X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
      We had loads of rhubarb, in the garden and on the allotment, when I was a kid. My parents made rhubarb crumble which was lovely because rhubarb is really tart so it's not hideously sweet like apple crumble. Also my mum called the woman round the corner 'Rhubarb Features'.
      Rhubarb pie is a thing, I'm told. I haven't tried it.

Comment

Rhubarb is the best fruit ever.

Comment

There is nothing more joy-inducing than watching some self-important, besuited bellend bellowing "WAIT!" at a train which is already leaving.

Before anyone says, no, it wasn't me. I was safely installed on the train, laughing. If only the Germans had a word for schadenfreude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Objectively untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I used to live near Quince Orchard Rd in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I don't know if I've ever seen a quince, however
              I'd take a photo but they're outside and it's dark now and I'm leaving at 4am (when the dark situation won't have improved). I'd offer to take one when I get home on Monday but obviously I'll forget. They look like large misshapen pears

Comment

Objectively untrue.

Rhubarb is very good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Is it a fruit? I thought the pie was made with the big leafy bits, no?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I'd take a photo but they're outside and it's dark now and I'm leaving at 4am (when the dark situation won't have improved). I'd offer to take one when I get home on Monday but obviously I'll forget. They look like large misshapen pears
                    That's right. I'd forgotten, but I have seen pictures.

I believe the eponymous orchard on Quince Orchard Road is not there anymore. It's parking lots and big box stores and townhouses.

Comment

Is it a fruit? I thought the pie was made with the big leafy bits, no?
                      The stalks. The leaves are poisonous I believe.

Comment

That makes sense as an evolutionary strategy.

Comment

Some quinces

Comment

Those are quite yellow. They are often more greenish. One really doesn't see them much around here.

Comment

Yeah rhubarb leaves are toxic. You eat the fleshy stems. They are a bit like celery in shape but firmer and not usually as stringy.

Comment

If you're boiling rhubarb don't use aluminium saucepans.The acid in the plant dissolves the metal and you'll have metallic tasting fruit and, a few decades down the line, a good base for dementia.

The upside is shiny pots.

Comment

Comment

We have a monstrous rhubarb plant in the back corner of our garden. L uses the stalks for jams and crumbles, and the cat uses it to hide under when we're trying to find him at night.

Comment

Rhubarb pie is a thing, I'm told. I haven't tried it.
                                      Strawberry/rhubarb or bumbleberry pie is the best use, IMHO.

Comment

I've never got Strawberry/Rhubarb. Two gorgeous fruits that are half as good when used in combination

Comment

Comment

My flatmate has brought a touch of 70s glamour to the gaff. I just can't....

Comment

A power bar...right next to a power bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                I've never got Strawberry/Rhubarb. Two gorgeous fruits that are half as good when used in combination
                                                Blasphemer!

Comment

I assume it's because there needs to be something sweet to offset the tart other than just a mountain of sugar.

Comment

True, but you sacrifice the essential character of both fruits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X