The Rehabilitation Of B*st*rds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rehabilitation Of B*st*rds

Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 02-10-2020, 05:34.

People don't want to believe that there's that much evil in the world or that we elected it into the White House, twice. So we'd rather pretend like it's all fine and that our political divisions are just academic.

Nationalism and fascism aren't just popular because of propaganda or manufactured consent, although those are part of it. It's popular because the alternative is to accept how bad humanity can be and how fundamentally corrupt our ruling class really is. Since there's no clear path to a better alternative and we're likely to be stuck with this current situation, more or less, for the rest of our lifetimes, it's easier to accept jingoism and all that.

I struggle with this too. I was generally happier when I was a lot more naive about reality.

Comment

I think this belongs here

Cambridge Don readmitted after sexually harassing students:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50089170

Comment

Trinity Hall is a tiny college. It seems he was there while I was at university. I had friends who were studying modern languages. Might do some asking around.

In general though, the procedures for preventing harassment and / or relationships with college staff were woeful at Cambridge 15 years ago. There are many stories I could tell, but they're not mine so I don't feel comfortable putting them on a public message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          Trinity Hall is a tiny college. It seems he was there while I was at university. I had friends who were studying modern languages. Might do some asking around.

In general though, the procedures for preventing harassment and / or relationships with college staff were woeful at Cambridge 15 years ago. There are many stories I could tell, but they're not mine so I don't feel comfortable putting them on a public message board.
          Doesn't look they're that great now, either...

Comment

Working...
          X