X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Yes, but it speaks volumes about the Express that his view is considered worthy of amplification
    if Peter Sutcliffe spoke at a seance criticising Prince Harry the Express would think it worthy of smplification.

All that matters is- their reader(s) has heard of the person in question and they hate Meghan and Harry

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Leave poor peter andre alone. He's trying to help everyone forget that Rebekkah Vardy told the news of the world that he was hung like a hamster.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes, but it speaks volumes about the Express that his view is considered worthy of amplification

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Peter Andre is a celebrity rather than a media type though isn't he? A really pisspoor celebrity admitted.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Back to this:
    Who the hell is Peter Andre?

​​​​​​​I couldn't get that page to load. Perhaps my computer is blocking The Express. I hope so.

But I looked up Peter Andre.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it seems to illustrate the hilarious extent to which the UK press/media types overrate their own importance. They might even overstate their own importance within the UK - I'm not sure - but certainly, internationally, they're not all that important.

Harry is in Hollywood* now and I don't think it's just because his wife is from there or he likes the weather (which is profoundly shit at the moment, btw).

It's also so he can make friends with media people that can shit all over the UK media from a great height. If he has Oprah et al. in his corner, he won't have to care what the Peter Andres and Piers Morgans of the world think of him. Of course, if he just chose to be recluse, he could ignore them anyway, but if he wants to be a somewhat public personality that promotes causes and what not, he will need allies, and he can find them in California. We love a good comeback story and we love making people with posh English accents the villains in everything.

*Not literally, as far as I know. I understand that Hollywood is actually a specific section of Los Angeles and not the whole region, but I think even Southern Californians can accept that it stands in for a broader conception of the whole industry/scene that is based there in the same way that "Silicon Valley" might include people/companies across the entire San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland metro are and that "Wall Street" now includes bits of Connecticut and New Jersey, even.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    It has a few better front end, I'd say that goes a long way. Amazon/Disney, fuckin reeks trying to find anything.
    Our version of Disney+ is easy. But Hulu, which Disney will eventually merge into, is not as easy.

Apple’s interface is easy once you get the hang of it.

Netflix just pushes stuff it thinks you want to watch, which gives the illusion that it’s easy to use, but it’s not so much if you want to see what is available beyond what they’re pushing.

I don’t think any of them have really sorted out the UX problem.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Quite...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Shit just got real. Bet he's thinking twice about those follow ups now.
    https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1615350477440405504?t=YVrWecTKmQR_OarJ2hu8CA&s=19
    Who is Peter Andre?
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-01-2023, 19:08.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    It has a way better front end, I'd say that goes a long way. Amazon/Disney, fuckin reeks trying to find anything.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-01-2023, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

My experience is they mix up the Prime and non-Prime on their menu. There's no clear guidance on where to only find the Prime stuff.

The non-free stuff is often third party, so you're transferred to, say, HBO Max, which you canceled last year. Cross-promotion you actually subscribe to avoid.
    Like I said, there’s a button that un-mixes that.

You can subscribe to all the other services - except Netflix - through Amazon. You can do that through Apple and, now, Google/YouTube. Or you can subscribe to those directly through your smart TV. Same price for each add on service regardless.

But it’s handy to do it that way to keep track of what you’re spending.

Amazon/Google/Apple want you to use them as your “front door” to all your entertainment because they can feature ads for their stuff when you turn it on.

I usually go through Apple because I have an Apple TV device and it keeps track of all the shows I’m watching and all the movies I said I may watch across all the services - except Netflix. It also lets you sign up for new things without having to enter the password. It sends a link to my phone. And I can easily unsubscribe on my phone. The Apple Tab remote is too clever and easy to lose, however.

Netflix’ continued dominance and not collaborate is perplexing. It doesn’t have much good stuff. It’s mostly just coasting on name recognition.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-01-2023, 17:08.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Amazon Prime doesn't allow you to buy or rent films if in Ireland. Which Effin sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Shit just got real. Bet he's thinking twice about those follow ups now.
    https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1615350477440405504?t=YVrWecTKmQR_OarJ2hu8CA&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    The free month of Prime we had I was shocked to find that you have to pay extra for some of the stuff on there even if you are a subscriber.
    My experience is they mix up the Prime and non-Prime on their menu. There's no clear guidance on where to only find the Prime stuff.

The non-free stuff is often third party, so you're transferred to, say, HBO Max, which you canceled last year. Cross-promotion you actually subscribe to avoid.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-01-2023, 17:58.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Yeah the only service I'd previously had was Netflix which obviously you just pay a monthly fee for and then all the content is included. To discover something which seemed on the face of it to be similar and yet the subscription didn't include all the content was a shock
    Cable television has worked this way in the US for close to 50 years

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Amazon has an option “switch” that changes the interface to just show the things you’ve already paid for.

Amazon’s UX is the worst of all the services.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Well, only some things are actually part of the service per se but you can rent/buy movies and shows from them just like you can from iTunes, Vudu or, when it existed, Blockbuster.
    Yeah the only service I'd previously had was Netflix which obviously you just pay a monthly fee for and then all the content is included. To discover something which seemed on the face of it to be similar and yet the subscription didn't include all the content was a shock

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post

I was livid when I realised that., Absolutely livid. What is the point of a premium streaming service if you have to have sodding adverts?
    Which one are you talking about?

There are often different tiers. You pay more for no ads. Disney and Netflix added cheaper Ad tiers because they aren’t profitable.

Or, in the case of Hulu Live it ESPN+ where it’s just picking up something from cable or broadcast, it has ads because there are ad breaks.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    They definitely have ads during the football.
    I was livid when I realised that., Absolutely livid. What is the point of a premium streaming service if you have to have sodding adverts?

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    Oooh, well played, spokesperson.

Meanwhile, it seems Amazon Prime have cut Clarkson loose as a response to his wank fantasy column, and cancelled further productions of the Top Gear clone and the Jeremy plays farmer series.
    Clarkson’s ‘apology’ can only have been a last ditch attempt to pacify Amazon so they didn’t turn off the cash tap. He wouldn’t do it for any other reason. Anyway, seems he failed.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    The free month of Prime we had I was shocked to find that you have to pay extra for some of the stuff on there even if you are a subscriber.
    Well, only some things are actually part of the service per se but you can rent/buy movies and shows from them just like you can from iTunes, Vudu or, when it existed, Blockbuster.

The license for anything is country-specific. If you have a VPN, you can maybe access content that isn’t otherwise available in your country.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-01-2023, 16:44.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    There’s actually some good stuff on there (Reacher, Mrs Maisel, Jack Ryan) but even so it’s definitely a nice to have on top of the delivery.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    They definitely have ads during the football.

At times I completely forget about the streaming service. Other than the two rounds of Premier League football they have, and the US Open when Emma Raducanu won it, I don't think I've watched anything on it.

Tell a lie - I watched some of the Spurs documentary but gave up around halfway through.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    The thing that totes shocked me was their putting fucking adverts in the middle of the football they had.

Was that them? I think it was them.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Yes, I would imagine most Prime subscribers do it for the saving on delivery charges. The telly is an incidental benefit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X