-Right spectrum?

Comment

Neither amendment has been accepted. They are about to vote on the Dec 9th date.

Comment

So, dummy it down for a foreigner: will Corbyn campaign on Remaining or on a new referendum or a negotiated exit or what?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    So, dummy it down for a foreigner: will Corbyn campaign on Remaining or on a new referendum or a negotiated exit or what?
                                    It's a general election so parties will be campaigning about all their policies. Though obviously Brexit will be the one most talked about

Comment

In answer to your question though I think the party policy is for a second referendum

Comment

I think it's for renegotiated departure terms and then a referendum, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          I think it's for renegotiated departure terms and then a referendum, isn't it?
                                          And campaigning for remain during a referendum.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1189248040214900748

Comment

I'm surprised Clarke is considering another five* years in the commons, or Soames for that matter.

(*yes I know)

Comment

Greg Clark not Ken Clarke.

Comment

Can someone clarify this "Last day of university term is 9th December" thing? Because that's a Monday, so it doesn't seem to make much sense as a last day of anyone's term.

Comment

Most UK Unis aren't even finished on the 12th I believe. But Cambridge has so, y'know.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X