Ryanair strike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    The miserly low cost model they pioneer has really fucked over the travel industry and not just airlines. Stansted is a great example. There was a time when travelling there and flying out of there was a pleasure, now you get fleeced just getting there, whether it is the Train journey, parking, check in and security which seem to be in place to fleece you and make your experience as miserable as possible.
    Oh, yes. I don't know whether Ryanair have the same sort of Faustian pact with Stansted like BA's with Heathrow but it was the ground version of Ryanair fighting my way through there. I know that all UK airports are shopping malls with planes but Stansted's IKEA-style tat-lined maze is terrible to negotiate especially when you haven't got much time after the cattle truck recreation that is their check-in and passport control has delayed you for ages. That the hotel that we stayed the night before in a motorway services was a more pleasant experience - even including a power cut- says volumes. Again the staff were excellent, freindly and helpful. It's like an inverse relationship.

Comment

I couldn't possibly comment about any such bargain

Comment

I don't single out Ryanair for the paying for everything in particular, by the way. I know what I am sacrificing for my hypocritical low price travel. However, it is the fact that they have now started gouging the size of even the small baggage you can fit under the seat for free.

BA staff to go on strike, by the way. I hate BA as well.

Comment

Yeh their new whizz of basically forcing everyone to pay for "priority" boarding is egregious to fuck.

They also used to pay different levels of compensation depending on where you were from. Customers complaining from Germany Spain, Italy and France got all they asked for (even more than required under the letter of EU 261), while Brits and the Irish got the bare minimum if they were lucky. Cos of the differing approaches of National Regulators, who are very much hands off Market Friendly supine bastards in Ukania or the 26.

All on MoL's orders.Scum scum scum he is.

Comment

Probably not worth its own thread, and there was some Easyjet discussion here, but Stelios is suing the Torygraph. Presumably for this piece, though I don't know

Comment

This isn't worth its own thread either but I'll mention it here in case others are in the same boat, or perhaps plane.

I had Easyjet flights booked long ago for three of us to go to Madrid in early July. I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago saying that the flights were cancelled, but due to the uncertainty they understood if we wanted to make other plans so they offered a voucher to the value of the flights, plus 10 pounds. The small print then said 1) the voucher had to be used within 12 months of the date of issue 2) it had to be for those named on the original booking 3) the voucher could only be used for those three people to make one return trip 4) if the value of the new flight was less than the original, there would be no refund and 5) I had until 23 June to decide. When going into the website to check these options you can actually find a way through to start requesting an actual refund, but then was faced with things to click on whether the flights were within the next 14 days and/or whether you had received an email saying they had been cancelled, and kept ending up in the same spot of "your flight has not been cancelled, but you can request a voucher".

So I left it to 23 June, looked on the app and saw that the outward flight was cancelled (they hadn't emailed about this previously). So I was then able to thread my way through the website - at every step being asked if I wanted a voucher, in big font, and looking for the much smaller font options that kept me on track for a refund - to get to a screen that let me put in my booking details and request a full cash refund for what was, after all, a cancelled flight. Interestingly once you get past all of this it tells you that you can request a refund any time up to 12 months after the cancelled flight. Then and only then did I receive an email saying the flight had been cancelled, which may have been a co-incidence but it was suspiciously rapidly after I made the refund request.

Anyway, can see for business reasons why they are keen to hold on to people's money for another year but there are some sneaky practices going on along the way. It is made very clear that if you don't accept the voucher by the 14-days-before deadline you can still change the flights, but at an admin cost of 32 pounds per person per flight, which would be nearly 200 pounds in this case.

Contrast this with Icelandair, who I have other flights with later in the summer (to the US) - on their website the offer is you can take a full credit now, you can use it for multiple flights, different people etc. I'll still hang on for the inevitable cancellation knowing I still have options, without being badgered into a choice like Easyjet were trying to do.

Comment

Working...
              X