X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you've given her wise counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Convenience stores, like supermarkets, are usually a regional thing. 711 probably has the largest range, but there aren’t many in Pennsylvania, for example.
      How about other large countries? Do Australia and Canada, for example, have dominating nationwide supermarkets (such as Mercadona in Spain)?

Comment

On kid friendly restaurants I've just had to whatsapp my offspring to remember the name XERTS. This was a Pizza Planet style sci-fi themed place in Sydney with booths and on-screen ordering. It was only open between 2000 and 2003 when my youngest was 6-9 years old. She's just said "it returns to my mind semi frequently. For a child in the early 2000s it was Peak Experience"

I'm pretty sure the food must have been terrible.

Comment

Loblaws and Sobey's are national in Canada, though they sometimes operate under different names in given regions. There are also a number of regional chains.

There are no truly national supermarket chains in the US.

Comment

Anyone know what this is called and where I might buy some?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

How about other large countries? Do Australia and Canada, for example, have dominating nationwide supermarkets (such as Mercadona in Spain)?
              Coles and Woolworths in Australia, with Aldi catching up.

Comment

That looks like an alligator clip with a hook, of the kind used with curtains

Like these
                https://www.amazon.com/Super-Outlet-.../dp/B011PHCRU2

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post
                  Anyone know what this is called and where I might buy some?

Is it a curtain clip?

Comment

Great minds

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      That looks like an alligator clip with a hook, of the kind used with curtains

Like these
                      https://www.amazon.com/Super-Outlet-.../dp/B011PHCRU2
                      That's them. We have little ornamental weights that clip onto the tablecloth on the table in the back yard to stop the tablecloth blowing up, but they've gone all rusty so one of my 'unemployed' jobs is to find replacements. Thank you.

Now I've got the correct term, I've found them on ebay.
                      Last edited by willie1foot; 16-09-2020, 04:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                        My mother was being so good about not going out unnecessarily and she's been attending her church services online, but today she told me that she's almost ready to take her chances with the virus. She has rheumatoid arthritis and is 82 years old. My nephew and his wife have been going on like nothing was happening for a while now, but their daughter will be a year old this month and they're doing a "dedication" at their church and my mom doesn't want to be left out, so she's thinking of going. I reminded her that it wouldn't be a quick death and that having a tube shoved down my throat is not on my bucket list. She agreed, and she generally uses good common sense, but I think my nephew and his wife are just being assholes. And it's the wife's family who seem to be the ones who don't give a fuck about the virus. They're the ones who keep having big gatherings that I see in photos on FB.

But, whatever. It's ultimately her life, her choice.
                        Sorry to hear this FF. My mum is increasingly stir crazy too - mixed in with fears of the virus, such that she starts making elaborate plans to do things, telling me that she is fed up with the situation, and then getting scared at the last minute and cancelling (and then getting paranoid that she is letting people down and basically asking me and my brother for permission to cancel the plans - which we are obviously happy to give her)

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                          My mother was being so good about not going out unnecessarily and she's been attending her church services online, but today she told me that she's almost ready to take her chances with the virus. She has rheumatoid arthritis and is 82 years old. My nephew and his wife have been going on like nothing was happening for a while now, but their daughter will be a year old this month and they're doing a "dedication" at their church and my mom doesn't want to be left out, so she's thinking of going. I reminded her that it wouldn't be a quick death and that having a tube shoved down my throat is not on my bucket list. She agreed, and she generally uses good common sense, but I think my nephew and his wife are just being assholes. And it's the wife's family who seem to be the ones who don't give a fuck about the virus. They're the ones who keep having big gatherings that I see in photos on FB.

But, whatever. It's ultimately her life, her choice.
                          I completely get how you feel about this. I myself try to be super careful. But the sane scientific and medical prognoses are that we are really only in the relatively early stages of the pandemic. For reasons expressed very coherently and convincingly by posters here any all-curing vaccine is pretty far off and the accompanying logistical problems in getting this vaccine to the general public is similarly clouded in uncertainty. With this in mind, the older you are, the more the sands of time etc...the more you might think fuck this for a game of soldiers; I'm not going to spend my remaining years cooped up waiting for the inevitable day.

Comment

I concur. We've been into Vancouver (30km) maybe three times since March, otherwise nowhere beyond the local stores and restaurants. We thought we go to the West Coast of Vancouver Island for a few days next month, but last week Transport Canada reintroduced a ban on staying in your car on ferries. So everyone has to be on the passenger decks. Now we're having second thoughts.

Comment

Coles and Woolworths in Australia, with Aldi catching up.
                              And IGA, which I think is a franchise setup.

Comment

That's them. We have little ornamental weights that clip onto the tablecloth on the table in the back yard to stop the tablecloth blowing up, but they've gone all rusty so one of my 'unemployed' jobs is to find replacements. Thank you.

Now I've got the correct term, I've found them on ebay.
                                Can you send me the link Willie? We had four but one has gone missing!

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Whole, or sliced?
                                  Depends how lazy I'm feeling. Yesterday they were whole.

Comment

I wonder if a lot of the old people obstinacy comes from the feeling that your clock is quickly running down and you're stuck indoors waiting for....what?

My in laws had to come home from Florida early, won't be going down next year for sure, and may not be down the year after that if the US doesn't get its shit together. If you already feel that you don't have too many good years left, that could really do a job on your psyche.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Depends how lazy I'm feeling. Yesterday they were whole.
                                      Maybe consider tuliping them for a tasty addition....

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Loblaws and Sobey's are national in Canada.
                                        We're a Loblaws household, but we shop at their discount arm, No Frills. They also have Real Canadian Superstore, which is good and Zehrs which is the more posh end of things. They call themselves something different out west, but I can't remember what it is. All of them carry President's Choice products, which are 'own brand' but always really good quality for relatively cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          I wonder if a lot of the old people obstinacy comes from the feeling that your clock is quickly running down and you're stuck indoors waiting for....what?

My in laws had to come home from Florida early, won't be going down next year for sure, and may not be down the year after that if the US doesn't get its shit together. If you already feel that you don't have too many good years left, that could really do a job on your psyche.
                                          I suggested just this upthread and understand completely.

Comment

For some reason I can now hear Kenneth Williams saying "Ooh Matron, I've just tuliped my grapes!" although I have no idea what it would mean.

Comment

You don't even have a president, do you WOM?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                I suggested just this upthread and understand completely.
                                                Ah, sorry Sporting. Missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Maybe consider tuliping them for a tasty addition....
                                                  I have no idea what this sentence means...

Comment

Is it like when people make tomatoes look like flowers?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X