Worse places than Wolverhampton in Britain and Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse places than Wolverhampton in Britain and Europe

As suggested on the Europa League thread.

George C really needs to set a scale and populate the first few suggestions, as it was his claim he knew of a few, but assuming that Wolverhampton is 100, the one that always and immediately comes to mind for me is Charleroi in Belgium, which makes 1990s Sheffield look like Versailles. If Wolverhampton is 100 I suggest Charleroi at 140.

Related thread:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-gelsenkirchen

Comment

How big does a place need to be to qualify? I nominate Copsa Mica in Romania

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        How big does a place need to be to qualify? I nominate Copsa Mica in Romania
        I would say big enough to host a team Wolves could potentially visit (the context of their fans’ frustrated trip to Bratislava, which on the scale above is about a 60).

Comment

Crewe.

Granted I was hungover and it was raining, but it made Walthamstow look like Florence. It felt like the spirit of the people there had been utterly crushed as I walked around the town. I'm sure it's fabulous if you like trains.

I've a soft spot for Wolverhampton - As a child we'd have an annual visit from Yorkshire to relatives who lived just outside there and on the drive down we´d pass a derelict church on the outskirts of the town. I´d see it every year and ask why it hadn't reopened. It eventually got saved (the exterior at least) and incorporated into a supermarket development. Sadly the supermarket had closed down when I went to watch Wolves v Birmingham close to Remembrance Sunday a few years ago. Neither group of fans could respect the minute's silence, I'd made the schoolboy error of sitting too too close to the away fans and the game was a dire 0-0 draw.

Having said that, me and Miss ex-TMT did spend a good amount of time before the game in the Wolverhampton Art Gallery and then in Primark, so it wasn't all bad.

Comment

Bratislava has about 9 times the population of Vilareal.

Comment

Though Villarreal has twice as many "l" s and "r"s

Comment

What are we grading this on? Shittiness of the city centre? Main weather? Local accent? Expectations before you visit compared to reality?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  What are we grading this on? Shittiness of the city centre? Main weather? Local accent? Expectations before you visit compared to reality?
                  I'd say any subjective or even irrational reasons.

Comment

If only George C knew a pollster, we'd be sure to get a definitive answer.

Comment

*applause*

Comment

Despite lots of redevelopment, Newport (Gwent) just seems a sad, sad place.

Comment

Any settlement on the Schleswig-Holstein mainland apart from Lübeck and Flensburg. Every building anywhere looks like a stationery wholesalers'.

All right, Friedrichstadt. Model-village Amsterdam.

Comment

There are worse places than Gelsenkirchen.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                              If only George C knew a pollster, we'd be sure to get a definitive answer.
                              Doubtful.

Though would be good if they did.

A few years back, someone wrote 'Crap Towns' & 'Crap Towns 2', they speak for me about Britain.

Think Hull was a regular high flyer.

As for Europe most countries must have a good few candidates, potentially more in Eastern Europe?
                              Perhaps.

Comment

Agreed, there and the Port Talbot hinterland in Cymru for me.

Comment

A number of years ago, I went from London to Wolverhampton to watch Wolves Vs Sunderland, or Manager Mick vs Manager Roy. With the Supergrass, and there we met the supergrass's dad, and a variety of his friends from home. Wolverhampton was staggeringly fucked, but the surest sign of how fucked it was, became apparent when a number of our party who were older married middle aged men decided that they needed to go to one of wolverhampton's er, exotic dancing emporiums. The SG, his dad, dad friend A, and myself formed a tight square and talked about saipan and tried to avoid any expensive conversation with anyone who wasn't us. While the others who seemed considerably more at ease in this environment threw themselves into the whole thing.

Anyway, the thing that revealed to us just how fucked Wolverhampton, was that the people working in the club hadn't been trafficked from the former soviet union with the promise of a better life. Most of them had just walked there from their childhood home just down the road .All the strippers were local That's how fucked wolverhampton was.

Comment

I went to a nice pub there once.

Comment

BTW, have any of you been to holyhead? I get the impression that Holyhead was designed to be this disastrous and fucked, to provide an even more vivid contrast with the rest of that train journey. It's unnecessary.

Comment

Jarrow and Hartlepool are in a bad way, according to Stuart Maconie's 'The Long March From Jarrow', due to economic stagnation and the Tories reducing their funding of public services in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          BTW, have any of you been to holyhead?
                                          Yes. My sisters went to school there for a while. At least you can catch a ferry to Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                            BTW, have any of you been to holyhead? I get the impression that Holyhead was designed to be this disastrous and fucked, to provide an even more vivid contrast with the rest of that train journey. It's unnecessary.
                                            Not great but Monte Carlo next to Newport etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Yes. My sisters went to school there for a while. At least you can catch a ferry to Ireland.
                                              or travel two miles out of town. The contrast is really jarring. that train journey to......crewe is so beautiful it makes up for having been stuck on a fucking ferry for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Agreed, there and the Port Talbot hinterland in Cymru for me.
                                                Port Talbot town is ropey, but the valleys north are gorgeous and I don't mind the Blade Runner view from the motorway. Drove past there twice today actually. Aberafon beach is lovely too.

Comment

Must pay a visit sometime.

Can anyone guarantee when it's not raining please...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X