Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    It's only a nightmare for them because they have no imagination and their understanding of Britain and her place in the world is roughly the same as that of the first Queen Elizabeth.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    This whole thing is a bit of a disaster though isn't it. The royal family clearly threw her to the wolves, in order to protect the nonce. This is fine in the short term, but the queen is nearly 100, and can't do many public appearances any more .Charlie and anne are over 70 and she's basically retired. Andy is a nonce, and I don't think that the queen could pick Prince edward out of a line up made up of prince edward and 7 traditional zulu warriors, and the public would be little better. . We're basically approaching the point where Charlie's kids were the only ones that they could send to open things, and make public appearances, so harry fucking off is a nightmare for them.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by MsD View Post
    I’m sure Oprah likes being rich, but I don’t think she’s purely motivated by money. She’s passionate about race and gender matters.
    She is - how could she not be given her backstory?
    But she certainly wants to be perceived as a leading authority on those issues. It's her brand. Certainly, if somebody else booked got this interview, some members of her staff would have probably lost their jobs, and I wouldn't blame her. I can't think of an interview more perfectly situated in her wheelhouse.

The only other people who I could imagine doing this interview would be Michelle Obama. Or Dolly Parton.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-03-2021, 18:34.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    My American friends on Facebook are fixated on the interview and the stuff they say about the Royal Family is fucking weird. I guess to them it's a soap opera that doesn't cost them anything. A bit of Disney in real life. If they're representative of American engagement with politics no wonder so many Americans loved Trump.

Also Mrs Thistle is finding the blanket coverage a bit of a rage trigger.
    Mrs Shadow agrees with Mrs Thistle....

Leave a comment:

• Mr Delicieux
    replied
    I can remember seeing these articles being compared for the not exactly subtle differences in tone about Kate and the Meg last year and thinking that it was greasy, very greasy indeed.

https://www.twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1367950484628201474

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Well, according to Oprah, Liz and Phil are out of the running.
    I was assuming it was Phil.
    It seems like William would be more down with the young people than to say that out loud.
    But Charles isn't. Or Camilla.

I can also imagine that William might see it as a plus if their kid has a darker complexion and might have asked about it, cynically hoping that a kid that looks a bit different could be a marketing advantage for the royals, especially in the Commonwealth.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I’m sure Oprah likes being rich, but I don’t think she’s purely motivated by money. She’s passionate about race and gender matters.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Their house is in a super wealthy area outside of Santa Barbara, where Oprah also just happens to have a $100 million+ estate. When Oprah heard that they bought a house there I bet she started salivating at the thought of doing this interview and probably put out feelers about being willing to let them tell their story.
    Regardless of anything else, if they were going to do an interview on US TV, it was going to be Oprah. For better and worse, she's treated by many like our National Conscience and the go-to for Very Important Conversations about race or gender.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Here's hoping Wales is a Republic in a few years. I'll sponsor any OTFers work permit if you want to move to Cymrutopia.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    Everyone knows what Phil is like. I don't think him saying that would have had such a big impact. From the way Harry talks about his father and brother I'd suspect one of them.

Now HM's sad demise is getting closer, and Charles and William both look drippy as fuck, it becomes easier to ask whether we should pay all that money to put them through it.
    I do hope you're right.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    delicatemoth Agree in part, but the world moved on 30 years between Profumo and Diana, and has again 25 years between Diana and Meghan, and we now have social media and more people angry about gender and race (on both sides). I do think it will cause a shift in how the next generation views Royalty. When I was growing up, the questions were raised but no-one ever really thought it possible that we could get rid of the monarchy. Now HM's sad demise is getting closer, and Charles and William both look drippy as fuck, it becomes easier to ask whether we should pay all that money to put them through it.
    I keep saying it, but I don't want Charles' miserable face on my coins. At least HMQ was photogenic and glamorous in her youth, looks alright with a safety pin in her lip and is kinda cute and smiley in a granny way now. He doesn't want to be on our coins, he famously wishes he was a tampon. Who are we to deny him the chance.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Well, according to Oprah, Liz and Phil are out of the running.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    And I was shocked by the Archie's skin colour thing. I'd have thought they'd be a bit more subtle about it. Also, I can only imagine three royals having the nerve to say that to them - Liz, Charles and William. That's pretty wild.
    I'd put odds on Phil at 5/4 on.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I can fully imagine Andrew being stupid enough to say that out loud.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    It is a big deal because they've breached the omerta in a way that hasn't been done for a long time. I imagine when Christine Keeler spilled the beans there were people saying "wow, men like Profumo have affairs, like we didn't know that already", but it was still a big deal. Not that this will have anything like the consequences that had.

And I was shocked by the Archie's skin colour thing. I'd have thought they'd be a bit more subtle about it. Also, I can only imagine three royals having the nerve to say that to them - Liz, Charles and William. That's pretty wild.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I heard something about this. They have some kind of deal with Netflix, I thought.
    And Oprah doing it on CBS and them choosing James Corden's show, also on CBS, is not a coincidence.
    Corden's show is also the least interesting of the current late night shows and he was probably least likely to say anything awkward.
    Their house is in a super wealthy area outside of Santa Barbara, where Oprah also just happens to have a $100 million+ estate. When Oprah heard that they bought a house there I bet she started salivating at the thought of doing this interview and probably put out feelers about being willing to let them tell their story.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Why is Matt Goodwin?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Why are Eugenie and Beatrice so disliked. They're not even famous, are they?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Suits was a big hit and she was reputably worth 5 mil on the back of it.

You don't have to be a Disney princess wannabe or a silly little "Royal Stan" to think this interview important. I'm looking at it from a social science/cultural theory PoV which includes race and gender.
    It did go on for many seasons, I suppose. $5m is a lot of money. Not by Hollywood standards, but a lot of money for a normal person. If I had $5m, I'd retire.

There are all kinds of issues about race, class and gender here. It seems that the main appeal of the monarchy, insofar as it has any appeal, is that it doesn't ask people to think about any of those issues. I suspect that will change over the next 20 years and this will appear to be an important moment in retrospect, but for now it's not likely to change anything.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Who are the 2% of people who still have a favourable opinion about Prince Andrew?!?
    I've just realised it's possibly significantly worse than this. Doesn't it mean that 51% of people view him favourably and 49% are troubled by the whole being a rapist thing ?

(if not then the implication is that only 40% of the country rate the queen and that sounds a bit low)

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    I am also fascinated by the idea that the royal toddlers have a "favourability rating"
    "Changes since 2018"... N/A. On account of hiding in the womb.

Puked on a footman: +2. Cried during a photo op: -3.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Suits was a big hit and she was reputably worth 5 mil on the back of it.

You don't have to be a Disney princess wannabe or a silly little "Royal Stan" to think this interview important. I'm looking at it from a social science/cultural theory PoV which includes race and gender.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied

Who are the 2% of people who still have a favourable opinion about Prince Andrew?!?
    Pizzaland staff

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I am also fascinated by the idea that the royal toddlers have a "favourability rating"

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied

The survey respondants were probably 100 members of the Royal family. The 2% were Andrew himself and his mum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X