No announcement yet.

The fighting Prince Harry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Eugenie and Beatrice so disliked. They're not even famous, are they?

Comment

Why is Matt Goodwin?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I heard something about this. They have some kind of deal with Netflix, I thought.
        And Oprah doing it on CBS and them choosing James Corden's show, also on CBS, is not a coincidence.
        Corden's show is also the least interesting of the current late night shows and he was probably least likely to say anything awkward.
        Their house is in a super wealthy area outside of Santa Barbara, where Oprah also just happens to have a $100 million+ estate. When Oprah heard that they bought a house there I bet she started salivating at the thought of doing this interview and probably put out feelers about being willing to let them tell their story.

Comment

It is a big deal because they've breached the omerta in a way that hasn't been done for a long time. I imagine when Christine Keeler spilled the beans there were people saying "wow, men like Profumo have affairs, like we didn't know that already", but it was still a big deal. Not that this will have anything like the consequences that had.

And I was shocked by the Archie's skin colour thing. I'd have thought they'd be a bit more subtle about it. Also, I can only imagine three royals having the nerve to say that to them - Liz, Charles and William. That's pretty wild.

Comment

I can fully imagine Andrew being stupid enough to say that out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
              And I was shocked by the Archie's skin colour thing. I'd have thought they'd be a bit more subtle about it. Also, I can only imagine three royals having the nerve to say that to them - Liz, Charles and William. That's pretty wild.
              I'd put odds on Phil at 5/4 on.

Comment

Well, according to Oprah, Liz and Phil are out of the running.

Comment

delicatemoth Agree in part, but the world moved on 30 years between Profumo and Diana, and has again 25 years between Diana and Meghan, and we now have social media and more people angry about gender and race (on both sides). I do think it will cause a shift in how the next generation views Royalty. When I was growing up, the questions were raised but no-one ever really thought it possible that we could get rid of the monarchy. Now HM's sad demise is getting closer, and Charles and William both look drippy as fuck, it becomes easier to ask whether we should pay all that money to put them through it.
                  I keep saying it, but I don't want Charles' miserable face on my coins. At least HMQ was photogenic and glamorous in her youth, looks alright with a safety pin in her lip and is kinda cute and smiley in a granny way now. He doesn't want to be on our coins, he famously wishes he was a tampon. Who are we to deny him the chance.

Comment

Everyone knows what Phil is like. I don't think him saying that would have had such a big impact. From the way Harry talks about his father and brother I'd suspect one of them.

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                    Now HM's sad demise is getting closer, and Charles and William both look drippy as fuck, it becomes easier to ask whether we should pay all that money to put them through it.
                    I do hope you're right.

Comment

Here's hoping Wales is a Republic in a few years. I'll sponsor any OTFers work permit if you want to move to Cymrutopia.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Their house is in a super wealthy area outside of Santa Barbara, where Oprah also just happens to have a $100 million+ estate. When Oprah heard that they bought a house there I bet she started salivating at the thought of doing this interview and probably put out feelers about being willing to let them tell their story.
                        Regardless of anything else, if they were going to do an interview on US TV, it was going to be Oprah. For better and worse, she's treated by many like our National Conscience and the go-to for Very Important Conversations about race or gender.

Comment

I’m sure Oprah likes being rich, but I don’t think she’s purely motivated by money. She’s passionate about race and gender matters.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                            Well, according to Oprah, Liz and Phil are out of the running.
                            I was assuming it was Phil.
                            It seems like William would be more down with the young people than to say that out loud.
                            But Charles isn't. Or Camilla.

I can also imagine that William might see it as a plus if their kid has a darker complexion and might have asked about it, cynically hoping that a kid that looks a bit different could be a marketing advantage for the royals, especially in the Commonwealth.

Comment

I can remember seeing these articles being compared for the not exactly subtle differences in tone about Kate and the Meg last year and thinking that it was greasy, very greasy indeed.

https://www.twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1367950484628201474

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                My American friends on Facebook are fixated on the interview and the stuff they say about the Royal Family is fucking weird. I guess to them it's a soap opera that doesn't cost them anything. A bit of Disney in real life. If they're representative of American engagement with politics no wonder so many Americans loved Trump.

Also Mrs Thistle is finding the blanket coverage a bit of a rage trigger.
                                Mrs Shadow agrees with Mrs Thistle....

Comment

I’m sure Oprah likes being rich, but I don’t think she’s purely motivated by money. She’s passionate about race and gender matters.
                                  She is - how could she not be given her backstory?
                                  But she certainly wants to be perceived as a leading authority on those issues. It's her brand. Certainly, if somebody else booked got this interview, some members of her staff would have probably lost their jobs, and I wouldn't blame her. I can't think of an interview more perfectly situated in her wheelhouse.

The only other people who I could imagine doing this interview would be Michelle Obama. Or Dolly Parton.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-03-2021, 18:34.

Comment

This whole thing is a bit of a disaster though isn't it. The royal family clearly threw her to the wolves, in order to protect the nonce. This is fine in the short term, but the queen is nearly 100, and can't do many public appearances any more .Charlie and anne are over 70 and she's basically retired. Andy is a nonce, and I don't think that the queen could pick Prince edward out of a line up made up of prince edward and 7 traditional zulu warriors, and the public would be little better. . We're basically approaching the point where Charlie's kids were the only ones that they could send to open things, and make public appearances, so harry fucking off is a nightmare for them.

Comment

It's only a nightmare for them because they have no imagination and their understanding of Britain and her place in the world is roughly the same as that of the first Queen Elizabeth.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                        Charlie and anne are over 70 and she's basically retired.
                                        I thought Anne had more public engagements per annum than any of the other first division royals? But she's not male, nor particularly press (or people) friendly so isn't made a fuss of.

Comment

There's no way it's Phil. He'd just come and say something massively racist not bumble about awkwardly about skin tone. It's definitely Charles

Comment

Oh yeah, the way Harry talked about his relationship with his dad, it was Charles. It's not necessarily surprising -- though being racist to an unborn child us industrial-strength bigotry -- but here we have a smoking gun that can be lodged as evidence whenever these people make mealy-mouthed noises about not being racists. And one that can be raised in Commonwealth countries. If these fucks were racist to an unborn child, imagine how racist they are to born people.

Comment

Anyway, my heart went out to Meghan when she talked about her thoughts of suicide. "I didn't want to live anymore..." Those words brought tears to my eyes. I don't care if she naively married into an institution I uncompromisingly oppose. She seems a good person, and hearing her say those words was painful.

More than that, I think she was very brave to speak about this, knowing the stigma will be turned on her. It was also good that she stressed the need to get help -- help which was indefensibly denied to her. That is such an important message to get out.

Comment

I’m sure Oprah likes being rich,
                                                She grew up poor, and she's worked damn hard, so I don't begrudge her.

Comment

I made the mistake of introducing this subject to the family Zoom chat last night. All three households were divided on the subject - Mrs D, my sister and my father were pro-Meghan. Myself, BiL and mother were anti the lot of them. Tense.

I'm being sent upstairs early tonight as my contributions are not required for Mrs D's viewing of the interview. And I have further blotted my copybook by admitting that I find Meghan physically, if not emotionally attractive. Yikes.
                                                  I took against Meghan during the Tom Bradby thing where he asked how she personally was doing and she said she was fine but added: "thank you for asking. Not many people have asked..." or similar. Not sure why that wound me up so much, or what precise personality trait it signifies.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I thought Anne had more public engagements per annum than any of the other first division royals? But she's not male, nor particularly press (or people) friendly so isn't made a fuss of.
                                                    This is apparently historically true. But she is 70 and that sort of stuff is super demanding, particularly if it's not you that is the monarch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X