Churchill said everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Churchill said everything

Reading the previews before the rugby world cup (starts this - sic - weekend), I saw the famous old quote being trotted out: "Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen, whereas football ..." etc. And attributed to Winston Churchill. Who very probably didn't coin it.

But anything in English that wasn't written down - and even some things that were - gets put in his mouth. And end up on inspirational posters, bumper stickers, cafe blackboards, politician's newsletters. Somewhere on the internet he will be saying "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" and "Include me out" and maybe even "Nice to see you, to see you nice!".

I'm not bothered about Churchill here, you can weigh up his crimes and achievements if you want, but that's not really the point. It's the death by wiki, the reduction of everything to one source, the elimination of originality or curiosity about writers you might not have heard of, along with a conviction that it sounds smart. In online "debates", quoting Churchill (wrongly) is the pseudo version of 'End of'. God, it pisses me off.

Can't people just try and quote somebody else? As Churchill said, "it's not rocket science".

He also said "Ohhhhh yes".

Comment

"Any attributed quote on the internet is probably made up" - Mahatma Ghandi.

Comment

A lie can get half way around the world before the truth has time to put his boots on (not Mark Twain)

Comment

Ages ago I worked for a motivational speaker who told several stories in his presentations. One of them in particular didn't ring true. I checked Snopes and it was listed as dubious. The story was about a performer who was still alive so I found his agent and emailed them. They confirmed the story was not true (and that they got several enquiries about it).

It seems like people don't even wait until a person is dead before attributing stories and quotes to them.

Comment

Please say it isn't Laurence Olivier and Edward Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              Can't people just try and quote somebody else? As Churchill said, "it's not rocket science".
              Genuine quote: Ian Rush (when manager at Chester) - "It's not science rocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                He also said "Ohhhhh yes".
                If people don't read that in Paul Bearer's voice then they need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CBeebiesHQ/status/1173841034587062272?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

If people don't read that in Paul Bearer's voice then they need to take a long, hard look at themselves.
                    The Macho Man?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      A lie can get half way around the world before the truth has time to put his boots on (not Mark Twain)
                      "Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect." Swift, 1710, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        I know I've heard that used by a British Prime Minister, but definitely not Churchill. Edward Heath possibly?

Comment

It's used in a Terry Pratchett book, too.

Comment

Quote Investigator does research on the origin of quotes by Churchill and many others.
                            It seems that many of Churchill's quips, assuming he said them at all, were plagiarised, unsurprisingly.
                            The well known "but I shall be sober in the morning" response to the MP Bessie Braddock is a joke with a long history, previously with the protagonists calling each other a drunk and a fool, but Churchill's version has a far more misogynous tone to it.

Comment

TAB will be along later to say something.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

I know I've heard that used by a British Prime Minister, but definitely not Churchill. Edward Heath possibly?
                                Been used loads of times, earliest reference is Jonathan Swift, but there's reason to believe it was in common enough usage anyway by the time Mark Twain used it

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  "Any attributed quote on the internet is probably made up" - Mahatma Ghandi.
                                  It was Abraham Lincoln who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

The Macho Man?
                                    Nope.

Comment

"Attributing quotes correctly is not a matter of life and death. It is far more important than that." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

"I have nothing to declare but my genius" - Jade Goody.

Comment

'Your attributions are both good and original. Unfortunately the attributions which are good are not original, and the attributions which are original are not good'

Dr Boris Johnson.

Comment

"Fuck you, you fucking wanker" - William Shakespeare

Comment

Nah. That was Kit Marlowe.

Comment

Golden rule of quizzing - if a question involves a quote, it's Churchill, Twain or Wilde, and the context will generally give away which is more likely.

Comment

It's just that english conservatism is such a depressingly anti-intellectual degenerate culture, that only Winston Churchill is allowed to have said anything clever. Therefore all vaguely clever things were said by Winston Churchill.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X