No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latter is even harder to do on a bike, and you're likely to do worse than just strain your thumb.

Comment

I think it may have been slightly dislocated, as I've just massaged it a bit and it's not hurting as much. Have been looking at thumb supports on Amazon.

I had to put a thumb-rest pad on my saxophone, as that was hurting me, but I've not been playing it lately. I fancy a go now but Milly is asleep and I don't want to disturb the lady in the caravan.

Comment

A support should help.

I have strained ligaments on occasion and now have one to add to my growing collection of old man helpers (wrist, elbow, multiple knee, etc.)

Comment

I've ordered a thumb support.

Comment

I got diagnosed with "trigger finger" in my thumb that was causing pain at the base of it pre-covid, they gave me a steroid shot that helped a bit; it's come back recently, not badly enough that I want to bother dealing with it with things as they are currently.

Comment

There should be a Thumb Support Line with volunteers trained to talk to cyclists, hitchhikers and people who overuse the universal gesture of agreement.

Comment

It's not entirely universal I think. I read somewhere that it's pretty offensive in Iran
                (not sure how that translates into Facebook world)

Comment

I feel there are a couple of people on this board who might be interested in these:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/adidas-azx-sneaker-drop

Purchase via online draw entry. Yes, I have entered, but only because I want to keep them for a few months then sell them for twice the price.
                  Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 21-09-2020, 20:35.

Comment

Played tennis for first time in 6 months. All of us very tentative re sprinting to the net for fear of twanging aging hamstrings. Over 200 years of experience on that court.

After a cautious beginning, I started nailing winners left right and centre. Remarkable stuff if I say so myself. Nearly every one landing a foot inside the line rather than the usual foot out.

Probably the best I’ve ever played although I’m a novice. So, do I stay away for another 6 months or just hope my mojo is still there this week!?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                      I feel there are a couple of people on this board who might be interested in these:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/adidas-azx-sneaker-drop

Purchase via online draw entry. Yes, I have entered, but only because I want to keep them for a few months then sell them for twice the price.
                      I managed to resist the Adidas New Order stuff that came out last week, recognising that if it wasn't for the NO branding none of it would be anywhere near my want list.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                        I can't help, but is there anything left that one could possibly do?
                        I've managed to temporarily resurrect the phone by charging it fully and holding onto the power button for an excessively long period of time, but I don't think it'll last long.

Comment

We had a iPhone or an iPod once that totally bricked, and then a full charge and a reboot later went on for like another three years. Who knows how these things work.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                            I retrieved my dress from the drycleaners today.

Had pizza, wine and a margarita in a pub with some friends first, very enjoyable.

I popped into Tesco on the way back and scored a few items, including a load of Seeded Sensations (brown bread with seeds in it) which was yellow-stickered down to 43p.

It fell out of my bag on the way home as I hadn't fastened it properly. I thought of going back to look for it, but it was only 43p. Does mean I can't have toast in the morning, though.
                            Like Onan you shed your seeded sensation on the ground.

Comment

Well, not exactly like Onan.

Comment

I feel I am really exhausting my repertoire of WFH lunches. Today it is SAO crackers (the local Jacobs substitute) some with butter/marmite and some with peanut butter. Plus some sweet potato crisps. I may liven things up later with a Granny Smith.

Life on the edge.

Comment

I’d eat that.

Lucky for you, your kitchen is a safe distance.

Comment

My effing company is starting up another journal club, for all research. Is there no end to the indignities?
                                    Anyway, I'm finding some shred of optimism that maybe this will mean the end of our department one, though unfortunately that's not likely to be before I have to do mine on Thursday, though I am now regretting having sent out an article earlier today. The other one looks easier to get out of, though to be honest for our department ones I've zoomed in then surfed the web or whatever while whoever's presenting has wittered on in the background. I'm reasonably sure I achieved my crossy road high score in one of them.

Comment

I had wine for first time in ages tonight and it seems to have set off the tinnitus in my blocked ear.

And my head is cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        I feel I am really exhausting my repertoire of WFH lunches. Today it is SAO crackers (the local Jacobs substitute) some with butter/marmite and some with peanut butter. Plus some sweet potato crisps. I may liven things up later with a Granny Smith.

Life on the edge.
                                        Lentil, onion and beetroot salad I made this morning today for lunch ... given my current state of unemployment, I am now officially the household cook (weekdays anyway). I started doing it fairly regularly when I was WFH and now it's a M-F thing. I've never been more than a beans on toast guy previously, but I'm really enjoying finding recipes. I'm shocked I tells ya.

Bog standard barbeque lamb chops and mixed salad tonight. My BIL bought a whole lamb from his neighbour and gave us half.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                          In my one on one with my boss today I was asked about one of my co-workers. All very awkward as a significant part of my team's meetings are spent mocking this particular co-worker, and everyone hates them (apart from my boss). I waffled my way around "self-centered, conceited, crap scientist with a loud mouth and no understanding" for a while. I did discover that my boss views at least one of the things that I view as an example of their selfishness, as an example of their being a team player. And that my boss is willing to blame the other person on the co-worker's team for stuff that is both of their fault.
                                          So I reported back to my team that our boss (the department head) views this co-worker as a good team player and was met with stunned, disbelieving silence.

Additional boss weirdness occurred later in the day. Our team had planned a course of action and the department head was querying whether we shouldn't wait for some additional data before embarking on it. So we discussed it in the team meeting, and decided that it didn't really make sense to wait, for a couple of reasons. So the project leader sent the department head a reply to this effect, and went through our reasoning. Our project leader then received two reply e-mails from the head in the same minute:
                                          1. reply to project leader only, saying "I don't agree with your rationale, but if you and your team feel strongly about it I guess you can do it".
                                          2. reply to the whole team saying "this all makes sense, let's do it"

Comment

Weird dreams recently. A couple of nights ago I debuted as a stand-up comedian. I realised at the very beginning I had forgotten the punchline to a rather dubious joke about Tourette's, but somehow got away with it and ended up being applauded.

Last night I was in Guinea-Bissau attempting to get a visitor's visa. Bloke in the hut who was dealing with this didn't have change for a fifty note and only spoke French.

Comment

My mom told me today that she did attend the church service for her great-grandchild's one year "dedication" ceremony. It's worse than I had hoped. The church had congregants separated by two pews, which is probably at least six feet, but no one was wearing a mask and there was singing going on. I guess we will know in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for her. I hope it was worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I've managed to temporarily resurrect the phone by charging it fully and holding onto the power button for an excessively long period of time, but I don't think it'll last long.
                                                I had a TV a bit like that. Hold the power button for three minutes and then never, ever, ever turn it off because it wouldn't turn back on again. I had to put a rag over it overnight so I could sleep.

Comment

Today's mundane parenting dilemma. Son likes milk. Son is currently eligible for a carton of free milk at school every morning break time. Son is currently refusing to drink this free milk because he is suspicious of the packaging. At home, we have big bottles of milk which is poured into a cup or glass for him. At school they have individual cartons with a straw. If I could buy some of the individual cartons with straws and get him to try them at home (through bribery probably) then maybe he'd drink them at school. But nowhere sells individual cartons of milk with straws for purchase by a household. Sainsbury's used to, but don't any longer, because the environment. I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Incidentally, when I lived in China, all the little shops sold cartons of peanut flavoured milk and strawberry or chocolate flavoured milk. I used to drink a carton a day because all the milk was UHT and I couldn't stomach it in non-flavoured versions.

Comment

I have had two fairly major nosebleeds in three days. I feel that some cauterising may be looming in my future.

Oh, and to save WOM the job:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X