The ttraaaanzzz lyffe and TTijmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes

How far do ideas you explored in that book 30 years ago help explain how the trans rights debate has moved into mainstream culture and politics?

Judith Butler: I want to first question whether trans-exclusionary feminists are really the same as mainstream feminists. If you are right to identify the one with the other, then a feminist position opposing transphobia is a marginal position. I think this may be wrong...
    In an open letter she published in June, JK Rowling articulated the concern that this would "throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he’s a woman", potentially putting women at risk of violence.

JB: If we look closely at the example that you characterise as “mainstream” we can see that a domain of fantasy is at work, one which reflects more about the feminist who has such a fear than any actually existing situation in trans life. The feminist who holds such a view presumes that the penis does define the person, and that anyone with a penis would identify as a woman for the purposes of entering such changing rooms and posing a threat to the women inside. It assumes that the penis is the threat, or that any person who has a penis who identifies as a woman is engaging in a base, deceitful, and harmful form of disguise. This is a rich fantasy, and one that comes from powerful fears, but it does not describe a social reality. Trans women are often discriminated against in men’s bathrooms, and their modes of self-identification are ways of describing a lived reality, one that cannot be captured or regulated by the fantasies brought to bear upon them. The fact that such fantasies pass as public argument is itself cause for worry.

Comment

This was my favourite bit:

AF: In Gender Trouble you asked whether, by seeking to represent a particular idea of women, feminists participate in the same dynamics of oppression and heteronormativity that they are trying to shift. In the light of the bitter arguments playing out within feminism now, does the same still apply?

JB: As I remember the argument in Gender Trouble (written more than 30 years ago), the point was rather different.

Comment

All the celebrity opinions stuff is quite disconcerting. You get bits where people you've always admired, even close to idolised, turn out to be horrible (M. Navratilova) and then you get people you didn't really think about turning out to be really sound (Jedward, N. Lawson (not the ex-chancellor, the cooking one)).

But I understand the Labour Party's Women Connect online conference event was brigaded by anti-trans bigots on their crap. That is literally trying to hound a small minority out of the party.

In better news the BMA and TUC have backed self-ID, I think? I'm a bit vague and can't-be-arsed-to-keep-up-with-details at the moment. Govt have kicked out GRA reform.

Thoughts for the day:-

https://twitter.com/mckenziewark/status/1308590954228658179

Comment

Great stuff from Judith Butler. Predictably, social media is full of people who've never read her (and probably a few who've never heard of her) denigrating her work.

Comment

Plenty of those pundits are all in established media too and it really is like having a bunch of creationists there - they are noisily and fundamentally wrong about the topic they spend most time opining on.

I haven't read the Butler yet. Seen various comments phrasing it but also pointing out that she simply says what a lot of trans people have been saying but wouldn't get in the NStatesman or Guardian to talk about, so I probably should so I can see for myself.

Comment

My mentions are a mess of people slagging off Butler when they clearly haven’t read her or ANY philosophy, so are all up in arms at the fact that her writing is difficult.
              As opposed to all those simple works of philosophy.

Comment

Thread:

https://twitter.com/chimenesuleyman/status/1309036785671049217

Comment

I don't think for a second that many of them believe it, but it's a convenient hook upon which to hang one's prejudice.

Comment

There's a gang-up on @sally_hines, could do with a follow and some likes. She's a professor at Sheffield, author of Is Gender Fluid? Last night snapped and swore on Twitter, now the lovely female women terrrrrvvves are reporting her to her university.

Comment

I will go on later and start to follow her.

Comment

She's absolutely right among them being thick as fuck

Comment

On a positive note, a trans woman is now Belgium's deputy prime minister.

Comment

The only NHS pathway to being prescribed hormones and other medical care is through a GIC (Gender Identity Clinic). You have to wait till at least your second appointment (gaps of six months or more between appointments) and usually later. Waiting lists to see GICs are now up to four years in the case of Leeds, not much less elsewhere. For this reason a lot of people go private if they can.

The largest private provider of prescriptions to UK trans people has been cut off by its chemist.

https://twitter.com/GenderGP/status/1313905523335585793

Comment

This is very good, though may be paywalled for some.

Strangio is one of the most brutally honest people I have ever met and a hell of a lawyer.

https://twitter.com/ursus_arctos59/status/1317505389508894721

Comment

Working...
                              X