No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's the one-year anniversary of my father-in-law's death. As per the family tradition we'll be eating some of the person's favourite food (sausage, rye bread and pistachios), toasting him with a vodka and reminiscing.

Comment

Have just realised that the crumpets I bought last night were in fact muffins.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Sorry to hear that, Sits. I hope that things pick up soon.
        Thanks NS, I’m just whingeing. Almost everyone is struggling on and off.

And that’s a raw anniversary, hope Mrs. NS is OK.

Comment

[QUOTE=pebblethefish;n2323114]Have just realised that the crumpets I bought last night were in fact muffins

I just googled the two things and it seems that, net-wise, muffins are commonly known as English muffins. Much like the English Channel (OTF Zoom reference). Are there other kinds of muffins?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Are there other kinds of muffins?
            The mule?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
              Have just realised that the crumpets I bought last night were in fact muffins.
              Better not mention pikelets then.

Comment

Pikelets aren't a thing.

Comment

I was just pissed and picked up some round things from the bread section.

Comment

“English” muffins are just as good as crumpets and may be prepared in the same way. As long as the butter and condiment of choice have melted right through to the plate, you can’t go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      Pikelets aren't a thing.

Comment

I've no idea what they are. They don't look like the same things that are sometimes sold under that description here.

Comment

But then tbh after your wild claim about muffins, I'm very wary of any further claims you might make.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sporting;n2323116]
                            Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                            Are there other kinds of muffins?
                            Yes - the little round cupcake things with the paper cup around the bottom.

Comment

So pikelets are just pancakes?

Comment

Yes, in Australia little thick pancakes are sold as pikelets. Don’t ask me why. A pikelet ought to be a juvenile freshwater fish, and nothing else.

TonTon you’re not keen on a nice muffin, toasted with butter and jam?

All this joshing on baked goods has perked me right up.

Comment

Crumpets are not English Muffins

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-...rumpets-113577

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

They look suspiciously like teacakes.

Comment

Thanks NS, I’m just whingeing. Almost everyone is struggling on and off.

And that’s a raw anniversary, hope Mrs. NS is OK.

Thanks, Sits. She seems fine at the moment. A scheduled midnight call with her family (they're on the Canadian prairies) might prove to be rather emotional.

Comment

During my second year at Stoke Poly there was an oatcake / Pikelet shop a few doors down. I tried them once and they were OK.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

The mule?

"And on tonight's show, Muffin the Mule, and what to do if you get caught."

(Rather risque for The Two Ronnies, I thought.)

Comment

TonTon you’re not keen on a nice muffin, toasted with butter and jam?
                                            I'm not against. But a crumpet is a very different thing, and its loveliness cannot be substituted for with a muffin.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Oh I know. I was just saying that I would enjoy both prepared in the same way.

Comment

Pikelets* are like ill-formed anarchic libertarian crumpets.

(* at least the ones from Staffordshire seem to be, though clearly there is something different in Australia)

Comment

I like muffins, pikelets, crumpets, scones. In fact, there aren't many baked morning goods I would kick out of bed.

My breakfast was somewhat ruined by my forgetting to buy margarine for my toast, and overboiling my egg. However, I have the leftover apple pie and custard to look forward to this afternoon.

My tinnitus is back with a vengeance so I'm trying to get through to my doctor. It is way more pronounced in the ear that still feels blocked, and irrigating it gives short-lived relief, things which suggest that it's fixable.

I paid my outstanding tax bill of 100 quid and feel somewhat relieved. I was worried there would be interest and odd charges.

Milly has just killed and eaten a grasshopper, after a spirited chase around the garden. I wish she was as good at catching mosquitos and clothes moths.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                                    overboiling my egg
                                                    Hard boiled eggs are the best.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X