Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I genuinely wonder just how many people subscribe to Amazon Prine for the streaming offerings

It strikes me as much more something to keep people from jumping when they raise the price

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think they are loss leaders that are designed to hook people in. The people that get hooked into a Clarkson vehicle are the Trumpers we encounter in Florida, who would have fully approved of the racist article(s); but you can keep that demographic hooked in by throwing other fascist stuff their way whereas the progressive audience needs a bit more careful handling because it will jump to Netflix, HBO etc if it feels Amazon drifting too far right.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The streaming platforms have been taking a Venture Capital approach to commissioning new programmes, throwing money at anything that catches their fancy in the hope that some of them pan out.

The issue with that is that even the most successful shows don't make anything like unicorn-type returns for the platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I think that they stuck $150m into The Grand Tour, despite the evidence of latter-era Top Gear that they were rapidly running out of ideas and didn't understand what had made the show so successful. Then they go off and make TGT but had been reduced to yearly specials using exactly the same ideas that made TG such a chore.

Richard (Sniff Petrol) Porter's book about his time on TG is really good.

They don't need him as much as before, with the LOTR spinoff doing well. (Apparently they spent a billion on that!)
    The Smith 'n' Sniff podcast that Porter does with Johnny Smith is usually worth a listen.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I think they misread the brief and thought a show where Clarkson buys the farm would be a winner

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I think that they stuck $150m into The Grand Tour, despite the evidence of latter-era Top Gear that they were rapidly running out of ideas and didn't understand what had made the show so successful. Then they go off and make TGT but had been reduced to yearly specials using exactly the same ideas that made TG such a chore.

Richard (Sniff Petrol) Porter's book about his time on TG is really good.

They don't need him as much as before, with the LOTR spinoff doing well. (Apparently they spent a billion on that!)

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Sure, but the Clarkson-buys-a-farm show was apparently doing well. This is a case of a media company reading the room and cutting their losses. The question arises, of course, why Amazon Prime signed Clarkson for TWO shows in the first place. It's not like he wasn't a toxic shithouse before.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    It's always useful to media companies when these diminishing personaltity brands fuck up in a way that gives the company a reason to let them go.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Oooh, well played, spokesperson.

Meanwhile, it seems Amazon Prime have cut Clarkson loose as a response to his wank fantasy column, and cancelled further productions of the Top Gear clone and the Jeremy plays farmer series.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    keep fighting, H

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1615059053797081089?s=20&t=1ALGQO4XbtvtDF0ATxLyNg

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    And the Telegraph never has to print retractions...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Apparently, I am wrong. There will be three more books from Harry. I don’t know what there is left to say now that he’s cut off from the family. Maybe he has recipes.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    That does appear completely devastating. If he gets those kinds of things wrong, clearly he can’t possibly be right about how utterly grim the royal family is, and the entirety of the Windsors must in fact be thoroughly decent people who are completely in touch with reality and without prejudice or malice or sense of entitlement.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    https://twitter.com/NicholasGuyatt/status/1614596777671380992?s=20&t=viHLiilWL8Ex6UAtgMwOjw

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    https://twitter.com/badwritingtakes/status/1613276217909645312?s=46&t=jHsu2ISIHsfDDkU1RBGuXw

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

When she was a TRAFFICKED 17 year old girl. That's a very key part. It's not like she voluntarily threw herself at him. In the UK it wouldn't even be illegal for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 17 year old girl, no matter how wrong and distasteful it is, if it was a non-coerced choice made by her. But it absolutely wasn't.

I guess I have to include the word "Allegedly".
    Absolutely right Balderdasha. and apogolgies for minimisng the nature of the offence

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I really fail to see what Meghan has got out of all of this except a husband.
    If she were a mastermind of manipulation, she would have been more ambitious than this. This didn't further her career as an actor or food blogger. It ended it.

She does a podcast now. I suppose she can get somewhat higher profile guests as a duchess than she could as the former fifth most important character on a long-running USA Network show shot in Toronto. But a lot of semi-famous actors have podcasts. I really doubt that was the goal of this supposedly masterful chess match she's played against the remnants of the British imperial establishment

Even though they probably made a nice bag of cash from the book, the Netflix show and the Oprah thing, now they've spent their ammunition. If their goal was to milk their fame and status for maximum revenue, this wasn't the way to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Lobachevsky
    replied
    Not that I care much but I thought Harry came across quite well in a couple of the US interviews. I haven’t seen much of the coverage. One of my friends did surprise me with an out of the blue rant about how Megan had planned out the whole scenario. Seemed a bit of a stretch.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

When she was a TRAFFICKED 17 year old girl. That's a very key part. It's not like she voluntarily threw herself at him. In the UK it wouldn't even be illegal for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 17 year old girl, no matter how wrong and distasteful it is, if it was a non-coerced choice made by her. But it absolutely wasn't.

He didn't allegedly have sex with a trafficked 17 year old it would have been rape.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Maxwell is a convicted child sex trafficker

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    What Harry did. Married a woman of colour. Became more popular and less racist as a result

What Andrew Did

Continued being racist. Hung out with Jeffrey Epstein. persuaded his mother to pay 12 million pounds to a woman who claimed that he had sex with her when she was a 17 year old girl

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    What Harry did. Married a woman of colour. Became more popular and less racist as a result
    I think the more important thing and key to it all is "told Rebekah Brooks and Paul Dacre to fuck off".

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied

What Andrew Did

Continued being racist. Hung out with Jeffrey Epstein. persuaded his mother to pay 12 million pounds to a woman who claimed that he had sex with her when she was a 17 year old girl

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Are the Taliban that incompetent? Surely they'd realise it wasn't Harry living on his own in a flat and driving a Yaris*.

*details made up. You get the gist.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by Capybara View Post
    Which would, presumably, cut off a source of income as he appears to have been 'earning' money as a lookalike.
    Losing the prospect of making a few quid on the side vs removing the danger of a someone travelling from Afghanistan with the express intent of killing you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X