No announcement yet.

The ttraaaanzzz lyffe and TTijmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn’t that exactly what they are thinking of and worrying* about being undermined?

* - baselessly!

Comment

A neat illustration of how nonsense about trans people is pushed by the UK press for clicks and concocted outrage.

https://twitter.com/2damntrans/status/1359635339179139072

Comment

Never underestimate the sheer craven cruelty of GOP state legislators

https://twitter.com/anthonymkreis/status/1359612223962951682

Comment

So the good news is that Helena Kennedy QC, charged by the Scottish government with leading a review on legislative options for protecting women, has made very clear that:

This is about hatred. Trans women, gay women, journalists, parliamentarians, all women get a whole lot of horrible stuff slung at them – disproportionately – and I’m not narrowing down those who receive it.
          The bad news is that the g**rdian piece reporting this, by L*bb* Br**ks, is a piece of bigoted anti-trans garbage. I have once again resolved to stop reading that shit.

Comment

She's fucking terrible. That their entire Scottish coverage is the unfiltered drivel herself and Severin Carrell come up with, it's really depressing.

Comment

When I want to share something from the guardian, I try to remember to use:

If you want readers to be able to click through and read the content for themselves, edit the URL to the Guardian article you're about to share and simply add 'dump' in front of the domain name.

www.theguardian.com/…www.dumptheguardian.com/…

The rest of the URL can stay the same. Anyone who clicks on the link will then reach our page which will automatically forward them on to an archived copy of the Guardian article hosted by the non-profit Internet Archive project.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Good point Jimski. It's fascinating to think which advantages are seen as "natural" and therefore acceptable (like say leo Messi's human growth hormone) and which are unfair.
                There’s been loads of shit written about the Williams sisters being manly, and it being unfair on the dainty blondes of the game.
                Not seen it so much in recent years, but it’s there.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                  There’s been loads of shit written about the Williams sisters being manly, and it being unfair on the dainty blondes of the game.
                  Not seen it so much in recent years, but it’s there.
                  Strange how, for example, Maria Sharapova's five-inch height advantage over Serena Williams doesn't seem to be regarded in quite the same way.

Comment

https://twitter.com/repmarienewman/status/1364963398727962638

Comment

They've changed their mind and reinstated Rep Newman's post, but I don't see how any defensible policy or algorithm removed it in the first place.

Comment

Intriguing deep dive thread on the idea that trans people are trojan horses for transhumanism, promoted by an influential federalist journalist who thought David Icke was "onto something", and the links between gandercrits, fascism and deep green people.

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1366489983574413317

Comment

These people . . .

Comment

A Green decides that it's not difficult enough for trans people to access healthcare in this country, and proposes a motion to make it a whole lot worse. This is evil.

https://twitter.com/ShahrarAli/status/1367461683510341632

Comment

Not just any old Green, but the "Home Affairs Spx", no less. Scumbag.

(Shouldn't the Home Affairs "Spx" know that what happens in Scotland is none of his or his party's fucking business?)

Comment

It's upsetting.

I'm glad Sian Berry has unequivocally come out in opposition. I'd have been happier if other high profile members (given that I can't imagine that any of them other than Jenny Jones support it) had done so rather than not saying anything.

Comment

Fucking HELL what is wrong with people?

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                    It's upsetting.

I'm glad Sian Berry has unequivocally come out in opposition. I'd have been happier if other high profile members (given that I can't imagine that any of them other than Jenny Jones support it) had done so rather than not saying anything.
                                    This. This is the big problem with the Greens. Not that they are all raging bigots, but that they keep quiet about raging bigotry.

Comment

Yeah, I think there's three reasons for it. 1 is that the Green Party rules don't allow you to publicly criticise other greens. 2 is that it's a small party and they don't want to lose people. 3 is that it's a small party and Ali and Jones have worked together with Lucas and Bartley etc for a long time which must make it trickier. All this is explanation not justification. They need to make it clear that they repudiate Ali's proposals.

Fortunately I think it's generational, and the under 50s Greens are much more sound and outspoken on the issue.

Comment

Yeah.

How does he get to be "Home Affairs Spx"? Is that elected?

Comment

I think if one is determined, it's relatively easy to become prominent in the GP and the kind of filter that is provided by holding elected office somewhere, anywhere, doesn't apply. Lots of people don't get tested and so people can't discover how brilliant/awful they are. The voting process for these positions is a crapshoot too, with turnout pretty low, voter information and awareness equally pretty low.

Comment

(I'm tangentially bemused as to how a motion about Scotland gets declared competent business)

Comment

The thing about this particular motion that is abhorrent is that my biggest fear (and I imagine that of the majority of UK trans people) is losing access to medical treatment. I think it's very hard for most cis people to grasp what this is like*. Waiting lists at gender clinics are now five years long in some places. It's then at least a year before you can even get the nod to go on hormones. Then you have to hope that your GP isn't one of the distressingly large number who will ignore a GIC recommendation and go "nah, I'm not doing this."

I don't like to stick up for a private health concern, but if you're trans and you can afford it, GenderGP provides a shortcut past this nightmare. It's where I'd go if I were cut off from NHS treatment. This is no idle fear. Trans youth lost access to treatment just a few months ago.

So "Green Party rules don't allow you to publicly criticise other greens" isn't really good enough for me. I understand that Berry has been as unequivocal as she can given those rules. I still don't think it's good enough. Do these rules mean that if a Green party member were to bring a motion proposing criminalisation of abortion or vaccination (both of which are controversial treatments as far as some are concerned) then it would go to their conference and intra-Green solidarity would prohibit proper condemnation?

*there are exceptions, generally disabled people, people with unusual conditions, women with conditions where treatment would affect their apparently all-important fertility

Comment

Agreed it is nowhere near good enough.

Comment

I agree. It's fine when the major debates are over nuclear and HS2 and electoral pacts, but not stuff like this.

Anyway, Ali is coming for the gays now.

https://twitter.com/martin_farley/status/1368358299704430592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Comment

He needs booting, and sharpish.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X