Quick question for US posters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question for US posters.

Does the phrase 'charged off' mean anything to you, re: debt or debt collection? I suspect we're being asked to use internal bank speak with consumers.

I've mostly heard it in relation to hospital bills unlikely to be paid by the uninsured. A debt unlikely to be collected.

Comment

Would your average consumer understand it?

Comment

I would think customers relate better to "writing off" debt than "charging off". Though accounting for a bank is a charge off, to the recipient I suspect using charge makes them expect to pay (rather than benefit).

Comment

Average American consumer? I'd guess very unlikely, especially 'the how and why' the debt disappears in any level of detail.

It's definitely more of a 'lender' term. (E.g. i I know it's used by lending club, from personal experience)

edit: also agree with caja.

Comment

Agree with both of them. Not in wide use at all

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                I would think customers relate better to "writing off" debt than "charging off". Though accounting for a bank is a charge off, to the recipient I suspect using charge makes them expect to pay (rather than benefit).
                Apparently 'charging off' in this context means that the bank moves it to a collection agency. It's not going away, and you're going to start getting nasty phone calls.

Thanks all.

Comment

Yeah, the problem with calling it writing off with a customer is that the customer would assume they're not going to have to pay it, where really it's just (well, primarily) an accounting thing for the lender.

Comment

It's probably redundant to say so at this point given that everyone else already agrees, but I've never heard the term "charge off" in that context.

Comment

My birthright doesn't qualify me, but I've seen enough films.

Normally, the phrasal verb "charge off" is used by Pauli, a semi-drunk in a bar. After he's had too much, he asks Gordi, the barman, "Hey, Gordi, did I charge off your niece?"

Then Gordi says, "Like hell, you bum. But I charge off your DAUGHTER every day of the goddamned week."

Then they have a little man-wrestle, then Gordi gives Pauli a short.

Comment

Hey Lou, another Skittlebrau for my friend treibeis....

Comment

Never heard the phrase and I've been here since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Apparently 'charging off' in this context means that the bank moves it to a collection agency. It's not going away, and you're going to start getting nasty phone calls.

Thanks all.
                            Then you say moved to a collection agency. The fact that they sold it for probably 3 cents on the dollar to them isn't really important (unless they understand this facilitates them cutting a deal).

Comment

What is the standard 'cents on the dollar' sale price of, say, US credit card debt?

Comment

For Credit Card debt it is probably somewhat higher - settlements are typically below 50% though as it is unsecured. Behaves a lot differently than medical debt (which is absurdly cheap and difficult to collect).

Comment

Working...
                                X