• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Movie quiz, who says "Your mama was a snowblower!"
    That would be the same character I got nicknamed for in school for having the temerity to like reading.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    The electrician father in law is on generator duty. Apparently they're hard to come by at the moment.

I'm surprised you weren't snowblowered-up already in CT.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Movie quiz, who says "Your mama was a snowblower!"

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    In other homeowning news, I just bought a snowblower. I imagine all the people in the NYT Real Estate section haven't thought that far ahead and will be surprised that someone isn't plowing their driveway in the backwoods they've moved to, and that when they finally do make it to the snowblower dealer, there are no snowblowers in stock because it's the middle of a winter storm.

Reports from here suggest that nobody much likes their plow service - they trash driveways and take a while to show up - so the snowblower seemed a better option.
    I need to get a snowblower. I have been hunting craigslist for a decent trial unit as I don't want to spend $1000 on one.

You might want to get a generator as well. That was on my list when in the rural East Coast.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    We've got a niggling problem at the roof/chimney meeting point that hasn't really been right since we moved in fourteen years ago. It has been looked at from inside and out without an explanation being suggested with any degree of conviction.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    In other homeowning news, I just bought a snowblower. I imagine all the people in the NYT Real Estate section haven't thought that far ahead and will be surprised that someone isn't plowing their driveway in the backwoods they've moved to, and that when they finally do make it to the snowblower dealer, there are no snowblowers in stock because it's the middle of a winter storm.

Reports from here suggest that nobody much likes their plow service - they trash driveways and take a while to show up - so the snowblower seemed a better option.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

I would get the chimney guy back. He will tell you if you need a roof guy, but around chimneys I have found it is more often the joins (flashing and stuff) than the roof itself.

You just moved - your inspection should tell you how old the roof is. If it is relatively new it is almost certainly the chimney. If it is old there is a guy in Canada who likes doing roof work.

It is a shame this happened now. We could have seen you in the NYT Real Estate revelation this week that home ownership involves having to get stuff fixed (though you are too far from Manhattan and not, as preferred, still maintaining an apartment in the City). My favorite was the family who moved to a house in NJ that had a wood stove for heat. They discovered they had to buy some wood.
    Given that the water is dripping down the outside of the chimney brickwork inside the house, I'm 99% sure that it's the flashing on the chimney. He's coming back out with the new cap and will be doing some masonry work with that new cap, so hopefully he can sort out the leak. I texted him to find out where we were but haven't heard anything back - chimney guys in this neck of the woods seem to be massively overworked.

We - shockingly - didn't have an inspection done on the house. The one on the last house was useless, and we were told that given the competitive level of bidding on houses out here we'd never get an offer accepted if it was conditional on inspection.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    Happy Birthday, Toby Gymshorts!

Hahahaha! Wow, that's quite something,

Those shoes are long in the bin,BTW.

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Happy Birthday, Toby Gymshorts!

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Happy birthday TG.

Wish I was 45 again, I am really noticing how all your minor ailments begin to gang up on you when you hit your mid 50s.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I’m going to B&Q with my friend to buy putty tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Last night's storm not only impacted the Christmas decorations. More problematically, it revealed a more substantial leak in the roof than we were previously aware of. There was a small leak next to the chimney a few weeks back. The chimney sweep who's going to be replacing the (cap? crown?) on top claimed to have added some pitch or something to the edge of the chimney to seal the leak. Yesterday a lot more water was dripping into the kitchen on the other side of the chimney, and appears to have caused a small crack in the ceiling, too. Now I'm not sure if Chimney Guy is the right person, or whether I need to find a Roof Guy, given that the problem is probably at the seam between chimney and roof.
    I would get the chimney guy back. He will tell you if you need a roof guy, but around chimneys I have found it is more often the joins (flashing and stuff) than the roof itself.

You just moved - your inspection should tell you how old the roof is. If it is relatively new it is almost certainly the chimney. If it is old there is a guy in Canada who likes doing roof work.

It is a shame this happened now. We could have seen you in the NYT Real Estate revelation this week that home ownership involves having to get stuff fixed (though you are too far from Manhattan and not, as preferred, still maintaining an apartment in the City). My favorite was the family who moved to a house in NJ that had a wood stove for heat. They discovered they had to buy some wood.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Thanks, man.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Anyone who's younger than me is incredibly young. And that includes you. Happy birthday.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    I'm going to assume that doesn't include me.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I forget how young some of you are.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Cheers, folks.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    Today I turned 45. The most exciting thing that has happened so far is that I've had a flu shot.
    Happy Birthday ol' young man.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yeah, kid

Hope you get some ice cream

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I would have been in the same school year as Toby. But he's a lot older what with already being halfway to 90.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Happy birthday, youngun! X

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Today I turned 45. The most exciting thing that has happened so far is that I've had a flu shot.

Middle age, eh?

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Who doesn’t prefer Leo?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Which likely explains his preference for Leo

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Lio - with an accent on the i - means mess in Spanish, in the Laurel and Hardy sense.
    Last edited by Sporting; Yesterday, 19:11.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X