Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit: wrong thread.
    Last edited by Balderdasha; 20-09-2020, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Wrong thread?
      Yes, thanks, I'll transfer these two posts to the Covid-19 thread.

Comment

Our tv remote's almost always wedged down the side of our sofa when it goes missing. Last time I had to hunt for it I found two pens and a fiver down there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
          On the bright side, it was only your finger.
          True. But what cause would I have to get the hosepipe anywhere close to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Our tv remote's almost always wedged down the side of our sofa when it goes missing. Last time I had to hunt for it I found two pens and a fiver down there too.
            I lost my remote a few months ago, and I don't own a sofa. Where's mine (and where's my fiver?)?

Comment

I’ll save WOM the effort, and suggest they are lost in the folds of your curtains.

Comment

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CURTAINS!!!

Comment

It's likely the previous tenant is in there somewhere, too. Ask him if he's seen it.

Comment

Going back to yesterday's discussion - the answer is butyric acid, the same reason that Hershey's Vile "Chocolate" tastes of vomit. Ad hoc is - to a degree - correct. Of course, parmesan is delicious and the butyric acid is an important part of the flavour profile, whereas chocolate is not meant to taste anything like butyric acid.

Comment

According to the Wikipedia page on butyric acid "The substance has also been used as a stink bomb by Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to disrupt Japanese whaling crews."

Comment

Meanwhile, winter has set in hard, here. It was a freezing 39 degrees (4C) when I set off on my morning bike ride today, and only a couple of degrees warmer yesterday. The trees are beginning to change colour rapidly.

In mundanity, I put up some shelving in a closet a couple of days ago. Played golf better, but still pretty badly, down near the cape yesterday and - despite the bitter cold - had some excellent soft serve from a small stand in Plymouth. Have a man coming to replace the gutters on Wednesday. And tomorrow morning I'm off to the USCIS office in Lawrence to answer questions like "Who wrote the Federalist Papers" and "What was the US's main concern during the Cold War".
                        Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 20-09-2020, 16:10.

Comment

What is soft serve?

Comment

Soft serve ice cream. Mr Whippy style. Except, somehow, it tastes better in New England. New Englanders are weirdly obsessive about ice cream considering that the place is bitterly cold for most of the year. As someone who enjoys his ice cream, I'm not complaining. But it doesn't really seem to make sense that there's more ice cream here than in California or Florida.

Comment

One of the real surprises of my first winter at uni was that Cantabrigians would literally queue up for ice cream while it was snowing

Comment

You call them Cantabrigians? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Meanwhile, winter has set in hard, here. It was a freezing 39 degrees (4C) when I set off on my morning bike ride today, and only a couple of degrees warmer yesterday. The trees are beginning to change colour rapidly.

In mundanity, I put up some shelving in a closet a couple of days ago. Played golf better, but still pretty badly, down near the cape yesterday and - despite the bitter cold - had some excellent soft serve from a small stand in Plymouth. Have a man coming to replace the gutters on Wednesday. And tomorrow morning I'm off to the USCIS office in Lawrence to answer questions like "Who wrote the Federalist Papers" and "What was the US's main concern during the Cold War".
                                  Some good Dominican food in Lawrence.

Comment

That’s a thing here. The Penn State Creamery is a busy year round. It’s good, but not that good, in my opinion.

Comment

You call them Cantabrigians? Ha!
                                      The New York Times and New Yorker each used both that and Cantabs in its Ivy League football reports back in the day

Comment

Does it mean just Hahvahd students or anyone from north of the river?

Comment

It means residents of Cambridge, though not when used for college football. The Globe may have used it for Patrick Ewing's high school basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

True. But what cause would I have to get the hosepipe anywhere close to that?
                                            Freak accidents happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              What is soft serve?
                                              That stuff Thatcher invented innit.

Comment

Not even November and you're already whinging? Just wait until there's four feet of snow on the ground and you can't feel your fingers or toes. Winter is coming.

Comment

Not even October...

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Not even November and you're already whinging? Just wait until there's four feet of snow on the ground and you can't feel your fingers or toes. Winter is coming.
                                                    If you could generate energy from my whining you might be able to heat half the houses in New England.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X