• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    Just made pizza bread...

Willing to trade, HMU.

Comment

Christ, just see a couple of hundred people on the Qanon march going from Westminster to Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
        Christ, just see a couple of hundred people on the Qanon march going from Westminster to Victoria

Oh, no! Don't tell me that we've got those headcases over here, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Oh, no! Don't tell me that we've got those headcases over here, too!

To which the answer appears very much to be yes: https://www.newsguardtech.com/special-report-qanon/

Comment

Did the UK ever have a Satanic child abuse panic?

I don't recall having heard of one

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Did the UK ever have a Satanic child abuse panic?

I don't recall having heard of one

Yes, it certainly did. Not sure when exactly - 20 years ago perhaps. I seem to recall one "case" up in the Shetlands or Orkneys (possibly the Western Isles) and another in Yorkshire/Lancashire. I'll see what I can dig out.

Comment

Oh yes, it was in pretty much every Private Eye for a very long time (criticising the panic not supporting it) but that seemed to be an institutional thing not really a public one.

Comment

United Kingdom[edit]

There have been a number of cases in the United Kingdom in which SRA has been alleged. Some of these cases have garnered significant media attention, and they are listed below.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children documented allegations of ritual abuse in 1990, with the publication of survey findings that, of 66 child protection teams in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 14 teams had received reports of ritual abuse from children and seven of them were working directly with children who had been ritually abused, sometimes in groups of 20.[55] An investigation into SRA allegations by the British government produced over two hundred reports, of which only three were substantiated and proved to be examples of pseudosatanic, in which sexual abuse was the actual motivation and the rituals were incidental.[56][57]
                  Cleveland[edit]

Main article: Cleveland child abuse scandal
                  The Cleveland child abuse scandal featured allegations of satanic ritual abuse.[58]
                  Rochdale[edit]

In 1990 there was a case in Rochdale in which around twenty children were removed from their homes by social services, who alleged the existence of SRA after discovering 'Satanic indicators'. No evidence was found of Satanic apparatus, and charges were dismissed when a court ruled the allegations were untrue. The children who were removed from their homes sued the city council in 2006 for compensation and an apology. Richard Scorer acted for five of the families.[59]
                  Orkney[edit]

Main article: South Ronaldsay child abuse scandal
                  In 1990-1991 nine children suspected of being sexually abused by their families and an alleged child abuse ring were removed by social services in Orkney. The abuse was also alleged to involve "ritualistic elements".[60] The parents approached the media and made the case national and international news. In April 1991, a sheriff ruled that the evidence was seriously flawed and the children were returned home.[60]

In June, social services appealed the sheriff's ruling[61] but the appeal was overturned and an official inquiry was established in August 1991, which after 9 months' investigation at a cost of ?6 million, published its report in October 1992. It described the dismissal of the first judgment as "most unfortunate" and criticized all those involved, including the social workers, the police, and the Orkney Islands Council. Social workers' training, methods, and judgment were given special condemnation, and the report stated that the concept of "ritual abuse" was "not only unwarrantable at present but may affect the objectivity of practitioners and parents".[62][63] A 1994 government report based on three years of research found that there was no foundation to any of the Satanic abuse claims.[60]
                  Broxtowe[edit]

In October 1987 children were removed from their families in Nottingham, and in February 1989 a Broxtowe family was charged with multigenerational child sexual abuse and neglect. A 600-page report on the incident concluded that there was no evidence of the SRA claims made by children or corroborating adults. Though the children may have been 'sadistically terrorized', allegations of organized Satanic abuse were found to be baseless and the indicators used by the Social Services department were without validity.[64]
                  Lewis[edit]

In 2003 allegations by three children in Lewis, Scotland resulted in the arrest of eight people for sexual abuse occurring between 1990 and 2000. A 2005 investigation by the Social Work Inspection Agency found extensive evidence of sexual, physical and emotional abuse and neglect.[65] Police investigation resulted in allegations of an island-wide "Satanic paedophile ring",[65][66] though charges were dropped nine months later following an inconclusive investigation.[65][66]

A key witness who had implicated her family in the abuse and whose evidence was "vital" to the case of satanic abuse recanted her testimony in 2006[66][67] and the media raised questions about the nature of the police interviewing techniques.[66][67] with a police spokesperson replying that the witness was questioned appropriately and that allegations were made by numerous witnesses.[67]
                  Kidwelly[edit]

Main article: Kidwelly sex cult
                  In March 2011, four adults who lived in a cul-de-sac in the Welsh town of Kidwelly were convicted of multiple sex offences against children and young adults. The group led by Colin Batley was described by the media as a "Satanic sex cult", a "quasi-religious sex cult" and a "paedophile cult"[68][69] however the group members were not followers of Satanism.[citation needed] The prosecution said they practised "free sex" and were influenced by Aleister Crowley, a practitioner of ceremonial magic who founded the belief system of Thelema. They dressed in hoods and read from Crowley's The Book of the Law, the central text of Thelema and some victims were made to wear inverted crosses.[70] Members of the cult were initiated in a ceremony involving sex with an adult, and they were threatened with being killed if they did not take part in the ceremony. Some of the victims were forced into prostitution.[71]

Comment

The big one was Cleveland, that was huge news. That's a really miserable list.

I don't understand the pizza bread, it doesn't seem to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

To which the answer appears very much to be yes: https://www.newsguardtech.com/special-report-qanon/
                      Jesus H Christ. All of that is depressing reading, but at least it validates my long-held belief that Robbie Williams is a cunt.

Comment

Beatrix Campbell, a journalist who wrote for Marxism Today, was convinced of the veracity of the charges. I kept an open mind, although Cleveland seems to be a case of an obsessed medic who couldn’t look at a bottom without seeing abuse.

Comment

Oh, just looked up Bea Campbell and she’s a transphobe now. With an MBE or something.

Comment

Went for a longer bike ride around the local roads today, getting to know them. Got lost a few times. Found a very Trumpy road full of All Lives Matter stuff and Vote Republican yard signs - it felt very out of place.

Very glad I got home when I did because we just had a short but very intense thunder shower which would have sucked balls on a bike.

Comment

Depressingly it seems from that list that the only genuine satanic paedo sex cult was based in Wales.

Comment

I was about to celebrate the fact I managed to get stroopwafels, quality nougat and my favourite brand of sweet potato crisps on this morning’s shop run. Then read all that depressing stuff and don’t feel so celebratory.

Comment

Well, OK, to lighten the mood I bought some vintage Lego in a chazzer today. If you remember these then you're old like me.

Comment

Those are fab, PT. As a child I found the hair pieces particularly fascinating for some reason. Then my brother and I had a big castle set and some space bits when the change to mini figures happened.

Comment

I had to spend a week studying the satanic abuse allegations and moral panics as part of my social anthropology degree. It chimed with all my English GCSE work on the witches in Salem. One of my final university exam questions was "Do witches really exist?"

Comment

I'm excited. I'm meeting a friend for a drink later and it is cool enough to wear a jacket. And long trousers!

Comment

We had to wear our Kathmandu coats for this evening’s dog walk, and it’s officially Spring in just over a week.

WOM will be pleased to know I also wore my rip-off Blundstones.

As I know there are coat afficianados here, this is mine (the black one):

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            I'm excited. I'm meeting a friend for a drink later and it is cool enough to wear a jacket. And long trousers!
                                            I'm physically incapable of going out without wearing a jacket of some type, no matter how warm it is .

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Glad it's not just me. Looks nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I'm physically incapable of going out without wearing a jacket of some type, no matter how warm it is .
                                                Whereas I almost never, unless it's raining and I'm going to be outside a lot.

Comment

I only wear a jacket October to March (unless it's unseasonably warm). The rest of the time it's shirt/sweater and man-bag.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                    Don't over think it. I was going to make cheese and jalapeno bread, but the chillies were a bit grotty so I mixed some tomato puree with garlic Oil and Italian herbs, spread that over the rolled out dough and covered it in chorizo and grated Cheese, then rolled it up.
                                                    I could just of easily whacked some pesto in there, or something. Sort of like a savoury Babka.

Tasted bloody great, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X