No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

She took some photos sompresumably the new owner was alright with it. It had changed a lot inside, as the new owners had strangely decided purple and yellow ceiling panels weren't their thing.
    Really makes you wonder why they bought the place.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Those miscellaneous cables and wires running hither and yon is a big feature of UK houses, it seems.

Yes, we still have telephone landlines taken to houses at roof-height from wooden poles.

And yes, it's a palm tree. They're fairly common in the UK (especially the temperate climes of SW England) and Ireland:

Comment

WOM would find my house especially troublesome to look at if cables are to be avoided. But I think a day spent in a city in the global south would be the real test. I think Dhaka is the most cable entangled city I've ever seen.

Comment

A lovely post GO, hope you're ok. The memories will be with you even if the house isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            WOM would find my house especially troublesome to look at if cables are to be avoided. But I think a day spent in a city in the global south would be the real test. I think Dhaka is the most cable entangled city I've ever seen.

That is some proper cable soup, that.

Comment

Not on the same level but the school where i lived as a boarder did not open its gates yesterday after 85 years on the same site. Not even its unlikely dalliance with reality tv could save it; the Austrian order that ran it, always on an absurdly small budget, now seems to be globalising its activities away from Norfolk. Amazingly the head teacher Sr Francis, aka Big Fanny, is involved with the replacement school; she was impossibly old when i was there. i'm sure she sincerely believed that one day i would see the light and actively enjoy eating reheated steak pie, rather than picking it up and trying to hide it in my schoolbag while she was distracted. Sorry Fan. i'm a vegetarian.

i only lived there for a few years but if i come back as a ghost i wouldn't be surprised that it's the place i end up haunting.

Lovely post, Gangster O. Thank you.
              Last edited by laverte; 04-09-2019, 19:09.

Comment

The house finally went on Wednesday. My last photo from the sitting room. There's a squirrel and magpie out there somewhere...

Comment

GO, my grandmother bought a farm in 1948, and I was the third generation in it, and my daughter was the 4th. We sold it in 2008, and have since lived in New Orleans, LA; Washington's Crossing NJ, and now Paraguay.

What comforts me is that our sun is travelling around Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way, and for the entirety of human existence we still haven't even completed 1 galactic year - which takes approximately 250 million years. We've never been in the same location for all of our entire existence.

In 1 galactic year, all of America will be flush pressed against Asia, to form a supercontinent tentatively named Amasia.

All of the trees in Rotherdam, all of the nature, will still be there for others.

It will always be with you, and the lessons that house and land taught you will carry on where ever you go.

Comment

Working...
                  X