Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Not even November and you're already whinging? Just wait until there's four feet of snow on the ground and you can't feel your fingers or toes. Winter is coming.
    I didn’t want to say anything lest I cause offense. But 39f is not “winter setting in hard.” That’s barely “autumn setting in hard.”

But enjoy it while it lasts. You’ll probably live to see the end of winter as we know it.

Comment

I read the "winter setting in hard" part and thought SB's going to have a rough next 6 months.

Comment

I may have been being slightly sarcastic. Although this is pretty much like the coldest day of a San Diego winter , I am aware that lots colder is coming

Comment

26 degrees today and a definite feeling that woolies are needed soon.

Comment

I live in a place with real winters and today it was 3? in the morning. I also got the hump on about winter starting, so I'm inclined to cut SB some slack

Comment

I am incredibly temperature sensitive and I can't wait for autumn / winter.

Comment

My daughter went off to a birthday party today, and, apart from anything else, it did rather drum home the "kids can't be relied on to distance and wear masks" thing. Though actually my girl did relatively well.
                We got there and one of her friends came rushing up to her and gave her a big hug (my daughter recoiled at first, before going with it). Then I left and came back to pick her up later. By which point a couple of the 8 or so girls were now maskless, and they were all just milling around together. One of the maskless ones was trying to get the others to take off their masks, with varying degrees of success.
                Though frankly the parents were only marginally better, 2 of them apparently don't breathe through their noses.

Comment

Daughter lobbied to get sushi takeout today, both kids are showing decent proficiency with chopsticks at this point. Unsurprisingly, a deep-fried spicy tuna roll is very tasty.

Continuing on the food theme, I made Cheeseboard-style sourdough cheese rolls yesterday, they turned out very well, so I'm feeling smug. Along with sourdough scones, that makes two excellent recipes using my starter discard.

Comment

We're creeping into summer here, and it's 30C now but a southerly change is on its way. I am WFH with the French doors open, and can hear the sound of primary school children in the playground three blocks away. Such a universal, timeless, evocative sound. Exactly the way it sounded when I was 8 or 9, we lived across the road from school and I was feigning sickness to stay home. So the evocation is of a combination of smugness and guilt.

My finger's not too bad, thanks for asking. #channelingMsD

Comment

I had quiche last night.

Comment

Off to the dentists. OTF favourite Nextdoor has been abuzz with tales of said profession surcharging substantially for PPE so I'll be interested to see what my one's position is.

Comment

I’ve cycled to the park, am sat outside the cafe waiting for a wrap to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                            I’ve cycled to the park, am sat outside the cafe waiting for a wrap to arrive.

Feeling a bit chilled?

Comment

...am sat outside the cafe waiting for a wrap to arrive.
                              Tasty snack rather than Lou Reed type wrap, I hope.

Comment

Very autumnal at sunrise this morning. Proper nip in the air too

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Tasty snack rather than Lou Reed type wrap, I hope.
                                  Whatever must you think of me.

Comment

My phone company contacted me this week to arrange a new contract. I signed up for a SIM-only deal, negotiated a lower monthly rate than previously for the same service, said I didn't need a new handset as mine was working fine. Two days later my phone has just died. Dead as a dodo. Crap. Any suggestions for a simple smartphone handset that won't cost the earth and, preferably, won't die in 2 years time? I mostly want it for calls, texts, WhatsApp, google maps, checking otf, googling stuff, occasionally listening to music on youtube and occasionally watching Netflix.

Comment

I can't help, but is there anything left that one could possibly do?

Comment

Cor, cycling rather than walking to Tesco takes like seconds. I scored another Seeds Sensation loaf, marked down to 53p this time.

There’s a Yorkshire Terrier staying in the caravan (with his owner), so the cats have called a truce and are both sitting in my garden. That calls for a few Dreamies each (making sure Milly has more).

Comment

Dying in 2 years time is what they do.

The market is designed in such a way that your decision is how much money am I willing to spend every two to three years?

I've loved my Nokia 8 which is now coming to the end of its useful life but their entry level phone are ridiculously cheap and will do what you're looking for.

Comment

Please note that I chuckled indulgently at a small child in the park earlier, as he was instructing his smaller sibling on footballing rules and tactics. Both too small for school.

Comment

I’ve done something to my right thumb. Hmm.

Comment

"Something"? That leaves a lot of room for our imaginations.

Comment

The knuckle hurts when I flex it. Maybe from changing gear on the bike.

(That's "gear" as in chain tension, not swapping out gak for some skunk.)

Comment

I’ve done something to my right thumb. Hmm.
                                                    Yeah. I find the bike gives me minor arthritic pains in my digits, especially both thumbs. Aging minor motor movements innit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X