No announcement yet.

The ttraaaanzzz lyffe and TTijmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hungarian pronouns aren't gendered either.

(Though this shouldn't be read to mean that Hungarian pronouns are simple as this page will make clear - especially when you note that this is the appendix to the Hungarian pronoun section https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Hungarian pronouns)

Comment

Also, I see a lot of "he/him" type things, but why is "his" so commonly left out of the list?

Comment

Because it is largely a USian thing and "we" are very sloppy when it comes to language (and much else)

Comment

Well I would like to urge everyone to include the possessive pronoun in their list, please.

Comment

Is it not reasonable to infer "his" from he/him? Likewise hers and theirs? I mean are there any circumstances where that wouldn't follow? Genuine question, I'm happy to be corrected.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...9laEYq4eXc4Wv0

What are folks thoughts on this? Someone who identifies as a man is a man. A mother identifying as a father though? Is this a trivial lawsuit or clear discrimination?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                Is it not reasonable to infer "his" from he/him? Likewise hers and theirs? I mean are there any circumstances where that wouldn't follow? Genuine question, I'm happy to be corrected.
                There are some pronouns where long-established use means that it is probably fairly straightforward for most people familiar with the language to infer a possessive, yeah. But certainly far from all, and leaving the possessive to inference does seem a bit kinda missing the point anyway, to me.

Comment

Wasn't sure where to put this, and Books, ironically, is not a well-read forum. Jan Morris has died aged 94. Always a huge fan of her writing, and certainly one of the more prominent (and earliest) widely read trans writers, I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    Hungarian pronouns aren't gendered either.
                    A lot of pronouns in Hindi and closely related languages* aren't gendered, although the language uses grammatical gender. It's more concerned with distance from the speaker, the grammatical gender of the object possessed and honorifics. Like Chinese, it takes a bit of getting used to as an English speaker. (Well, it makes Duolingo harder.)

I don't have an email signature. I just write my name. Maybe I should, but they seem a bit OTT for emails used in a private capacity. Interested to know if other OTFers have a sig on personal emails. Now I have no management role, 99% of my work emails are of the "Hi, here's that [thing] you wanted. ChrisJ," variety. Most of my colleagues sign internal emails with their first name, an emoji and between one and three Xs. Probably not helpful, soz.

My immediate response to the case that FOA linked is that the system is unfit if it insists that parents have to fit one of two categories on a birth certificate. I'm not able to see how the rights of the child would be infringed if the certificate named biological parent(s) without needing further specification. If you had to, for some reason, you could specify birth parent, I suppose. Am I missing something?

*I think. Nepali has some gendering.

Comment

Oh, 2020 takes another good one from us (unless she had dodgy stuff that I'm unaware of). Big fan of her writing, also.

Comment

I only read a couple of her books but was always taken with her knowledge and writing. I loved “Trieste and The Meaning Of Nowhere”, which would have been great for the title alone.

Comment

Good to see the TUC doing something

https://twitter.com/the_tuc/status/1329484587274100744?s=21

sad about Jan Morris. She was a pretty well known writer and journalist before she transitioned- I think as a writer she wax quite special. as she was in her straightforwardness , though class made things possible for her that might not have been possible for others.

Comment

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1329815610180710401

Comment

Originally posted by via vicaria View Post
                              Wasn't sure where to put this, and Books, ironically, is not a well-read forum. Jan Morris has died aged 94. Always a huge fan of her writing, and certainly one of the more prominent (and earliest) widely read trans writers, I would have thought.
                              I wrote an as yet unpublished article about her last year so have some expertise. She got annoyed with Dick Cavett when he interviewed her and only wanted to talk about her transition not her work. Her writing on Venice is definitive and her 1974 memoir is beautiful, without being a work that explores trans theory, which was still in its infancy then.

Her partnership with Elizabeth is one of the great love stories. They were forced to divorce but stayed together.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-11-2020, 19:46.

Comment

It’s nice to see a stack of positive tributes to Jan Morris, and only the (very) odd mean post misgendering her.
                                Prize for Solipsism to Boy George “Jan Morris, who once wrote about me”.

Comment

Working...
                                X