No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. I think we’ll work on another name.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      That's gold. When we had our first cottage when I was maybe 6 or 7, we'd tromp a mile into the forest to jump up and down on the roof of an abandoned 1940s pickup truck.
      Talking of old car wrecks as play equipment (as we were several pages back.) I came across this today. I'd guess about 1952–3. Lord knows what the car once was. Definitely a three-wheeler though.

Comment

Ugh. I'm out of everything, food, snacks, water, tea--everything except pet food and coffee. I have to decide to go to the store tonight or wait and go tomorrow. Pros of going tonight: wouldn't have to go tomorrow. Cons of going tonight: I have a headache. On balance, I think I should suck it up and go tonight. Very mundane.

Comment

Probably best to go now. Less crowded.

Comment

I went, so now I can relax tomorrow and not worry about it. Unfortunately, I think I'll be working on Monday, so I want to make sure I do as little as possible yesterday (since I also worked until right before the Zoom call this afternoon). I don't know why this happens around these holidays. They just seem to coincide with meetings of upper management that require powerpoint presentations and charts (both of which my boss is incapable of doing without me).

Comment

Last night, a bird dropped an egg on my thigh.

I was standing outside the hut having a fag after shutting up shop and a crow flew overhead. It had probably nicked the egg out of another bird's nest and didn't have it in its beak properly.

Right mess it was and all. After scrubbing it off, I looked like I'd pissed myself.

Comment

I'm not a mathematician, but surely the size of your legs means that on any given day it is more noteworthy if a bird doesn't drop an egg on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  I'm not a mathematician, but surely the size of your legs means that on any given day it is more noteworthy if a bird doesn't drop an egg on them?
                  You've not factored in the umbrella effect of my absolutely fucking massive shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                    Right mess it was and all. After scrubbing it off, I looked like I'd pissed myself.
                    There’s no need for such elaborate cover stories, bro.

Comment

On the truly mundane, I have to go over to the old flat and pack up the miscellaneous crap plus a few things I really need, today. I anticipate at least six Uber trips (3 times each way). Cleaners are coming tomorrow.

I’ve still got no food in new place and just used the last of the milk in a cup of tea. I don’t seem to have any clean sensible everyday clothes here, either.

I stuck some books on shelves here last night so it’s less crammed, not wasting energy on arranging them but it’s gratifying to see how much space there is here. I am going to bring over my small square coffee table.

Comment

Buoyed by my brief visit to the Zoom-a-thon I hoovered all the floors, did some laundry, walked the dog, put the bins out and cooked the dinner today. I was almost literally on fire, for a fleeting moment. Now back slouched in front of the TV with the iPad. Best not to overdo it.

Comment

I overdid it, and now I'm all sore shoulders and neck.
                          See, the garage door is the original, which means it's the bone-stock 50 year old beaten-to-shit metal one that the builders installed. It needs replacing, but that's $1500 to $2000.
                          So I'm going to build a board and batten gate-style replacement instead. Hit the lumber mill yesterday morning for the boards ($1.04 linear foot, wood fans!) and I have the hinge and brace kits.
                          I'm doing as much measuring, jerry-rigging and cutting as I can with the old door still in place, so that when I yank the old one off its tracks, I can get the new one built in place on the same day. Otherwise the garage - and all that sail in her - are exposed to the street.
                          I think next Saturday is going to be 'go' day.

Comment

Bone stock?

And I didn’t know you sailed, as well as whizzing around the lake on your Flea.

Comment

Oh, is that a sailing term?

Comment

I overdid it, and now I'm all sore shoulders and neck.
                                Tell me about it. My back really hurts and my shoulders are inflamed.

This move should shift some weight that I've been gaining since I quit the gym in November, I hope. I tried on a regular tshirt earlier, and it was really tight. Eek.

Comment

Sorry....'duh' moment, there. No, I don't sail.

But 'bone stock'....just cheap old sheet metal; no window, no insulation, lock hasn't work since we moved in 21 years ago. Our bedroom is right above the garage, so the door being uninsulated means the garage is extra cold, which means our bedroom floors are always cold in the winter.

I'll take pictures on building day. Mark your calendars.

Comment

No, nothing to do with the bone stock. But you said there was a load of sail in the garage.

if treibeis was here I’m sure he would understand.

Comment

I’ve just realised how badly I misread your post. “All that sail in her”.

Comment

Wood is priced by the "linear foot"? As opposed to the chronological foot or the weight foot?

Comment

Or, y'know, square foot.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Wood is priced by the "linear foot"? As opposed to the chronological foot or the weight foot?
                                            Ahahha. No, as opposed to the square foot. 'Board foot' is also used.

[Beaten again...]

Comment

Anyway, I'd always heard about this lumber yard but had never been. Basically, you drive around the place, load up your truck with whatever catches your eye, and then stop at the house on the way out to settle up. And they have everything, stacked neatly in piles spread over god knows how many acres.

Comment

How Canadian.

Comment

I was chatting with Mrs. NS and Master NS yesterday evening and, somehow, we got on to the subject of rubbish bosses. I mentioned a guy who was my manager many, many years ago and who is, quite possibly, the only person that I would say that I thoroughly dislike. My main reason for that it that, for no obvious reason, he forced two decent, capable people and friends of mine to leave the company and possibly wrecked their careers in the process. He certainly wrecked their self-confidence. He also tried to force me out, though without success, and once communicated with me by scribbling something on a piece of paper, screwing it up into a ball and throwing it onto my desk as he walked past me. He sucked up to his superiors and was usually to be found on a fag break. A lazy, oily coward would be a fair summation of his character. TBF it was well recognised. When he left the department his leaving card went past about 30 pairs of eyes before the first person signed it and that comment was: "Fuck off ***** - no-one likes you."

Anyway, he went on to become a journalist who's written for some of the big nationals, though you'll almost certainly not know his name . But, after hearing my stories about the man, my son Googled his name and found a story that he's written a few years ago in which he talked off all the physical abuse he'd suffered at the hands of his father when he was a young boy.

My ill feeling towards him has lessened very sightly.
                                                  Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 24-05-2020, 16:13.

Comment

I feel sick. So the planned clearing will not go ahead. I have to make one journey to pick up some essential stuff I left behind, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X