No announcement yet.

The ttraaaanzzz lyffe and TTijmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A short, light piece on the AFC Wimbledon website today from a Dons fan who is trans

I am a Fan. I am an owner. I am you. I am transgender. I’m Shea Coffey.

I was born in Wimbledon, raised in Wimbledon, went to the boy’s school on the hill in Wimbledon, yes that one! Some of you reading this will recognise the surname, some of you liked me, some of you didn’t. It’s okay, I probably felt the same. Some of you who did know me won’t be surprised I’m transgender, you probably think it explains a lot.

Comment

This Arkansas legislation is horrific and clearly intended to drive trans kids to suicide. How the fuck can anyone justify allowing a teacher to deliberately torture a child by gratuitously addressing them with the wrong pronouns?

Comment

And they overrode the governor's veto with more than a 2/3 majority

Red state legislatures have become the laboratories of fascism

See also

https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1379608476167630849
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-04-2021, 12:31.

Comment

They didn't need any kind of supermajority, did they? I mean, they easily got one, but it wasn't needed. Was my understanding.

Jolyon Maugham has pointed out that the Arkansas legislation puts them in same position de jure as England is in de facto, mind.

Comment

It's notable (to me) that the governor vetoed the 'no treatment' bill, but not the 'no trans girls in sport' bill.

Racists are already using the trans girls in sports panic to go after cis girls they don't like. That's a feature, not a bug.

https://twitter.com/inlayterms/status/1379456977609310208

Comment

Yes, they only needed a simple majority because Arkansas is a very strange state.

Comment

Not a cult, oh no.

[URL="https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1379446154564358144"]https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/...46154564358144[/URL]
                Last edited by delicatemoth; 07-04-2021, 12:50.

Comment

Just put [TWEET] before the link, delete the url boxes, and the tweet will display, DM.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Yes, they only needed a simple majority because Arkansas is a very strange state.
                    So any veto is essentially pointless?

Comment

Yes

They appear to be entirely performative

Comment

https://lux-magazine.com/article/the-road-to-terfdom/

The road to T***dom.

Comment

Interesting piece about how & why women might get radicalised thru that place- I’m sorry to see Nora Mulready quoted as a voice of moderation

Comment

Why's that Nef?

I thought that article was good, but could have usefully discussed the views of Mumsnet's founders who, it can be assumed, are extremely TERF tolerant, and their linkage to the left-liberal media via the founder's partner.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                              I did an interview with Leicester City FC about being a trans football fan. https://www.lcfc.com/news/2075620/if...iven-an-honour
                              Thank you for doing this. We have indeed been given an honour.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                                Why's that Nef?

I thought that article was good, but could have usefully discussed the views of Mumsnet's founders who, it can be assumed, are extremely TERF tolerant, and their linkage to the left-liberal media via the founder's partner.
                                Because she was virulently anti Corbyn pro change U.K.and her Terfism seemed to be very much part of that package.

yes that’s an important point. Interesting to think how far that group have moved. I was reminded as it was Rachel Corrie’s birthday the other day that the current editor of the Guardian: co-wrote a theatre piece called “I am Rachel Corrie” based on her letters.

All the early pieces she wrote for the Guardian were about sex.

Comment

Aw, thank you Gerontophile . Good to see you back around these parts.

I'm both amused and irritated that BBC Radio Leicester, who were so keen to interview me after that LCFC piece was posted, haven't been in touch since. They actually took up a fair bit of my time and could have let me know they'd decided not to run it. I suspect my strategy of talking so much about politics that they couldn't edit all of it out may have led to them not bothering. I won't be doing anything like that again. Talking to the man from LCFC actually felt good, he was genuinely interested and respectful and I think that came across in the piece. The radio interview just felt by-the-numbers. It was interesting (sorry TonyC!) to watch a radio professional doing her bit though. We did it on Zoom.

Various states of the USA are floating bills that taken together would basically make them apartheid states for trans people and it is rather horrifying. However many may get struck down by the courts, or not make it beyond 'just an idea' stage, the overall effect is chilling. This horrible man Andrew Sullivan used the phrase "the trans question" the other day. Heh heh heh. Just asking questions.

At least I've been able to add Megan Rapinoe to my all-time favourite athletes list.

Comment

A ban on conversion therapy has reached committee stage in the Dail, and will be voted on in Stormont next week:

https://twitter.com/antictcoalition/status/1381879837334269952

Comment

https://twitter.com/paulduanefilm/status/1382390930746060800

Comment

I mean, I don't happen to be best friends with a trans person, but how sheltered do you have to be to have never met or interacted with any trans people?

Off the top of my head:
                                        - delicatemoth here
                                        - one of the physics professors at university was male to female trans (I had an argument with Germaine Greer at a debate because she said that this woman shouldn't be allowed to be involved in pastoral support at an all girl's college, my point was that she'd probably be excellent support for any students who didn't fit the cis / het norm or were questioning any aspect of their identity, or being persecuted by anyone as close minded as Germaine Greer)
                                        - a student on my university course took a year out to complete his female to male transition
                                        - one of my best friend's flatmate went through a female to male transition
                                        - another friend now has a niece who she previously knew as a nephew
                                        - I have trans colleagues at work

Do people just talk to me more about this stuff than average? Or do other people have incredibly narrow social circles? I think the likelihood is that lots of people know trans people and just don't realise that they do.

Comment

Yeah. I'm not sure "Most of these people have never met or spoken to a trans person" is true. It might be a bit like all those people in the 60s and 70s who thought they didn't know any gay people.

I imagine everyone has met loads of trans people. They just - probably - aren't aware of it. I don't want to put words in peoples' mouths but I suspect trans people don't generally spend their time actively advertising their transness.

Comment

OK, while we are on 'this', what the fuck is going on with that bunch of cunts, the "Alba" party? It's like every Scottish shithead joined together, and decided to run on a platform of a Cher song "Gypsies, Trans and Thieves", and the fucking Tories are all-in.

I am fucking furious, and I don't even live there.

*Sorry about the Cher thing. That was a freebie.
                                            Last edited by Gerontophile; 15-04-2021, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                              Or do other people have incredibly narrow social circles? I think the likelihood is that lots of people know trans people and just don't realise that they do.
                                              That's probably me, to be honest. And a narrow social circle, not through choice, but because of circumstances, geography, lifestyle and lots of other reasons.
                                              Last edited by Sporting; 15-04-2021, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                I mean, I don't happen to be best friends with a trans person, but how sheltered do you have to be to have never met or interacted with any trans people?

Off the top of my head:
                                                - delicatemoth here
                                                - one of the physics professors at university was male to female trans (I had an argument with Germaine Greer at a debate because she said that this woman shouldn't be allowed to be involved in pastoral support at an all girl's college, my point was that she'd probably be excellent support for any students who didn't fit the cis / het norm or were questioning any aspect of their identity, or being persecuted by anyone as close minded as Germaine Greer)
                                                - a student on my university course took a year out to complete his female to male transition
                                                - one of my best friend's flatmate went through a female to male transition
                                                - another friend now has a niece who she previously knew as a nephew
                                                - I have trans colleagues at work

Do people just talk to me more about this stuff than average? Or do other people have incredibly narrow social circles? I think the likelihood is that lots of people know trans people and just don't realise that they do.
                                                TBF, the author of the tweet is Irish, and even in Dublin, let alone the rest of the country, population density is much lower than England, which in turn reduces the likelihood of making the acquaintance of a trans person.

Comment

Gero, "Alba" have been excoriated in similar terms on the Hooray for Holyrood thread

I've had trans colleagues for most all of my professional life, but that is largely a reflection of working in large organisations headquartered in San Francisco and New York.

I don't think SB was being literal with either "everyone" or "loads"

Comment

The author of the tweet isn't saying they haven't met a trans person, they are saying that transphobes like on that interview behave as if they haven't ever.

Mentioned it in the Holyrood threads but the SNP promising yet more "consultation" or whatever on GRA reform, instead of just fucking doing it, is infuriating and pathetic.
                                                    Last edited by TonTon; 15-04-2021, 18:44.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X