Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    Today's mundane parenting dilemma. Son likes milk. Son is currently eligible for a carton of free milk at school every morning break time. Son is currently refusing to drink this free milk because he is suspicious of the packaging. At home, we have big bottles of milk which is poured into a cup or glass for him. At school they have individual cartons with a straw. If I could buy some of the individual cartons with straws and get him to try them at home (through bribery probably) then maybe he'd drink them at school. But nowhere sells individual cartons of milk with straws for purchase by a household. Sainsbury's used to, but don't any longer, because the environment. I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Incidentally, when I lived in China, all the little shops sold cartons of peanut flavoured milk and strawberry or chocolate flavoured milk. I used to drink a carton a day because all the milk was UHT and I couldn't stomach it in non-flavoured versions.
    I loathed school milk. Only thing Thatcher ever got right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I loathed school milk. Only thing Thatcher ever got right.
      I loved it when it was in the little glass bottles. My mum managed to bring a few of them home from the school (she was a dinner lady at the time) and decanted milk into them to get me to drink it. It took me years to realise that the milk in the little glass bottles was the same as the milk in the fridge.

Comment

Though apparently Thatcher stopped free milk in 1971 for children over seven, eleven years before I was born.

Currently, children under five get free milk. Not sure what the precise rules were when I was at primary school.

Comment

The weather in SE England is due to go dramatically downhill after today so, while it's dry and sunny, I'm going to mow the back lawn and hope that will be the last haircut it needs until next spring.

We've got a loose paving stone on the steps leading to the front door. I really should try to fix it but probably won't.

I'm going to touch up the paintwork in the bathroom but I've no idea of the colour on the walls. It's a sort of dark cream, maybe. Perhaps a very pale yellow. I grabbed some colour chart strips from B & Q yesterday so when the sunlight comes through the window this afternoon we're all going to submit our best guesses.

I need to compose a delicate letter to an individual who owes my daughter some money. Very tricky and, like the paving stone, something I've been putting off for a while.

I ordered some more jeans from Uniqlo after the previous sizing failure. I hope these ones fit.

I'm not shaving at the moment to see how bad a beard would look on me. My family either haven't noticed or are trying to ignore the horror.

Comment

My plans to make the most of the last nice day have been derailed by managing to almost cut the end of my finger off while shaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              My plans to make the most of the last nice day have been derailed by managing to almost cut the end of my finger off while shaving.

Ouch!

Does it need stitching?

Comment

Ouchee. We should start a thread for Digital Distress.

Comment

I don't think it need stitches; I put a big plaster on tightly and it has stopped bleeding. I wasn't paying attention, somehow caught the razor on my fingernail and it travelled through and gouged out a half moon of nail and finger, still connected enough to make pressing it back together seem the right way forward. I'm kicking myself for not concentrating though. Allowing the mind to wander seems to result in accidents much more often than it used to.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                    With an accompanying range of splints, bandages and mittens?

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...29#post2348127

Comment

The bins are out. We also mobilised the FIFO neighbour's.

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post

Lentil, onion and beetroot salad I made this morning today for lunch ... given my current state of unemployment, I am now officially the household cook (weekdays anyway). I started doing it fairly regularly when I was WFH and now it's a M-F thing. I've never been more than a beans on toast guy previously, but I'm really enjoying finding recipes. I'm shocked I tells ya.

Bog standard barbeque lamb chops and mixed salad tonight. My BIL bought a whole lamb from his neighbour and gave us half.
                          How are prospects work-wise Willie?

Comment

Benjm’s shaving wound made me feel queasy momentarily.

Comment

Sorry, Sits, maybe I should join the ranks of the bearded to insulate us both from the risk of a repeat horror.

Comment

Thanks but you almost cutting the tip off your finger is not all about me. Only partly.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                  Oh, and to save WOM the job
                                  Very thoughtful. Cheers.

I also have gotten the bins down. We had a big empty box from the kitty litter and i didn't feel like fighting with it, so I just stuck it in Bob's bin next door.

Mrs WOM has now ridden her motorbike to school 5 times. This amazes me, as she barely rides solo anywhere. And the girl is at work on her third 8 hour shift. She's relatively flush with money and nowhere to spend it, so this may work out yet.

I also have nicked myself shaving twice in the last two weeks. Must look into one of those styptic pencils like the gentlemen use.

Comment

I've just had a sales rep drop off some samples for me. Leaving aside the slightly suspect wisdom of doing cold visits in the current pandemic, he seems to think that although the reason I don't use his products is because his 8-inch balloon is too large, I might be interested in a five foot high inflatable champagne bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                      I've just had a sales rep drop off some samples for me. Leaving aside the slightly suspect wisdom of doing cold visits in the current pandemic, he seems to think that although the reason I don't use his products is because his 8-inch balloon is too large, I might be interested in a five foot high inflatable champagne bottle.

I know what line of work you're in but the minds of those that don't must be racing at this titbit.

Comment

I'm amazed that balloons of any kind are still a thing. There's a global helium shortage, plus balloons have to be just about the worst single-use, non-recyclable polluting crap around - whether rubber or foil. Kudos to pebble for his moral rectitude.

Comment

I could give a home to a 5ft inflatable champagne bottle if anyone’s chucking one out.

Comment

The hell? By my count, you're running 6 separate off-site storage units already. You need a Marie Kondo book, that's what.

Comment

*Inflatable*, dude. It could be collapsed for easy storage when not in use.

Comment

One champagne bottle in the post for MsD!

(Actually, I hope the post girl's in today, as this is our last day in the office for the forseeable)

Comment

Thank you! Ignore the haterz.

Comment

My thumb is really iffy today.

Support not here yet.

I got a battery from Amazon that I'm going to put into my soil PH tester soon.

Bought a big tub of vanilla ice-cream and am halfway through it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X