Super Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Saturday

This should be in at least three forums.

It's always one of those strange things about following the news and sport at the same time. Feeling genuinely excited because your team equalises at Tranmere but then somewhere gets invaded and you hear about it at half-time and you worry about the world, at least until the impact sub scores the winner.

There will be votes in Parliament starting about 3 pm, so it should all kick off around kick-off. Rationally we can all distinguish between decisions that seriously affect millions of lives and will linger for generations and ones that really don't matter at all, except we only have one brain and it has to process all these emotions at the same time. Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch talked about the trade-off (Thatcher and Arsenal both winning) which I imagine most of us have made at some stage. I'm hoping to give a silent "Yeeesss!" shortly, for an Exeter goal or an All Blacks win or an amendment passing, and I don't like to think about those priorities.

I wonder what it's like for those of you at the games today. Will players be confused by a cheer in the stands when Johnson wins? Will Remainers chant "We'll see you all outside (the EU)"? Or will it be like the dark ages before mobile phones, when the tannoy didn't work and you could remain oblivious until you reached a shop window with a telly?

Saturday's kids they fight with insults ...

Fuck the Tories. I couldn’t give a shit about my own teams in comparison

Comment

Well, they're not playing till Monday ...

Comment

I wouldn’t try to be amusing about things you know nothing about. It may feel funny in New Zealand. It isn’t here. There’s a far right coup going on.

Comment

In fact conflating a parliamentary vote and sport is a cunts trick -a way of not debating the issues
          [URL]https://twitter.com/davidyelland/status/1185440523127083008?s=21[/URL]

Comment

The government's actions are discussed extensively on other threads, especially the Brexit one. As of course they should be.

That's why I posted a new thread on a different subject, not to derail the others. The strange relationship between between sport and politics is entirely illogical and yet very real. It's brought into focus today simply as an accident of timing (Saturday). The media's treatment of it is noticeable (hardly my invention, hence the OP pondering its use). But it applies all the time, to all of us who look away from a regime in Argentina or Russia or the ownership of a club ... and watch the games. We do this, not only on Brexit.

Human dissonance makes no sense, has no moral basis, and yet it's everywhere.

(And as I type, 5 Live are trailing a "big day of news and sport" ...)

Comment

And as a former editor of the Sun, David Yelland bears some responsibility for that I think.

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              The strange relationship between between sport and politics is entirely illogical and yet very real. It's brought into focus today simply as an accident of timing (Saturday). The media's treatment of it is noticeable
              The UK has been covering Sport and politics like a cross between a Soap opera and greek myths for as long as I can remember. The focus is on the character and the doings of individuals, which neatly takes your attention away from the actual policies and their implications. I think it takes a huge leap forward when the Sun started covering Thatcher like she was some sort of superhero.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 19-10-2019, 10:15.

Comment

John Murray commentating at Stamford Bridge, gives score updates, then reports that the Letwin amendment has passed, summarises it while the crowd in the background respond to the football action. Then he crosses to the racing. Weird.

Comment

The phrase Super Saturday is offensive, like Sky's countdown clock on Bury and Bolton. So maybe a different thread title would have been better.

The question itself is answered I think by the fact that we now live in a world where divided attention is now common. We often have two screens playing in our heads. But it's not unprecedented, e.g. I can recall the Falklands being a constant backdrop to the 1982 World Cup.

Comment

[deleted, unnecessary]
                    Last edited by tee rex; 19-10-2019, 15:00.

Comment

Actual Super Saturday

A celebration of excellence in their fields, performed by a Muslim immigrant, a mixed race woman and a pasty white fellow, in front of a nation losing its collective mind in delirious not, building on euphoria inducing results from earlier that day from huge posh people in boats and cyclists aided by the best scientific edge the country's brains could come up with.

Current Super Saturday

A fascist cunt's delight, shat out onto a divided nation by the smallest brains available, with a nice dollop of racism on the side.

Plus a rugby match most people don't really give a toss about, although I was extremely pleased with the result.
                      Last edited by Eggchaser; 19-10-2019, 16:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X