No announcement yet.

Small wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stick a quid in the quiz machine to play Deal or No Deal, except it turned out to be a video slot. Pressed one button, shit went down, I won £40 without knowing what the fuck was going on.

Comment

Got two DVD box sets in the local video shop - Godfather trilogy and four Hitchcock classics. Total price - €22!

Comment

Slightly more than a small win but Mrs AE got a tax rebate of a little over £8.5k. We had filled out all the forms for marriage allowances and transfer of allowances etc years ago but it seems they've only just been processed. She'd been taxed on all of earnings since we moved to the UK so it looks like we've got that back.

I've been trying to open a bank account with this money for little Miss AE but it appears that you need an appointment and can't just turn up. That's a job for the future.

Comment

That’s fantastic-and well deserved- news AE.

Comment

My local little tesco's doesn't usually do reasonably-priced yellow-sticker items. But on Friday I popped in to get a loaf of bread and found two pots of dried pineapple for 13p each (my daughter loves them), an aubergine for 40p, some cheddar mash for 54p and a pear for 20p. Score!

Comment

There's a bus from town that runs right past my front door but it runs once an hour and then only on weekdays between the hours of 0700-1800 so entirely impractical so it's easier to just get the 21 that runs every ten minutes but means a good ten minute walk up the hill to home.

So with the rain lashing down on Friday afternoon there was the 19 sitting at the stop in town with the driver preparing to leave. He montioned me on and said he was running ten minutes late so to pay when I got off. When I reached my stop and went to give him my cash, 'nah don't worry about it'. Result all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                My local little tesco's doesn't usually do reasonably-priced yellow-sticker items.
                Tell me about it. "This was £2.50, but now it's about to go mouldy we want £1.98 for it" - get lost.

Comment

We popped into a typically-overpriced supermarket we don't usually visit to see if they had something that was out-of-stock at our usual discount place. (They did...so we bought 2.) But they had a weird deletion cart with boxes and boxes of our regular tea; 72 bags for $1.44. So we bought six boxes like weirdos would.

Comment

You have too much space.

Comment

Quite. And most of it filled with things we don't really need. But tea bags...we use those daily.

Comment

So how long will 432 teabags last you?

Comment

However many days 432 divided by 2 is. Roughly.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                              Slightly more than a small win but Mrs AE got a tax rebate of a little over £8.5k. We had filled out all the forms for marriage allowances and transfer of allowances etc years ago but it seems they've only just been processed. She'd been taxed on all of earnings since we moved to the UK so it looks like we've got that back.

I've been trying to open a bank account with this money for little Miss AE but it appears that you need an appointment and can't just turn up. That's a job for the future.

Excellent! It's about time you got a break!

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
                                Sometimes my wife will have a pot of tea with my daughter before I get home. That's a 3-bag day and throws off the calculations. But they'll last a good long while. I mean....2 cents a bag, man, how could you refuse?

Comment

Me? By valuing things other than money, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Me? By valuing things other than money, I guess.
                                    If you'd pare down your photo library, you'd have room to stockpile tea.

Comment

That tea would last me basically for ever. My executor would have to deal with it.

Comment

"I leave my $1.37 worth of stale tea to WOM"

Comment

The shrink-wrap the boxes you know...

Comment

It still gets stale,.you know.

When dealing with an estate, I'd rather encounter photos than tea bags.

Comment

I grew tired of Virgin Media's price gouging, so went to the darker side and switched to Sky for Broadband and TV. The young lad came to do the Broadband, and after drilling through our solid Yorkshire stone and breaking his drill bit he realised he'd drilled to under the path (it's on a slope). He flagged down another Openreach dude further down the street and used his drill bit to drill an actual hole, and by the end of the afternoon he'd got the Broadband set up, speed boosted and it all works fine. However when he tried to do the final tests to close the job, he couldn't complete it, something about not getting an earth, which wouldn't surprise me with our ancient and somewhat flaky electrics. Anyway, he buggered off, saying he'd come back the next day and complete it, which he did (well, he came back and was fiddling about outside). This was Jan 28/29.

But then Sky are texting saying sorry our engineer missed his appointment, please reschedule. I ring and say no need, but they say no, they must come again, and rearranged for yesterday, when they didn't show. I called again and explained, and a more knowledgable sounding guy said, OK, we'll get Openreach to close the job remotely, no need for a visit. We'll do it tomorrow.
                                              Today I get a text saying "we are still working to resolve the problem, we'll update you on 25/2/20.

On to the wins: the Broadband is working fine, seems quick and is less prone to dropping than Virgin. But, because the status of the job is incomplete, Sky can't start billing me, because their system says I don't have Broadband. Plus they are part of OfCom's compensation scheme, which is £25 for a missed appointment (of which I've had 1, but their system probably says 2), and £5 per day of "no service", of which there have been 25 so far.
                                              So due to a combination of my house's crumbling infrastructure an engineer's inexperience, and a stalemate between the respective systems of Sky and Openreach, Sky are basically paying me to receive their broadband. I wonder how long I can spin this out for?

Comment

My kids love Mr Men and Little Miss books. We have virtually all the standard books apart from the new ones (Mr Adventure and Little Miss Inventor). When we were in a bookshop yesterday, we saw a copy of Mr Adventure and I almost bought it, but we're trying to save money and the kids haven't been looking after their books very well recently, so I decided against it. Then today, when I was collecting my son from nursery, I found a big basket of books outside saying "free to a good home". Now, putting aside the slightly judgemental nature of the notice (surely a 'bad home' would benefit even more from free books?), I was thrilled to discover about 20 large size Mr Men books. These ones are where they're milking the franchise for all its worth (Mr Greedy and the Gingerbread Man, Mr Noisy and the Giant, Mr Worry's Christmas, Little Miss Trouble Changes Colour, etc). I've brought them all home. That's entertainment sorted for at least three evenings.

Comment

My problem with the Mr Men books is that I always end up reading them doing a bad impression of Arthur Lowe.

Comment

Stupid boy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X