Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Yep. And the price can vary immensely. You can get a very basic one for, like, 50 quid or something.

And you can get wireless enabled smart trainers than allow you put your bike on a stand and compete against other people in a virtual setting, and the resistance changes to match the virtual terrain, for something around a grand. You can even buy a wireless enabled fan that simulates the wind speed getting faster as you go "downhill".
    Thanks!!

DM me if you have any more specific recommendations on that.

Comment

I spent the afternoon filling in legal Property Information Forms for my aunt’s flat sale. Boy, is that dull. And finding/copying all the supporting docs needed is a right chore.

Maybe I wouldn’t have minded so much if I hadn’t done exactly the same task last week for our place that we’re selling.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I like watching the sun rise. Like at 4am, walking home from a night out, knowing I'll be shortly to bed to sleep through until noon.

I think I'm part ocelot.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          Here on the US east coast, all the TV and sport seems to be designed for people who basically never sleep, or go to sleep at 2am and wake at 10.
          And you well know what you can blame for that.

Central time is pretty dope other than, like Mountain Time, everyone on the Coasts is basically ignorant to it existing.

Comment

For probably 15 years, I was a night owl. Since kids....17 years now...I'm up at 5:30 and in bed by 10:30 every night. I watched a Raptors game that ended at 11:30 last week and I felt like a vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Exciting meeting a Canadian?
              I mean, I was excited but I managed to conceal it.

Comment

I'm a late person and always was. If I see the dawn, it tends to be on the way home. (There was a year when I worked as a chambermaid and started work at 7.30, but I was 16.) Nightshifts suited me reasonably well in my 30s. My current sleep pattern is about 3am - 11am and I'm doing well if I'm up and dressed by noon. I tend to work in the afternoons and get a short spurt of energy around midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

I mean, I was excited but I managed to conceal it.
                  What, me or Geddy?

Comment

I'm not telling.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                      I'm a late person and always was. If I see the dawn, it tends to be on the way home. (There was a year when I worked as a chambermaid and started work at 7.30, but I was 16.) Nightshifts suited me reasonably well in my 30s. My current sleep pattern is about 3am - 11am and I'm doing well if I'm up and dressed by noon. I tend to work in the afternoons and get a short spurt of energy around midnight.
                      That sounds good.

My ideal work schedule would be 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM, or 11 am to 8 pm, with an hour off in the middle.

I recall that my internal clock got especially messed up in graduate school and I thought it would be nice to get a night shift job at the bagel place. I really longed for a job where I didn't have to talk to the public or try to sound impressive. But I'd still have to go to class during normal people's daytime so that wouldn't have worked. Plus, I didn't know anything about making bagels.

Comment

In laundry/beetroot-related news, the stain on my silk shirt is hardly visible now. Good, cos I love this shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          My ideal work schedule would be 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM, or 11 am to 8 pm, with an hour off in the middle.
                          One reason I ended up working in graphics and presentations for the banks for a while was because they offered those sort of work patterns. 11-8 or 12-8 is regarded as a "split shift", which means you get a bit more money for the last couple of hours, and you miss the rush hour, and can go out straight from work without missing anything. I had a good number at Lehman's for my last few years there: Friday 2pm - midnight, Saturday 2- 8pm, Sunday 2pm - midnight. With shift allowances, that meant I was on an equivalent full-time salary for 24 hours of work a week, plus I got a paid cab home for the late finishes. I did some freelance work during the week but didn't need to. <sigh>

Comment

My last contract at IBM was for telecom support for a pubco, back in the days of modems...The hours were 1600-0200. I loved it..Very quiet, you were allowed to have a television on (no streaming back then...) once the last office regulars were out. I was back home at 215 and asleep by 3am, up at 9 the day after so had most of the day to do stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I can’t afford that.
                              I’ll have to muddle through.
                              I have some dumbbells and a floor for sit-ups and that's my gym. And I walk around the suburb. I should add that I'm far from ripped.

Comment

I'm very much a morning person. If I have to get stuff done after, say, 1 pm I might as well not bother even trying, as it will take three times longer and be half the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                  My last contract at IBM was for telecom support for a pubco, back in the days of modems...The hours were 1600-0200. I loved it..Very quiet, you were allowed to have a television on (no streaming back then...) once the last office regulars were out. I was back home at 215 and asleep by 3am, up at 9 the day after so had most of the day to do stuff.
                                  Yeah, that was my life for about 4 years in restaurants. The 'close' shift was glorious. Where I kept the same hours you did, my co-manager would go home, have a big dinner, watch a movie or something and then go to bed around 6:30. That was his 'evening'. I was in bed the second I got home and up around 10 the next day.

Comment

I proudly toddle off to bed at 9pm-9.30pm on week nights, and indeed some Fridays and Saturdays. Go to sleep around 10. The dog wakes up at 5am so if I want a decent kip that's the way it is. Even if the dog slept in our (NB dog does not commute) commute starts at 6am (that's the pay-off for leaving work at about 3.30pm).

HP if you think going to gym will help you physically and mentally then weigh up the risk. Take what precautions you can. I suspect many of us will at some point have to adapt to balance the risks posed by COVID against any damage precautions to avoid it are causing.
                                    Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 17-09-2020, 00:39.

Comment

Tonka is not helping my sleep. I think he sleeps too much during the day so he wakes me up a few times at night. I need to adjust that by finding times to walk during the day instead of just doing one epic walk at the end of each day.

Comment

SPOILER: CONTAINS SPIDERS

The big spider I saw a couple of weeks ago turned up tonight. When I say "turned up", he/she ran over my chest and up to my shoulder as I was watching telly.

Yes, of course I screamed my head off and jumped around.

Meanwhile, the small spider whose web I've broken with either a stick or my face every day for the past couple of weeks had built its web in a sort of arch this afternoon, so I could pass through without problems, and the ones down the end of the garden by the house had similarly moved the fuck over so that we can walk along the path without getting a face-full.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                          I'm very much a morning person. If I have to get stuff done after, say, 1 pm I might as well not bother even trying, as it will take three times longer and be half the quality.
                                          This is me, but substitute 1pm for 10am. Actually, not always true - if I can blunder through the 10-4 stretch of borderline uselessness without knackering myself completely, I sometimes perk up a bit and put in a decent hour and half before I log off.

Comment

I always was a morning person. These days that manifests as an inability to sleep through properly, and a complete absence of any motivation for anything much past around 1pm. ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                              SPOILER: CONTAINS SPIDERS

The big spider I saw a couple of weeks ago turned up tonight. When I say "turned up", he/she ran over my chest and up to my shoulder as I was watching telly.

Yes, of course I screamed my head off and jumped around.

Meanwhile, the small spider whose web I've broken with either a stick or my face every day for the past couple of weeks had built its web in a sort of arch this afternoon, so I could pass through without problems, and the ones down the end of the garden by the house had similarly moved the fuck over so that we can walk along the path without getting a face-full.
                                              There's a mutual respect growing here that could form the foundations of a lasting friendship.

They should take the next step by starting to weave inspirational messages like "Some Punk" into their webs.

Comment

Just call me Snow White.

I do talk to them: “look, I’m sorry, but you’ve got all day to build your web, and I need to get past”.

One web was so strong, I swear it made me bounce back a bit.

Comment

I can picture the spiders planning meeting now. "Okay, so Web 3.0 wasn't strong enough. We need to upgrade to a higher tensile strength and try again. I know this is a lot of effort lads, but remember, if we pull this off we will eat like kings!"

Comment

The people staying in the caravan this week may have wondered why I came walking slowly down the path gingerly waving a cucumber. I must have looked like a Druid or something.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X