The death of a dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of a dog

Yesterday afternoon Lola, our border terrier, was put to sleep. She was 11 - a respectable but not a great age. For the last year she had been suffering with a neurological problem that affected the mobility of her rear right leg. For most of that time she got around fairly well on three good legs, using the bad one just for support when she was standing or toileting. More recently though the leg had become little more than a dangling appendage and an actual encumbrance. It was clear that things were getting worse. Two weeks ago she lost the use of her tail and we noticed that she was becoming increasingly incontinent. A visit to the vet confirmed what we already knew but also revealed that her rear left leg was beginning to show signs of similar deterioration. We weren't quire ready to face the inevitable but after a week of keeping her largely confined to the kitchen because of the constant urine dribbles and watching her struggle to keep her balance, we knew it was time to say goodbye.

The vet and his assistant were brilliant. Calm, professional and respectful, giving my wife and I time on our own with her as the injection took effect. We stroked Lola's head, and through the tears told her what a great dog she had been and how much we loved her. Afterwards my wife wrapped her in a blanket and we drove home in silence. We placed her in the grave that I had dug in the garden beneath the cherry tree that we planted 30 years ago when our son was born, my son filled in the soil, we cried a bit more and that was that.

This morning I'm missing Lola dreadfully. When I was feeding the hens and ducks earlier there was no little shadow trailing behind me and waiting to see if there was a cracked egg that she might be given. No companion on my walk to pick up the newspaper. An empty space in the corner where her bed was, and in the kitchen where her food and water bowl sat. No nudge of the leg to remind me that she was there when eating a biscuit with my early morning cuppa. It's ridiculous I know - there are a million worse things going on in the world, but the death of our little dog has affected me far more than I could have imagined.

I'm very sorry to hear that, matey. My sympathies.

Comment

Sorry to hear that gjw100, that sounds remarkably similar to what happened to my Jack Russell, Bailey, earlier this year.

He'd started to have problems with one of his back legs, the vet diagnosed it as ligament damage and performed surgery but, unfortunately, it didn't make any difference and his leg basically wasted away in the manner you've described.

By the end he was struggling to get round and was basically incontinent as he couldn't get outside to go to the toilet. It was desperately sad but when the time came there wasn't really a decision to be made. He spent his last full day laying outside in the late May sunshine being fed sausages. He was real character and despite occasionally being a bit of a grumpy bugger, he was universally loved by everyone who met him. A lovely natured boy, very quiet for a Terrier and not at all yappy.

He was from the Dog's Trust, so I don't really know how old he was but I had him for 7 wonderful years. I've had several dogs and plenty of cats and I know you're not supposed to have favourites but he really was my best pal. We'd gone through some major life events together and he was genuinely a wonderful constant in my life when things were pretty turbulent.

Have to say I'm typing this with tears in my eyes and despite living in a household with another lovely dog and three cats I still miss him every day.

Comment

So sorry gjw, and TG too.

Dogs eh? It’s a real joy/pain thing. But the joy wins out in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
          Sorry to hear that gjw100, that sounds remarkably similar to what happened to my Jack Russell, Bailey, earlier this year.

He'd started to have problems with one of his back legs, the vet diagnosed it as ligament damage and performed surgery but, unfortunately, it didn't make any difference and his leg basically wasted away in the manner you've described.

By the end he was struggling to get round and was basically incontinent as he couldn't get outside to go to the toilet. It was desperately sad but when the time came there wasn't really a decision to be made. He spent his last full day laying outside in the late May sunshine being fed sausages. He was real character and despite occasionally being a bit of a grumpy bugger, he was universally loved by everyone who met him. A lovely natured boy, very quiet for a Terrier and not at all yappy.

He was from the Dog's Trust, so I don't really know how old he was but I had him for 7 wonderful years. I've had several dogs and plenty of cats and I know you're not supposed to have favourites but he really was my best pal. We'd gone through some major life events together and he was genuinely a wonderful constant in my life when things were pretty turbulent.

Have to say I'm typing this with tears in my eyes and despite living in a household with another lovely dog and three cats I still miss him every day.

My belated sympathies to you too, T.

Comment

Sorry to hear of this and condolences. I don't get why some people don't understand how the passing of a pet can be as deeply affecting as the passing of a relative. By and large, you've probably spent more time with them, had far fewer arguments and all they've ever shown you is unconditional love.

As for the big blue injection moment; I've done that, and genuinely wish it was available for consenting elderly couples where it's time for one to go (or to be able to volunteer on oneself). I don't want to end up infirm, in pain, demented and incontinent either, frankly. I would happily give my wife the right to take me to the vets and have me pass peacefully in a planned way.

Comment

Heartfelt condolences to gjw100 and tg. I'll probably never know that pain because Mrs EEG is absolutely not a dog person (and to be fair I'd probably shy away from the commitment involved anyway), but I can imagine it all too easily.

Comment

My sincerest condolences, gjw100, and belated condolences to TG.

Comment

I’m so sorry. I love dogs more than anything. I understand.

Comment

Just reading the words of gjw100 and tg has made me well up. I totally get it, dogs are brilliant companions and I also know we're entering that stage with our little parsons.

She's around 12 and all the little niggles are just starting to occur. Her limp, excessive water drinking and not being able to hold her pee. I took her for a drive into town when picking up Mrs. G the other night as there's a secluded little park next to her building and started to get the maudlin thoughts that maybe one day soon I'll be doing that journey with her.

But, right now, I'm thinking about you two and the gaps left behind.

Comment

Terribly sorry to read this gjw, and tg's story too. My sympathies to both of you for your loss.

Comment

Sympathies GJW and TG. Such passings are terribly sad.

Tonight we are collecting what we hope will be a new addition to the household - a Kelpie X called Chief.

He is not a replacement for my old boofles Simba, who was put to sleep seven weeks ago. Simba is irreplacable.

We had a two year gap between losing our previous dog and getting Simba. The house is too empty though and I don't want a dog sitting in a rescue kennels when he could have a loving home.

Comment

Have only just seen this thread and offer my belated condolences to GJW and TG.

Comment

Working...
                          X