Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    Deep-fried chicken wings.
    My parents had a deep fryer that they only ever used to make French fries. They let it sit for a year once and the oil went rancid inside, and that was a mess, but dad cleaned it out. They offered it to us years later, but my wife couldn't get past the rancid oil incident and said no. About six months later she said we should have taken it because it was probably fine.

Comment

What’s a UPC symbol?

Just giving Ton Ton a well earned breather.

Comment

Universal Product Code. A barcode, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

My parents had a deep fryer that they only ever used to make French fries. They let it sit for a year once and the oil went rancid inside, and that was a mess, but dad cleaned it out. They offered it to us years later, but my wife couldn't get past the rancid oil incident and said no. About six months later she said we should have taken it because it was probably fine.
          My Dad used to fry chips in a big metal saucepan he dropped a metal basket of raw chips into. He kept the same fat, solidified, for a long time. If I visited anyone again that day, they would know we’d had chips from the smell emanating from my clothes, skin and hair.

It’s a wonder I’m alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
            Universal Product Code. A barcode, in other words.
            Well if he’d said bar code! We even have those in Australia, but call them bar codes.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
              We make and barbecue our own burgers at least once every couple of weeks.
              It’s extremely common, but most people do it on an outdoor grill, so not so common in the winter.

Some people steam them. In Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

My Dad used to fry chips in a big metal saucepan he dropped a metal basket of raw chips into. He kept the same fat, solidified, for a long time. If I visited anyone again that day, they would know we’d had chips from the smell emanating from my clothes, skin and hair.

It’s a wonder I’m alive.
                That was standard practice I think. My Mum did the same, her chip pan was practically a family heirloom. When the fat in the pan finally got too low she'd drop a pound of lard into it and start again.

Comment

I reuse oil a lot.

Comment

Yes, my mum probably used a chip pan about three times a week. It wasn't the prettiest sight. They seemed to go from ubiquitous to obsolete in swift order at some point. It never even crossed my mind to get one when I left home and that isn't unusual as far as I know.

Comment

A transformer blew behind the house today and put the power out for an hour.

I was also inspired (a.k.a finally completely sick of the box) to brave putting the light fixture up in the stairs. It comes down off the second floor ceiling but I was relatively confident my little giant ladder - from Costco - would be enough to do the job.

Pig-tailing wires on the top step of a stair ladder is certainly an experience. Fortunately Mrs dglh arrived back to help support the light while I got it all connected.

Comment

Toilet paper appears to be in short supply again around here.

Comment

Maybe people are shitting themselves at how crappy the local covid situation has got lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            Yes, my mum probably used a chip pan about three times a week. It wasn't the prettiest sight. They seemed to go from ubiquitous to obsolete in swift order at some point. It never even crossed my mind to get one when I left home and that isn't unusual as far as I know.
                            A combination of the rise of the self-contained deep fat fryer and those public information films about chip pan fires put paid to them.

As for re-using oil, Mam would do so until it was almost more bits floating in it than actual oil.

Comment

What do people think about oven chips? An acceptable alternative or complete crap?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

That was standard practice I think. My Mum did the same, her chip pan was practically a family heirloom. When the fat in the pan finally got too low she'd drop a pound of lard into it and start again.
                                Yep, that was pretty much standard. My mother gave me her chip pan about forty years ago, though I used oil, not fat. I hadn't used it for years so got rid of it quite recently. It was probably as old as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                  Pig-tailing wires
                                  Sometimes I think you guys do it on purpose, you know.

Comment

I just got bitten on the arm by a flying ant. Hurt like a bastard.

In other news I did some weeding and pruning, and fixed a lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      What do people think about oven chips? An acceptable alternative or complete crap?
                                      Why are you asking about oven chips on here? From what I can gather, everybody on this board deep-fries their own chips because everybody owns a deep fat fryer, which they also use to deep-fry chicken wings, as an accompaniment to their home-made burgers.

I wonder how these fast-food joints ever get any customers.

Comment

They are in no way an acceptable alternative, no. They are another, very different thing. They aren't the worst thing ever invented since sliced bread. But they are very much "meh".

Comment

Cut up a spud into strips, stick on a baking tray drizzled in olive oil, cook in the oven for about an hour, produces lovely "chips".

Comment

So, an update on the fridge situation. This morning, without me changing the settings in any way, I woke to find the ice cubes in each of the freezer shelves melting. There's also a smell in the fridge itself that reminds me of damp cloth. I'm taking WOM's advice and completely defrosting the whole thing, not that there was much to defrost. I've switched it off at the mains and am going to leave it powered down until at least tonight. I cleaned the inside of the fridge with some surface cleaner but that damp smell is still there. If I had to place a bet I'd say that this thing is on its last legs and I'll be buying a new one during the week.

Comment

The texture's all wrong - a good chip should be fluffy inside, not dry as a bone.

Comment

Genuinely think that D.U.N. has driven me to misophonia. Every single sound that comes through the ceiling sets me on edge.

Comment

Any chance you could improve the noise insulation on your ceiling, Toby? I feel for you: inconsiderate nuisance neighbours can easily become a source of escalating anxiety and annoyance, and it’s nearly always worse when it happens in a flat.

Chippy matters: my mum also had a rank chip pan, that usually sat on the stove top wafting out it’s rancid pong. Long gone, of course. I’ll usually do what Spoony does and roast thinnish wedges of potato in the oven in place of chips, but don’t mind frozen skinny fries either.

Comment

Roast are the best, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X