X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastafarianism

Documentary follows Pastafarians as they strain for recognition

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Anyone know anything about them? I stumbled on this on the Guardian app and it seems uninteresting.

It depends whether you see it as a bad taste joke or a legitimate protest against institutionalised religious privilege.

Comment

So in about 500 years time they'll be torturing people who eat rice.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        It depends whether you see it as a bad taste joke or a legitimate protest against institutionalised religious privilege.
        I thought it was a protest against God bothering scum attempting to enforce their repugnant dogma on others

Homophobia.

Trying to define marriage (a de jure civil arrangement) subject to arbitrary made up rules not subject to law

The attempt to cheat women out of their absolute right to decide what to do with their own bodies.

ect. ect. ect. (sic)

Comment

Yeah, or it can be seen as satirising headwear associated with minorities. Potato tomato.

Comment

Yeah, or it can be seen as satirising headwear associated with minorities. Potato tomato.
            The headware thing is the Reform Pastafarians, not the Branch Pastafarians...

Comment

Yeah, or it can be seen as satirising headwear associated with minorities
              That was my immediate reaction. So I've written them off as racists.

Comment

I approve of some of the stuff in America challenging over-reach by right wing evangelicals. But the headgear stuff in Oz seems crass and insensitive.

(I mean they have a point about religious beliefs trumping safety being ridiculous, but going after minority religions isn't a way to address those.)

Comment

I always thought it was just a bit of a lame joke.

Although knowing the kinds of people who've quoted Flying Spaghetti Monster stuff on my various social media, I'd be entirely unsurprised to discover that they lack self-awareness and self-reflection, failed to notice that they're being racist, and taken the lame joke much much further than it should have been.

Comment

It's certainly a lame joke I remember people doing in my 1st year (1981)- our flat in the Wolverhampton poly halls went for a Pizzaland lunchtime special for our Xmas do and 'pass the 'erb, mon...I'm a pastafarian' was someone's running joke.

It stopped him talking about which bands had the best light show and going on about Villa

Comment

I've seen a car on a nearby street with a Flying Spaghetti Monster decal instead of a Jesus Fish, which did amuse me. They also had a Darwin Fish With Legs and another one of a T Rex eating a Jesus Fish. All 3 was overkill tbh.

There's definitely a vein of activist atheism that is nastily right wing with a lot of sexism and racism and some of those will be Pastafarian.

Comment

Working...
                      X