No announcement yet.

Things you don't know if you watch the BBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No it also involves strict rules about election protocol-for example that if you mention one candidate you have to me toon the others

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      No it also involves strict rules about election protocol-for example that if you mention one candidate you have to me toon the others

I've never heard of it being defined in that way. The candidate reference thing is broadcasting law, I thought.

Comment

The BBC used always to refer to it as election purdah. They don't seem to be abiding by it this election, though

Comment

I'm sure there will be no issues regarding too long queues and inability to vote in villages like Bigotton and Chippingdon-upon-Racist.
          Last edited by anton pulisov; 12-12-2019, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
            The BBC used always to refer to it as election purdah. They don't seem to be abiding by it this election, though
            Purdah is the term for the civil service's period of political impartiality during an election. What broadcasters are subject to are OFCOM reporting regulations that are meant to ensure impartiality.

Comment

Purdah is also used in local authorities and also in the NHS. (Not meant to have any big NHS announcements before an election)

Comment

(Although in a Facebook group I'm in a council comms professional has apparently been told off for using the term purdah because that might be offensive to people who use the term in a religious sense.)

Comment

Is anyone else getting a Taggart earworm with all this talk of purdah?

Nope.

Just me then.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ction-coverage

Comment

That headline figure of £550k spent by the Tories on advertising is technically true but ignores the thousands spent by astroturfing organisations.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/yorksranter/status/1213104246465466369?s=21[/URL]

Comment

The really un-nuanced thing about that idiocy from Robinson is to presume that the "winning" side is the "right" side.

Comment

Well said PT.

Comment

If you thought the treatment of Corbyn was bad see what they have in store for Long Bailey

https://twitter.chttps://twitter.com/ta_mills/status/1214558076117762050?s=20om/ta_mills/status/1214558076117762050?s=20

Comment

That is bizarre. What an idiot.

Are they sticking with the formula of treating Labour as a must see soap opera for politics buffs while not deigning to hold the Government to account on such trifling matters as the running of the country?

Comment

What's going on? Some of us can't watch videos at work.

Comment

It appears that a BBC 'journalist' had about 6 GnT's before the 1 O Clock news

Comment

That's Norman Smith. That's the sort of thing that he does all the time for all parties and politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                        That's Norman Smith. That's the sort of thing that he does all the time for all parties and politicians.
                                        I was wondering who it was. Only ever heard him on the radio before.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          Does he do anything else? He's likely to be on a couple of hundred thousand a year so hopefully there's a bit more to his act than silly voices.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Does he do anything else? He's likely to be on a couple of hundred thousand a year so hopefully there's a bit more to his act than silly voices.
                                            He's quite ebullient, I'll grant you, but seems pretty well-informed about what's going on in Westminster. He's prone to colourful descriptions and often reaches for extravagant metaphors which might either amuse or annoy, depending on how you like your politics and, probably, your party attachment.

Comment

he's shit.

The BBC's definition of "Well informed" seems to mean has the mobile number of 12 Tory MPs and Tom Watosn

I wnat a bit more analysis and a bit less public school satire from a BBC politics editor.

Comment

You make him sound like a political version of Stuart Hall, NS, in which case he's probably not for me.

I'm not sure why amusement or annoyance at his style would depend upon party alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  You make him sound like a political version of Stuart Hall, NS, in which case he's probably not for me.

I'm not sure why amusement or annoyance at his style would depend upon party alignment.

Actually that's not a bad comparison at all. He's usually on the News At One but rarely seems to make it into the later news reports, which may or may not be telling.

Not his style but his specific comments. If he'd been poking fun at Johnson or one of the Cabinet I suspect that Tom Mills or Russ Jackson wouldn't be quite so disturbed about the BBC's journalism.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X