Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seventy five years ago my grandpa bought an fairly uninteresting detached house down a small lane with a reasonable garden, backing onto the main cemetery in Rotherham. He moved in with his family: wife and three children. Over the years, he added bits to both the house and the grounds and the children, obviously, grew up. My father went to the grammar school which was about two hundred yards away...

Eventually, (arguably a little too early) his children started producing grand-children, seven of us were born into the house, me and three of my siblings and three of my cousins. I (having spend a long time with my other grandparents (another story)) and my family moved into one of the Georgian terraces that are between the road and the house in the early sixties. We could go down and see our grandparents at the end of the garden whenever we wanted to. And I wanted to, to see Thunderbirds, 'cos we couldn't watch ITV at home, so I'd wander through the garden and my grandparents would let me watch it. Grandparents always allow you to do what your mother doesn't...

In May 1966 we bought the house from grandpa, taking part of the garden with us. The place was amazing. We had more apple trees than you could shake a stick at. Two lawns. (Although father wasn't keen on us playing on them.) A wood. A wall against the cemetery. No-one else lived anywhere liked this.

In our teenage years 86 became a haven for not just ourselves, but any of our friends who were about. There's a thread on Facebook where an unexpectedly large number of saying how much they enjoyed the freedom of our house.

Father expanded the area a little more, and created a pond that's been home to various fish, frogs and a few ravaging birds. In Autumn we'd get the starlings swarming in the trees as they got ready for their migration. Lots of birds, foxes and I once saw a stout. There were also shrews, until our first cat made sure that there weren't...

Even after I moved to London and made my own home with my wife, I always have thought of 86 as my second base. Almost always my wife and I have stayed at different places in Rotherham. She's stayed at her parent's place 'cos she couldn't cope with the chaos, and I stayed at 86 'cos I couldn't cope with the niceness...

Anyway, some off it died with my mother, back in 2007, and then my father died in 2010. Both died in their own home, which is (I think) what they wanted. The place became a bit stale for a while, but then my sisters both started to turn it back into a home. Sadly it was a home that their incomes just couldn't afford, so it's got to go.

And it does this week. Today is the last day for me in the place that I've known as a home all of my life.

Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 02-09-2019, 23:25. Reason: Darn, the photos haven't worked...

Comment

That reminds me, we've got wibbly-wobbly walls...

Comment

I'm so sorry. I know you must feel like you're losing a family member. Hopefully the new residents will treat it with the love and care it deserves. x

Comment

That's a lovely tribute, GO. You've got some great memories and those are in your head not the building.

I find it hard to believe that you've only seen a stout on one occasion though

Comment

Beautiful post, GO. Such a long, lovely history in one place. It sounds like it was a great place to grow up and grow old.

Comment

Nice post, GO. I remember when my mother sold the house that I'd been born in, would've been c.2007 - I'd been living away from there for 20 years, bar a couple of months, but still used it as a base whenever I went 'home' to West Cumbria. Walking away from it for the last time, knowing I'd never go in there again was the strangest feeling.

Comment

It was difficult/emotional enough clearing and leaving my folks’ nondescript Dunfermline house they’d only lived in since the 80s and I’d never lived in, so I can only imagine the wrench

Comment

Lovely post GO. I remember when my Dad sold our old family house in 86 it felt like a huge wrench. But we'd only been there 21 years.

Comment

Lovely post GO. What kind of bits and bobs did they add on to the house and grounds over the years? It sounds a wonderfully unique place.

Comment

My Mum is talking on and off about selling the house now it's just her. I think she should but it will be very weird not being able to ever go back there. We moved in in 1984. I left in 1994 to go to uni and never lived at home again, particularly after they gave my room away to my foster sister. But it's still 'home' in a sense. Mum's new place will be Mum's house.

Be kind to yourself, GO.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        I think she should but it will be very weird not being able to ever go back there.
                        I thought the same thing after we sold mom and dad's place. But you just have to make sure you only go back while the new owners are sleeping, so it's not weird for them.

Comment

My childhood home was a nondescript terraced house in a rough area. I was delighted when my parents moved out and I have next to no affection for the place nor desire to see it again.

Here it is with a battered skip in the front garden: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41...7i16384!8i8192

Comment

Those miscellaneous cables and wires running hither and yon is a big feature of UK houses, it seems.

Comment

One can do that when five metres of snow every year aren't a given

Comment

What type of trees are those that look like palm trees? I can see two on the street.

Comment

Palm trees can grow in the UK, sport.

Comment

Srsly? Well shit....

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I thought the same thing after we sold mom and dad's place. But you just have to make sure you only go back while the new owners are sleeping, so it's not weird for them.
                                      My gran lived in her house from 1948 until 2001, and obviously it was where my mum grew up. As my gran hadn't done any decoration since the mid 70s, my mum was interested to see how it would be modernised and knocked on the new owners door to have a look round four or five years later.

Comment

How did that go?

Comment

Srsly

Comment

We have several palm trees in our street.

Comment

Fascinating. I'd be all over palm trees if I lived there. That's one of the many appeals of Florida....

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                How did that go?
                                                She took some photos sompresumably the new owner was alright with it. It had changed a lot inside, as the new owners had strangely decided purple and yellow ceiling panels weren't their thing.

Comment

I guess that you already have the requisite wardrobe

Comment

Working...
                                                  X