No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm living ina new flat but there is still a bunch of stuff to do. Like getting people to come round and install carpets, and filling in forms. I know I shouldn't moan but it is very hard, particularly as I have not clicked at all with my new floating support worker and don't feel like I can ask her for help. She got me the money for the flooring which is great but, um, it just got put into my account and now I have to work out how to turn it into carpets and this is the kind of connection I've found almost impossible to make for my whole life.

Comment

Off to the supermarket. Half tempted to buy loads of toilet rolls to see if I can single handedly spark a new wave of panic buying like in the good old days when the pandemic was new and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Off to the supermarket. Half tempted to buy loads of toilet rolls to see if I can single handedly spark a new wave of panic buying like in the good old days when the pandemic was new and fun.
        According to the Costco Ajax Facebook Group, it's already begun in earnest. Apparently people are filling their carts and it's not on sale.

Comment

Costco Ajax? Isn't that Barcelona?

Comment

Wasted on WOM

Very good nonetheless

Ajax is a Toronto suburb

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Some people may have too much time on their hands
              I have reason to be wading back through this thread (I haven't really, I was just bored) and I can't believe that I missed this at the time and that it garnered no response. It is fucking hilarious.

Hold on, I see that jdsx expressed the correct level of admiration but the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.
              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 22-09-2020, 16:56.

Comment

I lasted 35 seconds.

Comment

Does everyone know about thawing things quickly (meat esp) by leaving it on a metal surface? Cookie sheets work fine, but leaving it on a flat, cast iron surface is really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    I lasted 35 seconds.
                    That's what she said, etc.

Comment

I lasted 35 seconds.
                      You don't like football or trains? Why are you here? Is it the dank?

Comment

That is absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

I have reason to be wading back through this thread (I haven't really, I was just bored) and I can't believe that I missed this at the time and that it garnered no response. It is fucking hilarious.

Hold on, I see that jdsx expressed the correct level of admiration but the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.
                          Missed it first time round, glad you revived it.

Comment

Trying to calculate whether we can afford to buy a house. We've been so close so many times and something has always gone wrong to prevent it.

When we first moved in together, we both had full-time jobs and I had a sizeable deposit saved, but we wanted to try living together renting before we bought. We thought going straight to a mortgage together would be too much pressure on the relationship. Then, I got burnt out from my corporate job (long story involving arsehole boss and promises that the company never intended to keep) and quit. While I was doing part-time jobs and trying to work out my next move, I got pregnant. We might still have been able to get a mortgage on just my husband's salary, but when our daughter was 4 months old, due to various reasons (including more arsehole corporate types) we decided to strike out on our own and set up our own company. You can't get a mortgage with your own company until you can show at least a couple of years of income, so that's what we were then aiming for...

But, I got terrible postnatal depression and stopped doing the invoices for our company. So my husband was working like a dog and earning money hand over fist, but no money was actually entering our bank account. We burnt through our savings incredibly quickly. Then I got pregnant again and we needed to move house so we had more space for our second child. I'd started issuing some invoices by then, but there was such a backlog that we ended up having to borrow money from my mum to finance the move.

Once in our new (again rented) house and with our new son, I tackled the backlog of invoices aggressively for the first few months, but probably worked myself too hard. I ended up having a psychotic episode and being in a mother and baby unit for nearly four months.

My husband carried on working while I was ill, but couldn't put as much attention into work while also looking after me and the kids, so work for that business dwindled. We set up another company, with two friends as extra directors, a bit more security for everybody. But again, the problem of a new company and being unable to show steady income for a few years. We gradually built up a deposit again.

This year was going to be the year to buy. Three years of increasing income. Everyone on steady PAYE salaries and dividend bonuses. A healthy deposit. More work in the pipeline. And then Covid-19 hit. Our company mostly did face-to-face training, which essentially died overnight. We've kept going with telephone coaching, online webinars, e-learning packages, but 3 out of 4 directors, including me, had to go on furlough. Mortgage brokers are understandably wary of if business will return to pre-Covid-19 levels and, if so, when? We need to drum up new business, but we've been homeschooling two children making it a little hard to concentrate.

Then, miracle of miracles, after a year or two of unsuccessful applications, I've landed a steady, permanent job, with a decent salary, starting on Monday. But during Covid-19, the number of mortgages that will take you on with only 10% deposit have dwindled, and the interest rates have gone up. I've been doing the calculations today and maybe, maybe, if we pool everything, we might be able to scrape together a mortgage for a place that will just about fit all four of us in. If we don't do it now, we'll get too old to be eligible for a 25-year mortgage.

I am tired of paying rent. In our lifetimes, me and my husband between us have spent well over one hundred thousand pounds on rent, with nothing to show for it. Probably closer to two hundred thousand pounds. We could more easily afford to buy in a different area of the country, but my new job will eventually require me to be within easy commuting distance of London. Catch-22. And we really like the children's school. Ideally, we'd stay within walking distance of that, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that that might not be possible. They'll survive if they have to move schools again. It'll just be harder to make friends with a new set of parents if I'm not doing the school run.

I am aware that these are all very first world problems. We are still fortunate even if we never manage to buy a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              You don't like football or trains? Why are you here? Is it the dank?
                              It's a good place to practice my English.

Comment

Trains are fine, btw. They're not as good as monorails, but they're fine.

Comment

Balderdasha, you may find house prices dip a bit next year?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                    Balderdasha, you may find house prices dip a bit next year?
                                    It's possible but not guaranteed and currently there's a stamp duty holiday which expires next March.

Comment

House prices on average might fall, but if you're in the distant-commuterland of London where people might find more property for their cash knowing they only need to go into a city office once or twice a week in the Zoom-heavy post-covid work-from-home world, it's possible that demand will be increasing. I wouldn't want to second guess the housing market right now - it might go crazy in all kinds of ways.

Comment

Balderdasha That is rough. Best of luck.

But congrats on the job. That's great.

Will your new job have any flexibility at all on the commute? Like, what if you came in two or three days a week? What counts as an "easy commute?" Would an hour be too much?

That all sounds very difficult. I admire your effort.

I always imagined the commuter life in England wouldn't be too bad. Your train service is relatively better than ours and you have lots of ancient villages that seem a lot more pleasant than the comparable sprawling exurbs in most of the US outside of the northeast. But a lot of those places are probably extremely expensive too.

Interest rates are so low here that demand is through the roof. It's hard to get the mortgage people on the phone. I just did a refinance that will save me a few hundred dollars a month. After years of paying way too much rent for too little, I got really lucky in a number of ways to be able to live where I do now.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 22-09-2020, 18:02.

Comment

It needs to be said that the train clip needs SOUND ON.

Comment

One of the young women I work with (maybe 28 / 29 / 30) has made an offer on a house in the same neighborhood we were considering in 1999. The houses, then, were all around $190,000 to $210,000. The one she's looking at is $899,000, and will probably close for $930,000. In just 20 years.

Comment

As we've moved onto property, we're probably going to have a loft extension. I was looking at our neighbours earlier today. Won't be cheap and it might be messy but it needs to be done.

Comment

One of the young women I work with (maybe 28 / 29 / 30) has made an offer on a house in the same neighborhood we were considering in 1999. The houses, then, were all around $190,000 to $210,000. The one she's looking at is $899,000, and will probably close for $930,000. In just 20 years.
                                                That's outrageous. The Globe and Mail should do an article on housing prices in Canada's big cities.

Comment

Oh, I got an appointment at the Ear Hospital - 5 November. Just over 6 weeks away.

It's in Guy's Hospital.
                                                  Last edited by MsD; 22-09-2020, 19:27.

Comment

The rented house we live in has almost doubled in "value" since our landlords bought it in 2013. The 2013 price would be comfortably within our price range. The 2020 price is not.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X