No announcement yet.

The fighting Prince Harry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the basis of my time working in London episodically over the years, you would be surprised at just how many "some" are

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The most outraged people I've seen on my social media are white women. It's tempting to say something sexist like they're bitter they didn't get the chance to marry Harry and be a princess. The blokes on the other hand seem to generally be wishing them best of luck for the future. (Not that many give a fuck really.)
      I think that is in large part might be because most blokes think he's seems to be basically an OK guy all things considered, and whatever about being a prince, they reckon he's punching above his weight, and he's said it enough times for you to suspect that he thinks so too. Also a lot of the sins she's accused of are probably confusing to a lot of men because they seem like fairly normal behaviour, and her complaints seem to be fair enough. Then again most men haven't really thought about marrying a prince all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        How much popular hate is there and how much media frenzy trying to create hate?
        Look on Twitter, if you want to see. For example, see replies to Katie Hopkins' Tweets on the subject, from "ordinary" people with a lynch mob mentality. Or replies to any MSM Tweet about them.

Comment

A lot of that reaction is inspired by the MSM and "commentators" like Hopkins and Morgan. There's not a lot of free thinking amongst the replies, just easily manipulated idiots spouting whatever shit the Mail and Sun have told them to.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

There are plenty of white men calling her a slag ("used" is how someone described her), greedy wannabe, and telling her to get back to the hood etc.
            Yeah I'm guilty of my own bias here in noticing posts and comments by a few women but not really looking at all the posts on my timelines to property assess sentiments and trends.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
              A lot of that reaction is inspired by the MSM and "commentators" like Hopkins and Morgan. There's not a lot of free thinking amongst the replies, just easily manipulated idiots spouting whatever shit the Mail and Sun have told them to.
              Nobody makes you go onto the internet and spout racist bile. We need to stop giving these people a pass. That shit has to be in you for it to come out.

Comment

Oh I'm not saying they aren't responsible for what they say, I'm just saying that they aren't capable of forming a semi-coherent opinion of their own. The racism runs deep within them but it is stoked by the vile tabloid press who feed on their irrational fears.

Comment

I think the current Brexit climate with Johnson as PM has galvanised this people into believing they are allowed to post their vile thoughts online and often excuse it as only banter.

When so called political correctness was introduced, I mean people not being allowed to say offensive things, unfortunately nobody was being educated as to why certain words and phrases were offensive or harmful and all it did was suppress people's thoughts and beliefs. Now the genie is out of the box were heading back to the 70s or before.

Giving airtime to Hopkins et al and their poisonous beliefs was a mistake, allowing them to be unchallenged is even worse.

I'm not hopeful for this country at all.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/briancathcart/status/1215694456609026049?s=21[/URL]

i think many of us are astonished that the public attitude has shifted so quickly TG . We aren’t on the receiving end in the way you are, and we probably ignore it ‘more than we should. I think we all knew that there were many racists in the country a f that the country was racist in many ways, but there has been for most of my adult life lip service paid to an official policy of anti racism. That’s clearly over and it’s happened comparatively fast.

Comment

Thread

[URL]https://twitter.com/allierenison/status/1215736334792515595?s=21[/URL]

Comment

That is a word that I've only ever heard used in conjunction with one other word. It's amazing how naked it seems without it.

Comment

I was just thinking that. Outside of the Mr Man book I've never seen it used any other way.

Comment

Older people used it when I was young. Generally directed at children who "talked back."

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1215776338038095873?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                Older people used it when I was young. Generally directed at children who "talked back."
                                I had been wondering was this an old word used on both sides of the Atlantic in the last century, or was it one of those archaic expressions that went to America with early colonists and clung on in America like "Fall" for autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I had been wondering was this an old word used on both sides of the Atlantic in the last century, or was it one of those archaic expressions that went to America with early colonists and clung on in America like "Fall" for autumn.
                                  oed says “originally and chiefly US”
                                  Etymology: < up adv.1 + -it- + -y suffix1: compare biggity adj.
                                  colloquial (originally and chiefly U.S.).
                                  Above oneself, self-important, ‘jumped-up’; arrogant, haughty, pert, putting on airs. Cf. uppish adj. 2d.
                                  Thesaurus »
                                  Categories »
                                  a. attributive.

1880 J. C. Harris Uncle Remus: Songs & Sayings 86 Hit wuz wunner deze yer uppity little Jack Sparrers, I speck.
                                  1933 Times Lit. Suppl. 9 Nov. 776/2 Grammy is living contentedly enough with an ‘uppity’ young creature named Penny.
                                  1952 F. L. Allen Big Change ii. viii. 130 The effect of the automobile revolution was especially noticeable in the South, where one began to hear whites complaining about ‘uppity niggers’ on the highways, where there was no Jim Crow.
                                  1982 B. Chatwin On Black Hill v. 28 He had a head for figures and a method for dealing with ‘uppity’ tenants.

Categories »
                                  b. predicative.

1932 Sun (Baltimore) 23 Aug. 6/2 [She] could have plenty o' friends. The trouble with her is she thinks folks too common to bother with unless they're too uppity to bother with her.
                                  1947 ‘N. Shute’ Chequer Board 68 They've been here alone too long, and they've got uppity.
                                  1955 F. O' Connor Wise Blood v. 89 I reckon you ain't as uppity as you was last night.
                                  1966 D. Bagley Wyatt's Hurricane i. 27 The Navy is trying to build up Cap Sarrat as a substitute for Guantanamo in case Castro gets uppity and takes it from them.
                                  1973 P. White Eye of Storm viii. 381 I came prepared to rough it... It's Dorothy who grows uppity if all the cons aren't mod.

Derivatives

Thesaurus »
                                  Categories »
                                  ˈuppitiness n. the quality of being ‘uppity’; an instance of this.

1935 H. L. Davis Honey in Horn x. 145 Clay's bravery and uppitinesshad done nothing.
                                  1966 Listener 27 Oct. 622/1 She had decided that Joyce was ‘pretentious’ and ‘under-bred’... But who was Virginia Woolf to talk (in this purely literary sense) of ‘uppitiness’?
                                  1975 Listener 9 Oct. 479/1 Few delegates seemed versed in Private Eye nomenclature and would, anyway, disapprove of such uppityness.
                                  1982 R. Barnard Death & Princess ii. 17 Joe may appreciate my couthness..but he can sniff out uppitiness.

Comment

I doubt that Kate Middleton would be called "uppity" if she made the same decisions that Markle has done. But this is also a case of trying to figure out the blend of racism and misogyny because clearly there have been white female Royals who have been subjected to misogyny. However, again, were Diana or Sarah Ferguson ever classed as "uppity" even by the most malicious hacks?

Markle is the best thing to happen to royalty since the guillotine; she brings it a humanity it lacks; but we can now see that it was a doomed venture for her to enter British public life at a time when it was going even more openly Gammon and racist.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-01-2020, 10:46.

Comment

Found a couple of previous royal family "uppity" descriptions in the American press, referring to Princess Diana, but none have been used in the same way as against Meghan Markle.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...ml%3f_amp=true

http://archive.macleans.ca/article/2...doing-of-diana

There's very, very clear racism in the UK press. That's not even in dispute, surely?
                                      Britain: A year after Diana's death, their efforts are producing an upbeat image. The people love it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I don't know. But I think you can't discount the influence of American popular media in the first half of the last century. Gone With the Wind, books such as Little Women and the novels of Mark Twain had huge exposure, they may well have introduced the term into Britain.

Comment

It’s a US word originally

[URL]https://twitter.com/babs_clare/status/1215983372729712640?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/tenorsaw/status/1215984579691057156?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Apparently, the Canadian government is somehow involved in negotiations to work all this out. Really? Really? Two people with a ceremonial job want to quit. Let them. Is this really something adults should be discussing? Why does Canada have to be involved? Because she’s Canadian.

I’ve heard some speculation here that they will move to LA. I don’t know if there’s anything to support that other than that that’s where celebrities usually want to live and she’s an
                                              actress. And doesn’t she have family there? I forget. I suppose it’s a good place for celebrity activists to live. Lots of potential donors who also share their antipathy for the tabloids. Besides, they probably wouldn’t even be the most famous people on their street.

Toronto or Vancouver might be even better. In the Commonwealth and, as far as I know, celebrities aren’t hounded there. Then again, not many major international celebrities live in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                Why does Canada have to be involved? Because she’s Canadian.
                                                As the controversy swirled, news broke on Friday that Meghan had headed back to Canada to escape the media glare. The couple had only recently returned to Britain, having spent much of the Christmas holidays on Vancouver Island with their eight-month-old son Archie. They sang the praises of that visit during a meeting with Canadian diplomats in London on Tuesday. Meghan, 38, is believed to have gone back to Canada to be with Archie, whom news reports said had been left with her friend, Toronto-based stylist Jessica Mulroney. G&M

Jessica Mulroney is Brian Mulroney's DiL.

Comment

We don't do yer paper-a-nazis here dude. They could go for a double-double at Tim's and no one would blink.

Comment

Over at the Windsors', meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1216102872535982090

Comment

Working...
                                                    X