No announcement yet.

The ttraaaanzzz lyffe and TTijmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm intrigued. One of my cousin's children has trans one way, and another has trans the other way. Which toilets should I avoid?

Comment

All of them. Public toilets are fucking disgusting

Comment

This should be nothing noteworthy in this anecdote. But it felt positive, so here is it.

My 11 yo son sometimes doesn't appear to listen very closely if it's not a subject he's not actively interested in, so when I tell him about the rainbow and trans pride flags painted on the pavement outside the station near where we live, it's with more hope than expectation that he'll take it all in. But, I try and chat about it a bit whenever we go past it. I was remarking on it the other week, and he goes, 'oh yeah, trans pride. You work with a trans person don't you.' I'd told him about working with a trans colleague ages ago and quite forgotten about it, but he'd somehow he stored that nugget of information.

It was great that, for him, this normal thing was just a normal thing. Pride, indeed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1617706383620857857?s=61&t=M8Tw1XCL0N7uzZ1BRxDq3g

Comment

People hate admitting that children are human beings with thoughts and feelings of their own, don't they?

This is nicer:-

https://twitter.com/socalledcharlie/status/1617561846575411201

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
              People hate admitting that children are human beings with thoughts and feelings of their own, don't they?
              I'm sure some people are like that, but overall I would disagree that this explains general confusion and uncertainty about permanent medical procedures over which parents have responsibility.

Comment

There is nothing permanent about puberty blockers, they are regularly prescribed to cis children with precocious puberty, and there is no excuse for anyone who's read this thread to be under that impression. Studies repeatedly emphasise that interventions to help trans people have some of the highest satisfaction rates around. Puberty, however, has permanent negative effects if you go through the wrong one.
                Last edited by delicatemoth; 25-01-2023, 12:08.

Comment

I was alluding to top surgery per the headline.

Comment

Again, a procedure that is performed on cis children who need it without any kind of moral panic.

All the tabled bills restricting medical procedures for trans youth specifically carve out exceptions that allow surgery on intersex infants. If people actually cared about children that's what they'd be worried about.

Thanks for clarifying your comment.

Comment

Mod note:

Posts removed. This is, as mentioned, a safe space.

If someone wants to start a thread about morals and bigotry on this issue, feel free to do so. But separate thread, not in here.

Comment

Apologies, didn't realize I was breaking a ground rule.

Comment

This seems like good news, all things considered.
                          https://www.espn.com/olympics/tracka...stricter-rules

And my understanding is that the NCAA is planning to stand-up to the Karens and keep pushing to find a way to let trans people compete.*

*Although, I suppose, so far, the issue has only been trans women. I don't think there'd be any significant opposition to trans men in men's competitions. IIRC, there are trans men in the women's hockey league (which is partly why it changed its name) and, I think, NWSL and that didn't lead to any major arguments.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 25-01-2023, 21:48.

Comment

Are teenage trans athletes going to be allowed to get the treatments that enable them to reduce their testosterone that far? And is it a plausible limit for intersex athletes and masculine females who retain the gender they were assigned at birth, e.g. Semenya, who had already refused to abide by the old requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Are teenage trans athletes going to be allowed to get the treatments that enable them to reduce their testosterone that far? And is it a plausible limit for intersex athletes and masculine females who retain the gender they were assigned at birth, e.g. Semenya, who had already refused to abide by the old requirement?
                              I'm sure there will continue to be problems.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Enoch Burke saga has descended completely into farce, with the evangelical Christian continuing to show up at the school on a daily basis, a week after his dismissal.

Comment

Enoch Burke is certainly living up to his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                    Meanwhile, the Enoch Burke saga has descended completely into farce, with the evangelical Christian continuing to show up at the school on a daily basis, a week after his dismissal.
                                    He'll keep doing it as long as the media are willing to cover him.

Comment

Yeah, INM are probably paying creepy dad's petrol at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                        He'll keep doing it as long as the media are willing to cover him.
                                        I don't get the impression that that is how he works. I think his parents have broken him on some fundamental level, and he's going to do whatever he gets fixated on. I get the impression that he would sooner die rather than back down

Comment

I've never met anyone named Enoch IRL.

Comment

'But What About The Parents?' - a response to that NYT article.

https://religiondispatches.org/but-w...s-rights-trap/

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              I've never met anyone named Enoch IRL.
                                              The Full Burke Biblical lineup

Ammi, Elijah, Enoch, Esther, Isaac, Jemima, Josiah, Keren, Kezia, and Simeon.

Reading their wikipedia page It seems that they are frequent picketers of the Castlebar Pride Parade. I must say I'm kind of surprised that Castlebar has a pride parade. I wonder is it mostly a load of straight allies trying to wind up the Burke family.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                'But What About The Parents?' - a response to that NYT article.

https://religiondispatches.org/but-w...s-rights-trap/
                                                Yeah, that's a tough battle. The absolute authority of parents is a pretty popular position across a pretty wide political spectrum.

Maybe someday we as a species will that trying to force kids to be somebody who they're not just alienates them.

Comment

The Burkes appear to be Westboro wannabees with a higher level of educational attainment

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    Maybe someday we as a species will that trying to force kids to be somebody who they're not just alienates them.
                                                    The thing that makes the recent outburst of transphobia over the last five years so weird, is that I thought that everyone had learned this lesson wrt gay kids. But it seems that a lot of people are no good at joined up thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X