Food you've not had in ages but would be nice right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food you've not had in ages but would be nice right now

Nougat. The Italian stuff not the pink and white one.

Yes. In our former, English based lives we drove down to the Riviera to go Eurocamping. On the return trip we stopped in Montelimar, home of nougat^ and bought a fair stock so we could take some home. It probably doesn’t need confirming that it was all gone before we got to Burgundy.

^is it?
    Last edited by Sits; 20-10-2019, 09:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      ^is it?
      Of course not. The ancient Middle East according to Wiki.

Comment

Pah. Good luck finding Soubeyron in Baghdad nowadays. Montélimar: Home of nougat and home of laverte (as bairn). i caught the bus from school outside one of the manufacturers and i always felt slightly sick at the thought of all that sweet goo sitting there waiting to be gobbled down by passing tourists on the route du soleil. Of the three employment options in the town, nougat was the fanciest, although the power station paid more. Both looked down on the folks who worked at the motorway services, especially the ones that sold phoney industrial nougat. Take away its claim to be the home of nougat and i am not sure what happens to the town. Nothing good.

Comment

I haven't had a burger from the place with the clown in over two years. Not wholly on principle or dietary grounds, if I'm being honest, more that the only ones near me aren't on the high street but are drive throughs out of town on retail parks I don't go to. On Thursday someone gave me a flyer entitling me to a free burger and fries, to be claimed by the end of the month, and now all I can think about is driving out of my way to go and get one.

Comment

A fry up cooked by someone else, I have a stinking hangover.

Comment

The pub chain that ad hoc and EIM won't set foot in do a cheap breakfast, and you could have a hair of the dog pint (if nowhere else is open at 9 am).

I think Hungry Horses open at 9 on a Sunday too.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-10-2019, 07:42.

Comment

Smoked haddock with a poached egg. There's lots of food I have occasional cravings for since going veggie, but I have to say I miss seafood the most.

Comment

A proper Thai takeaway would hit the spot right now.

Comment

Bread pudding.

Comment

In the end I made eggy bread.
                      ​​​​​​
                      I worked in two Hungry Horse pubs as holiday jobs. Like fuck would you catch me eating there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                        In the end I made eggy bread.
                        ​​​​​​
                        I worked in two Hungry Horse pubs as holiday jobs. Like fuck would you catch me eating there.

You grew up in Chipstead, didn't you? Don't tell me that you worked in that HH on the way to Coulsdon?

Comment

Chips cooked in animal fat. Not healthy obviously but would be gratefully scoffed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            On the return trip we stopped in Montelimar
                            Ah, Savoy Truffle earworm.

Comment

Well, i had a cheese fondue yesterday after a long break since february, delightful stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                Well, i had a cheese fondue yesterday after a long break since february, delightful stuff!
                                Why does everybody know when they last ate stuff? Rogin with his last McDonald's, you with your last fondue. Do you all write it down or something?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  Why does everybody know when they last ate stuff? Rogin with his last McDonald's, you with your last fondue. Do you all write it down or something?
                                  Not yet senile maybe...?

Comment

Parkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      Parkin.
                                      You're a bugger AdeC, I was just about to write down how well a good old-fashioned fish and chips would go down now, bit of salt, bit of vinegar, no fancy trimmings, and you go and plant a bloody parkin in my mind. My Mum made one when I was last over in England, god alone knows when I'll see my next one,

Comment

In comparison you're lucky. I haven't had one since I visited my Gran as a kid. I should make one. It can't be difficult, in fact this is exactly the right weather for it.

Comment

I gorged on Parkin for a few weeks when Tesco had a promotion earlier this year. Splendid stuff i have to say...

I suddenly miss those Swedish cinnamon buns you can get from Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            A proper Thai takeaway would hit the spot right now.
                                            I have just had Thai noodles, curry and rice.

The noodles came from a pot, the rice from a pouch and the curry from a jar but hey, it filled a hole and I didn't give myself food poisoning so I'm calling it a win.

Comment

I'm not a big dessert eater but I'd love something sweet to eat right now and there's nothing much in the house.

I've had a couple of hobnobs with peanut butter on them which has just about stemmed the craving.

Comment

What's Parkin?

Comment

Muukalainen good to see you, hope you're well.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X