No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. SB is letting off the school too easily here.

If the Stepford Parents want to organise their own cosplay on Mumsnet or the like, they can, but having the school distribute the nonsense gives it the institution's imprimatur and is a complete dereliction of their duty.

Comment

Yesterday I had my eight-weekly eye appointment which meant I had to walk the mile and a bit home from the station - can’t drive with a dilated pupil,and post-injection eye. As it was a warm (hot) evening I decided to buy an ice cream. This would, after all provide me with some cooling enjoyment, and my Mundaner friends with some important ice cream updates.

With slightly fuzzy vision I peered into the freezer cabinet. The Magnums (Magna?) lay their alluringly, tempting me with their siren song. But I had to look away; an ice cream on a stick is too hazardous to eat while striding purposefully on a hot day. No, I needed something safe and contained. Of course! A Cornetto! It had been a few years, and after almost buying something called a Drumstick by accident, I located the Cornettos. There wasn’t a lot of choice so Classic Vanilla it was. $3.50, which is just under £2.

It was, in all honestly sorely disappointing. Feebly flavoured, just a slightly sweet ice cream with no noticeable hint of vanilla. I’m not sure it provided any refreshment, and any cooling effect there may have been was more than offset in the circumstances. I even managed to drip some on my suit sleeve. Should have risked a Magnum after all.

Comment

Has the Solero not reached Australia?

Comment

I got cross at Tonka this morning and I swore at him. He reacted to a big dog across the street and if he hadn’t been securely attached a leash that was securely attached to my arm, he would have run across the road and tried to wrestle that dog and it would have been a disaster. I had to yank him out of the street.

This is not new and we are going to train him not to do that, but I’m just so frustrated with life right now because of work that I snapped. I late apologized to him and cried about it. He’s fine.

I’m just depressed right now and it’s a struggle.

Comment

I'm rarely disappointed by a Cornetto, except that I always wish that I had a Cornetto Soft instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              I got cross at Tonka this morning and I swore at him. He reacted to a big dog across the street and if he hadn’t been securely attached a leash that was securely attached to my arm, he would have run across the road and tried to wrestle that dog and it would have been a disaster. I had to yank him out of the street.

This is not new and we are going to train him not to do that, but I’m just so frustrated with life right now because of work that I snapped. I late apologized to him and cried about it. He’s fine.

I’m just depressed right now and it’s a struggle.
              Don't beat yourself up. He's a good dog and you're a good dad. He's forgiven you already.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Yesterday I had my eight-weekly eye appointment which meant I had to walk the mile and a bit home from the station with a dilated pupil,and post-injection eye.
                And if you make it alive, you pass?

Comment

Does anyone besides me know or care who Peter Nygard is? If so, google for his latest exploits. Basically, he's a really rich Canadian fashion douche - colossal asshole it should be noted - who's been feuding with his equally rich neighbour in the Bahamas over his loud 2000+ attendee Bunga Bunga parties and his shoddy treatment of the natural environment.

Anyway, it's good reading.

Comment

Another upstanding citizen connected to Prince Andrew, as it so happens

Comment

Didn't know that, but no surprise. He's had 'women issues' a number of times over the years. No hints of Epsteinism, but enough smoke to indicate there's fire.

Comment

HP, what WOM said. You and Tonka, the mutual love is obvious. We're always here as backup.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

And if you make it alive, you pass?
                          Heh, feels like that sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                            Has the Solero not reached Australia?
                            Quite possibly and we have Callipos (or Calippos) too, but in either case I'd have been concerned about dribblage.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                              I hate when anyone tries to make me commit to an event that's more than a month off. I don't know what I'll feel up to tomorrow, never mind next year. If the great meteor hasn't struck by then.
                              Mrs P has a two year rolling calendar. It's got estimated market dates, bank holidays, sports tournaments and God knows what else in there (I texted her potential NHL opening dates for next season as we might go to Prague to see the Bruins).

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Quite possibly and we have Callipos (or Calippos) too, but in either case I'd have been concerned about dribblage.

Must bite tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Do these maniacs know that some people actually have to work for a living and can't automatically up sticks for a day to have a picnic? That's before we get into the question of the actual existence of the day in question.
                                  It's like 1950s suburbia. The general assumption is that there's a wife at home who can do all these things.

The one I haven't quite figured out is the mum who I know works nights at the local hospital, yet is always at the school volunteering during the day and running all the PTA meetings and events. There is literally no actual time remaining for her to sleep. She must be a vampire. I'm too scared to ask.

Comment

In the 50s here, it was most often speed labelled as diet pills

Comment

My mum claims that she was prescribed speed in the late 50s/early 60s because she kept falling asleep in lectures.

Comment

Balders' school stories do make sense if all the other parents and the teachers are on drugs.

The wreath making workshop sounds great. Then you get to decide whose coffin it goes on, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Don't beat yourself up. He's a good dog and you're a good dad. He's forgiven you already.
                                          Yeah, he's fine. I didn't hurt him or anything, which is very important. I'm looking forward to doing the training with him. For his safety, if nothing else, we really need to do it.

It's expensive and we're going to use an electronic collar thing, which I'm a bit nervous about, but trust it will not be painful. A friend of mine has used that with his dog and it's worked well. They're just a bit spendy.

Instagram has actually been very helpful in this regard. I follow a lot of dog accounts and have found a whole world of people who work patiently with "reactive" dogs, including many who are much more anxious than Tonka, and some that can be even aggressive or dangerous - usually rescued dogs that were abused or trained to be that way. If those dogs can learn to be calm and "make good decisions," then Tonka certainly can. He's fine with dogs he knows when he's in a place he's comfortable. The trainer we met last week said he will be much easier to teach than some of the others she's had success with.

I've had a number of moments over the last year or so where I find myself getting impatient with him on walks, and then I almost immediately realize that I'm being stupid and he's the one doing it right. Animals are very good about staying present in the moment. I am not. So it's very helpful to have someone remind me of that. We should all stop to sniff every tree, so to speak.

I suppose kids can do that too if one is attuned to it. Of course, sometimes you do have to tell the kids "No, we can't stop to watch the squirrel/look at the flowers/pet the doggy, because we're very late." But, in the grand scheme of things, life is about stopping to look at the flowers etc. and we need to be reminded of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Mrs P has a two year rolling calendar. It's got estimated market dates, bank holidays, sports tournaments and God knows what else in there (I texted her potential NHL opening dates for next season as we might go to Prague to see the Bruins).
                                            For something like that I would be willing to plan ahead.

Comment

Hot Pepsi I know how you feel. The wife of the couple across the hall is apparently leaving her husband, so they have been moving her stuff out since yesterday morning. Occasionally, they've bumped into my door, and Teddy thinks somebody is trying to break in and murder us. He lets out that shrill ear-piercing bark that only small dogs can do, but he's not that kind of dog. Or he wasn't, until the barky Yorkies moved in down the hall. Now he hears them barking all the time and sometimes he reacts to them.

When he was going into the office with me, nothing would make him bark like that--not even the old guy in the office next to mine who was loud and constantly causing the wooden coat hanger on the back of his door to bang against it.

We have trained for this. Most days if he barks like that, I say, "Good boy. Indoor voice" and I know you're all laughing at how nutty this sounds, but I swear to you, he switches to a very quiet muffled sounding bark when I tell him that. He's very smart, as dogs go.

I always worry that I'm going to be on a call with someone at work when he barks. Most people are aware that I work from home, but occasionally I have to be on phone calls with people who are very high up the food chain, and although they probably wouldn't care, my boss would mind.

Anyway, long story short (too late) I yelled at him today and I feel bad. He was just being a dog, doing what dogs do. I don't believe it's good to try to suppress things that come naturally to dogs because eventually it can break their spirit and make them neurotic or depressed. They don't bark to annoy us, they do it to warn, and he has no way of discerning actual from perceived danger. I actually had a dream the other night that he barked like that and a man had broken in and was in our living room.

So we can beat ourselves up together. We're human, we will make mistakes. Our dogs will forgive us because they love us more than they love themselves.

Comment

Sorry about your neighbors. That must be stressful for them, at least.

Yeah, Tonka also barks at things worth barking at and he doesn’t go on and on about it. He just does it to warn me somebody is at the door. But if they come in, he’s very friendly and doesn’t continue to bark.

I may be able to train him to stop doing that once I acknowledge his warning.

He doesn’t bark at other dogs when we’re outside. He just doesn’t want to turn his back on them and/or wants to go confront them. He sometimes growls, but mostly he just starts breathing faster and gets nervous.

He has occasionally growled at somebody for no apparent reason. I think it might have something to do with certain bright colors or patterns. He once barked at my dad and was very concerned about him all of a sudden and the only reason we could guess was because he had a yellow tie on.

He’s barked at the mailman etc when I’m on calls but that’s not so bad. The one time I had to run part of a webinar, I went to a friend’s house. But he’s friends with our mailman and thinks all postal workers are his friends. On our walks, he ignores most there are some people who he wants to approach, and usually those are dog people who want to pet him. Perhaps because they smell like dog.

Comment

The dog sight angle is interesting. We know that they don't see the same way we do, and as they age, their eyesight gets worse the same way ours does. Teddy used to bark and growl at anything that looked like a white blob. It could be a full trash bag on the sidewalk in the city or a Great Pyrenees dog on the other side of the dog park. Big white blobs are his arch enemy. But when he gets close enough to see what it, he's fine with it. I think they mostly react to things that can't immediately identify and put into a category (friend, foe or neutral).

Comment

Tonka is very concerned about statues of people or animals. I guess the disconnect between what it looks like and what it smells like throws him off and he doesn’t know what to think about it.

The church across the street does an almost life size nativity scene. He barks at that. He also barked at the Nittany Lion statue when we walked up to that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X