• Show
Clear All

she said they all stood for the anthem, took off their hats

You fucking what?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post

You fucking what?
      Having said that, I'm going to become a German in two weeks. I passed the test - one wrong answer; "How many Verfassungsinstanzen are there?" Er, don't understand the question -, so I can now swear my allegiance.

And if they say, "Sing the national anthem or fuck off", then I'll do it.

Comment

You fucking what?
        Well, you don't have to sing it. You just have to stand for it. I can stomach that much.

Comment

Is this some kind of weird opening day ritual?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Well, you don't have to sing it. You just have to stand for it. I can stomach that much.
            What, you were actually there?

Comment

What, you were actually there?
              No, but I went to a major league baseball game last week. They pull the same routine there.

Comment

Which is also idiotic, but is not mandatory for children under 16 nor funded by taxpayers, while also being widely ignored by latecomers and people in the concourses.

Comment

I don't know about Canada, but pretty much nobody ever sings the US national anthem. Almost nobody is capable of singing it. That's why you have overtrained warbling teenagers doing it at sporting events while everyone "respectfully" listens, rather than having a big old singalong.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

No, but I went to a major league baseball game last week. They pull the same routine there.
                    Yes, but aren't Canadians shit at baseball? Standing up for a load of shit baseballists? Nah.

Comment

Or is your national anthem good, i.e. as good as the French one? If so: You can still ram it, only slightly less hard.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        I don't know about Canada, but pretty much nobody ever sings the US national anthem.
                        I'm not having that. I've seen the films. They ALL sing it, or at least put their right hand on their chest.

Comment

Yeah, they all put their hands on their chest, take their hat off, maybe mumble or mouth a couple of the words about torn flags. But very few people actually sing it because it's really hard to sing.

Comment

When they finally change it from that ridiculous thing about tatty flags during a silly war against a tin-pot island off the north coast of Europe to This Land Is Your Land, then everyone will be able to sing along.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              They are made to the same specifications as those in the New York City Subway
                              There's nothing wrong with the speakers. It's the person making the announcement. They are required to shove a styrofoam cup in their mouth before speaking.

Comment

Yeah, they all put their hands on their chest, take their hat off, maybe mumble or mouth a couple of the words about torn flags. But very few people actually sing it because it's really hard to sing.
                                Yes, all right, I just looked up the lyrics. They're more than a bit shit.

Can't it be changed to something by Bruce Springsteen or Billy Joel? Or, seeing as Gretha Thunberg is over there at the moment, something written by a Swede? My stepsister-in-law knows Gretha's dad, my stepmama-in-law know somebody who knows Agnetha Faltskög.

I'll have a word.

Comment

Gaelic games always play the anthem, at the final, you have 82,000, a large proportion of whom are pissed, sing along with gusto. However, at the start of the season,in half empty stadiums, you have what sounds like a group of people, who feel like they have to sing the anthem, but they're holding a baby that they've just got to sleep.

Comment

Firstly, I am trying to imagine getting my kids to stand for the national anthem every day and then I am trying to imagine them singing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau"

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                      Firstly, I am trying to imagine getting my kids to stand for the national anthem every day and then I am trying to imagine them singing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau"
                                      You should start this tradition. Teach them the old, true ways of the Britons.

Comment

Long time lurker; first time poster (on 'Small wins').

I was given a brand new bank note - and a whole raft of clean, shiny, brand new coins for my change yesterday. I felt like crying, it was so beautiful. Tanzanian currency (paper and coinage) is usually most unsavoury.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                          Gaelic games always play the anthem
                                          And when that comes on the telly in Irish pubs round Harrow, certain folk will stand and glare at anyone not standing...

Comment

I don't know about Canada, but pretty much nobody ever sings the US national anthem. Almost nobody is capable of singing it.
                                            I'd hazard that 25% to 35% of the crowd sings along. It's noticeable, that's for sure. And of course, we get both the US and Canadian anthems at all our events, because we're never playing another Canadian team and / or we're playing in an American league.

Comment

Yes, but aren't Canadians shit at baseball? Standing up for a load of shit baseballists? Nah.
                                              Our Domincans and Cubans are as good as anyone else's Dominicans and Cubans. Maybe better. In '93/'94 they were better than everyone. And there's often one Canadian-born player on the team. A few years back we had two.

Comment

There are still seven Canadian teams in the NHL, WOM. And they don't play the US anthem if there isn't a US team on the ice.

None in the CFL, either, even though most of the players are US citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  There are still seven Canadian teams in the NHL, WOM. And they don't play the US anthem if there isn't a US team on the ice.
                                                  Hockey? Do I look like I'm 55+ and from Oshawa?

Comment

Wait...maybe don't answer that....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X